TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Why are so many cops jerks?! (long rant)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 06:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why are so many cops jerks?! (long rant)

At least in Alpharetta, GA, where up until a few months ago I lived for most of my adult life.

This is my second negative experience with them in about the same number of dealings.

Yesterday, in rush hour traffic, a very young girl in a mid-to-late 90s green Taurus Wagon runs up on me (I can go nowhere as several slow cars are blocking the left lane and I try not to pass on the right) very aggressively, slows down, whips right, nearly hits another car, slows, speeds up, whips 2 more lanes right, speed up, slows down, etc. All I can think is that she's on (or not but needs to be on) something.

I take an exit to fill up... goof around for 10 or 15 minutes there, then head back to the highway.

Two or so exits up sure enough this girl has caused an accident. She has hit a car driven by a Hispanic-looking couple. Here in Atlanta, many Hispanic people (many are my neighbors) do not speak much English. I'm somewhat concerned that they will be unable to communicate with the officer well enough to get the story into the report, so I decide to stop and offer my $0.02 about what I witnessed regarding the young girl's behavior.

As I stop and exit my car the cop screams "WHAT?!? WHAT do YOU want?!?!"

Now... is this how someone who's taken an oath to "Protect and Serve" should greet a law-abiding citizen who approaches him for assistance?

I tell him "look, you don't have to be a jerk."

You can imagine it goes downhill from there, but bottom line, he wasn't interested in anything I had to say. He closes with "yeah yeah, we know, she's a bad driver. Big deal."

WTF!?!
Old 08-26-2006, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Probably a Tech fan...

Just kidding. That does suck. One of the things I hate most in this world is RUDENESS. Someone being rude will often times very quickly bring out the ******* in me.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:45 AM

Default lol...

it took all I had in me (especially after a particularly sh!tty week at work) to smile, tell him to have a nice day, and walk back to my car.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I would have done the same thing you did. Despite the outcome, you made the right move in my book.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Look at it like this.

Maybe the girl in the Taurus was his wife. )
Old 08-26-2006, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The problem is...

he got called away from the donut shop to take care of an accident, and you didn't bring him any.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:06 PM

Default Give someone a little bit of power/authority...

And that's what happens -- they think they're better, smarter, all and all just simply "above" you. I'm suprised he didn't threaten to arrest you.

That said, I've met some cool cops too.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:26 PM

Default actually, he did threaten to arrest me. said I was "this close" ha... guess the 1st amendment

doesn't count in Alpharetta.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:29 PM

Default well...

she was actually pretty hot. maybe he was trying to get somewhere with that by cutting her a break on the reckless driving citation that she clearly deserved.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Got the same treatment a few years back, #1 daughter was involved in a fairly serious front ender

When I got there she was sitting in the troopers car, I ran up to the open door on the troopers side and started to ask her if she were alright, he slammed the door shut in my face, I knocked on the window and was told to go away or face arrest. All the jerk had to do was allow me to determine that she was ok.

Quick Reply: Why are so many cops jerks?! (long rant)