TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Why not add this spoiler to the TT?...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-1999, 08:06 PM
Brad Willis

Default Why not add this spoiler to the TT?...

Most of you know that the TT can exhibit potential instability at very high speeds (well over 100 mph). For anyone not familiar with this, just click on the search button and type in the word instability. You'll be looking for one of my posts dated 7-6-99 entitled "Problems with TT Quattro at high speeds (long)..."<p>Anyway, there's been some discussion here about spoilers, most of which are terribly ugly aftermarket versions. I was just looking at some data on the turbo Beetle, which incorporates a spoiler that pops up automatically at speeds exceeding 93 mph.<p>This spoiler can also be raised at will by pressing a small button hidden underneath the left side of the dash. When not in use, the spoiler lies flat against the turbo Beetles rear roof so that it doesn't spoil the car's curvaceous lines. It seems to me that this spoiler would work very well on the TT too. It would generate needed additional downward force at high speeds, yet not screw up the TT's beautiful lines. Here is a close-up photo of it. So what do you think, would it work and given a choice, would rather have it or not? <br>
Old 08-09-1999, 08:34 PM
Chuck Caldarale

Default Re: Why not add this spoiler to the TT?...

Not sure there's room above the rear window due to the hinges for the hatch. Forward of the hatch line, the TT roof gets pretty horizontal, and anything there would produce more drag than downforce. I noticed the two TTs at the 'Ring had wings at the bottom of the back window. Might be easier to rig a retractable spoiler back there - should be more room in the hatch lid for the mechanism. Probably not going to experiment on mine, though :-) - whenever it shows up.<p>
Old 08-09-1999, 09:26 PM
Byron

Default Turbo New Beetle has shorter rear glass

<br>It doesnt have to go up above the rear window as you said. the Turbo beetle actually has a shorter rear glass area, and the wing fits in the area that is glass on normal beetles. I have friends with both kinds of beetles and the wing is a beautiful solution. He says the switch under the dash is well hidden and requires practice to find while moving.
Old 08-10-1999, 03:05 AM
Ari Jay Comet

Default Spoiler potential....

Did you check out the pics Greg posted of the TT's in race form? The yellow one(s) had some nice little soilers... not too large..<p>But I agree, the TT would fare well with a turbo-beetle-style spoiler... however, to fit one that only comes out at high speeds would be damn expensive...<p>I'm in hopes that someone will create a both useful as wella s cosmetically attractive unit for the Audi- and yes, it seems to maake sense that it would actually go where you put the beetle spoiler... ABOVE THE GLASS!
Old 08-10-1999, 04:14 AM
Hamakua_Boy aka Jason Major.

Default What about the glass?

Brad, or whoever reads this, (I'm curious) wouldn't the resultant downforce warp, alter, or dammage the glass, Or is there enough structural support there to prevent any force or energy from beind trasfered to or through the glass (This, of course, is assuming if the spoiler were on top)?