TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Why I like Haldex over Torsen: Round 2 (Life In The Real World)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reread my post

By "perpendicular to the road" I meant "perpendicular to the plane of the road" not the direction the road is going.

When the front slips and the power is moved to the rear, you accelerate faster than if there had been no transfer of power. This acceleration moves the weight to the rear and takes weight off the front. Less weight on the front = less traction at the front wheels = understeer.
Old 08-02-2001, 03:16 PM

I did.
Old 08-02-2001, 03:24 PM

I think you'll need Crayons
Old 08-02-2001, 03:33 PM

Default Re: I did.

You're giving TT drivers a bad name. What are you like 13? Do you even DRIVE a TT? Based on your reading comprehension skills and automotive knowledge it sounds like you don't.

The TT is a GREAT car the A4 is a GREAT car but they are TOTALLY different. They HAD to give the TT a Haldex system. It's a GREAT system and so is the Torsen.

Grow the hell up!
Old 08-02-2001, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or devoted. :-)
Old 08-02-2001, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts
Default The problem is simple ...

The Haldex differential is much older than the Torsen. If you read some of the patents used by Torsen, you'll understand that it was designed precisely to overcome the inherent problems with thee Haldex system.

Primarily, the Haldex system is slow and lossy -- it draws too much power from the drive train. Also, it is a passive system -- it requires the wheels to slip before it can operate, while the Torsen is active -- it anticipates wheel spin and redirects torque before wheel spin can occur.

Comparing the Haldex system to the Torsen system is like comparing an old B & W television to a Sony VEGA. There's nothing wrong with the older system, and it's still cheaper to produce, but it has no advantages.

I like the Haldex system just fine, but if I can afford a Torsen differential-equipped car, I'm gonna buy it!
Old 08-02-2001, 03:39 PM

That's what this flamer needed.... more gasoline
Old 08-02-2001, 03:50 PM

Default I apologize for offending a Forum frequenter such as yourself:

Account information
Account ID #: 23357
Name: Amulet_TT

Forums
Total posts: 7
Moderated posts: 0
Deleted posts: 1
Old 08-02-2001, 03:53 PM

Default Do you really mean perpendicular to the road?

I would think if you are on a hill the force would no longer be perpendicular to the road's surface, but rather be pointing in the same direction as gravity.

"Perpendicular to the plane of the road" would be the "normal" to the road. If the majority of the force comes from the weight of the car then that's because there is gravity. If it is gravity you speak of, then the force is only pointing down. This is not necessarily the direction of the force in question.

{addition: down is the opposite of up. Up = "the direction opposite to the plane of gravitational pull" ... the one I've always loved is "in a direction conventionally the opposite of down."}

Oh, and this isn't a flame, but trying to understand. I have no idea why this topic seems to keep coming up. I think they both are good systems. They both have a place. I don't care if one is cheap. I have faith that Audi is using components it expects will last and perform as desired.
Old 08-02-2001, 03:53 PM

Default Why would you refer to me as a flamer, Troy?

My post of yesterday and this post of today was meant to invoke a constructive dialog, which is the inherent purpose of these forums.

I believe it was you who stated "Shove your poll up you *** buddy."

Quick Reply: Why I like Haldex over Torsen: Round 2 (Life In The Real World)