TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Why you should have adequate insurance...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 08:55 PM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Why you should have adequate insurance...

I was talking to a friend, and she told me that she was just served with a lawsuit related to an accident that she was involved in months ago.

She was driving along the freeway when a sofa (apparently) fell off of a truck and was suddenly directly in front of her. Instinctively, she swerved hard to avoid the sofa, but hit another car which was in the adjacent lane.

Both cars were badly damaged. Even worse, she had $30,000 in medical bills and the other woman had over $100,000 in hospital bills.

Even though she makes a good living, my friend chose to try and save a few bucks by going with the state minimum insurance coverages. This means that most of her bills and the other woman's bills aren't covered by insurance.

Now she's getting sued for not only the medical costs, but pain and suffering and that sort of thing. She'll get past it, but this entire situation is going to be a nightmare.

For as long as I can remember, I've had coverages at or near the highest limits offered. For example, right now I'm with Wawanesa and I have the highest coverages in virtually every category. It's a small price to pay for security, in my view.

So there's an obvious moral involved here. If you're either not insured or else carrying minimal coverages for whatever reason, do something about it on Monday.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Especially sports car owners . . .

If you drive a sports car, then obviously you are a crazy and out-of-control driver. At least that is the initial impression you have to overcome when faced with a jury (or even a judge). You need to have good insurance.

If you can't afford good insurance, <i>then you can't afford to drive a sports car!</i>
Old 02-27-2004, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

And.... if you drive a sports car most people think you have $$$.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just curious...could the person with the sofa be held responsible for any of that?
Old 02-27-2004, 09:18 PM

Default Absolutely ...

It's pretty much a given that if anything falls off of your car and causes injury and/or property damage, you can (and should) be held liable.

On top of that, you should get a good kick in the a$$.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:29 PM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think they know who dumped the sofa though.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:56 PM

Oh, ok. I thought they meant it fell off a truck right in front of them. Either way, that stinks.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default It's not that simple

The driver who was injured must sue the driver of the car that caused her injuries. Now, after the award is made the driver who avoided the sofa can sue the driver of the car with the sofa to recover that award along with her own personal damages. The driver of the vehicle with the sofa should have been given a traffic ticket for neglegence in securing the load, thereby causing a hazardous driving situation resulting in a severe accident. If this ticket was indeed issued and that driver was found guilty, it will facilitate the collection of the award from that driver, assuming of course that the driver has adequate Insurance.

Maybe it's just me, but I hate to follow ay vehicle that is carrying any extreneous load like a sofa, and if circumstances dictate that I must, you better believe that there will be a large distance between my car and that vehicle. If I have to assume anything, I'll assume that the driver doesn't know how to secure the sofa to his vehicle and that it will let go at any moment.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Brad, Thats a good lesson to be learned by all ! ( I carry Max coverage )

If you want to keep what you own you should have the max. You never know when something like this is going to happen to you. It only takes a second for someone to f**k up your life and your on your own. Just our luck were pined in and nowhere to go and you see slow motion about to happen.
Old 02-28-2004, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Who's Max, and why do you cover his insurance, too?

:-)

Quick Reply: Why you should have adequate insurance...