TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Why only front brake kits for TT... why not rear too???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2001, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why only front brake kits for TT... why not rear too???

When I was looking to do my brakes, I always read you should do all four corners to keep things in balance.... So I purchased a complete kit... 13" front and 12" rear.

I've noticed for the TT though, that only the fronts are offered?? What about the rears?? Do you just upgrade the pads in the rear and forget about it?
Old 02-26-2001, 12:47 PM
Elder Member

Default Not true . . .

You can get rear brake kits if you want them . . .

Vortrag offers both front and rear kits from Alcon. They have 3 or 4 different front kits. I think only one rear kit.

You can get rear brake kits from MovIt as well. They offer a few Porsche front brake kits and I think one Brembo rear kit, not certain if it is a Porsche kit or not.

You can always put on any caliper you want and have a bracket created for the Brembo rear parking brake caliper. That is really what a good aftermarket kit would consist of anyway. Most people skip the rears either because of the expense or because it usually eliminates the parking brake.

I will be doing something slightly different for my rear brakes when I get around to doing them. I plan on having a set of rotors made that are the same size as the 225TT rotors and getting a set of 225 calipers. Since I know the biggest problem with the brakes is the crappy rotors, the rear single piston calipers from the 225 will do just fine in my car. If for some reason that turns out to be not the case, I will find something else and possibly just spend the $1,500+ on a set of rear brakes from Vortrag.
Old 02-26-2001, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I talked with Brembo if it is possible to put my OEM front brakes in the rear when they install the

the fronts and they told me that it is not even worth the hassle and that since the TT is primarly a frontwheel drive, that the cost of upgrading the rears is not worth the minimal performance upgrade.

I'm sure that someone else will have more knowledge on this for you.
Old 02-26-2001, 12:53 PM
Elder Member

Default If you were to move the fronts to teh rear . . .

You would need a bracket and you would also lose the parking brake.

It can be done though.
Old 02-26-2001, 12:57 PM

Default Stoptech.com has an interesting article on this. Says that if the fronts are designed correctly,

there's no need to do the rears.
Old 02-26-2001, 01:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Actually the 225TT rear brakes are nice and considering that about 75%......

of the braking on the front heavy TT is the responsibility of the front brakes...thus the focus on the fronts. The idea of switching the fronts to the rears and adding performance fronts needs A LOT MORE thought. Going with the StopTeck/Brembo/Porsche/Alcon for the fronts will do nicely for 98% of any TT drivers...even the crazies who will remain unknown.
Old 02-26-2001, 02:05 PM

Default Part of the Audi problem has been the master cylinder could only handle certain

sized pistons, front AND rear. I strongly suspect the same issue exists on the TT, if you upgrade the front there is not enough pressure to push upgraded rears. To increase pressure appropriately required a new master cylinder and pedal box.
The value/cost ratio usually doesn't warrant upgrading the rear calipers although better rotors and pads are a given.
Old 02-26-2001, 02:11 PM

Default Agree (again) completely. Hard braking transfers weight to front...

so fronts are carrying over 70% during max braking. The tire load determines how much braking force is generated at the road/tire interface, and that determines how much power the brakes are producing (and dissipating as heat).

In other words, once the rears are big enough, more size doesn't mean any better stopping. For once, larger isn't always better. Balanced front-rear is important.

Of course, it it's mainly for looks, bigger looks cooler, except maybe to those who understand how brakes work. Porsche uses big brakes all around on 911 series because the rear heavy Porsche gets close to 50-50 under hard braking. No wonder they stop so well!

My $.02
Old 02-26-2001, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ditto. I have 330mm front rotors and AP Racing 4-pot calipers....

on the front. Plus braided steel lines, Motul 600 fluid, etc.,

I was concerned initially about brake balance, but I believe there is no need to upgrade the rears (other than changing the pads, which I've done).

The braking performance is superb!
Old 02-26-2001, 03:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris...licking my chops...330mm 4 pots ohhhhh...gonna dream tonight ;-)

Quick Reply: Why only front brake kits for TT... why not rear too???