TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Why you should try to be nice to your dealer...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 03:06 PM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Why you should try to be nice to your dealer...

Those who have been around for awhile know that I've had more than my fair share of problems with my TTs. Yet, despite a lot of frustration over the past couple of years, I have maintained a very good relationship with my dealer.

Sure, there are plenty of times when things weren't fixed right the first time. However, I sincerely believe that they are doing their best to fix the problems, and I am always polite and cheerful.

Today, I dropped off my TT for a bit of this and that. I called ahead, and they had already set me up with a 2001 A4 that had only 5k miles on it. Most get VWs, if they're lucky. When I spoke with one person, I was told, "wow, you gave us really high customer survey ratings!"

See, your dealer sees these ratings, and when you visit, they show up right below your name. I pretty much give my dealership top marks even when they don't deserve them (but they usually do).

So now when I need something, it gets done. If I want a nicer loaner, I get it. If I need a part ordered, so long as it's reasonable, it happens fast, and I am very rarely turned down or second guessed.

If I was criticizing the dealership and/or giving them low survey marks, I doubt I would get the same treatment. It's just human nature. I appreciate my customers a lot more who give me positive feedback versus those who are always complaining and have nothing good to say.

Also, don't forget that when you need warranty service, your dealer is going to have a lot of say and influence as to what is covered and what is not. Sure, some of the decisions are ultimately Audi's, but the manner in which your case is presented is going to have a lot to do with whether or not borderline warranty requests are honored. If you are a critical jerk or jerkess, guess how flexible they are going to be with you? Answer, not very!

I guess the whole point of this is to suggest that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar (though, who wants to catch flies, anyway?). Be patient and polite with the folks at the dealership, try to never lose your temper, give them some positive feedback even when things don't always go perfectly, and very possibly some of that will eventually start coming your way!
Old 02-19-2002, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default very true.... and it is funny that the surveyors usually tell you

that your dealer has no knowledge of this survey.

Its called CSI ratings and every dealer lives and breathes on this rating.

It ups the allocations on new car releases.

Allows for funding for new facilities.

Did you know that if you give a dealer anything other than a 5 you might as well give them nothing? pretty weird
Old 02-19-2002, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who was your dealer ??????
Old 02-19-2002, 03:23 PM

yeah you got that right...and Oakville VW/Audi treats me great!
Old 02-19-2002, 03:25 PM

Brad, that sums up my philosophy exactly. Plus a box of doughnuts helps too ;-)
Old 02-19-2002, 03:25 PM

I go to Miramar Audi in San Diego.
Old 02-19-2002, 03:26 PM

Can't agree with you here.; I was nice to my dealer service until they DENTed my TT the 2nd time!
Old 02-19-2002, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That is so true. When I was with Goodyear, the people who

were using honey instead of vinegar always got the extra help. I'd go WAAAAAAAAAY out of my way to keep my cool customers happy. No matter what it took. The people who were dix, or exuded dickish qualities, were usually treated accordingly. When I spoke to my service writer last week about my guage cluster, I just very nicely eluded to the fact that I knew about it being a common problem, etc... I wasn't an ***, or demanding in any way. He never even asked to see the car first, he just scheduled to put a new cluster in. No questions asked.

The squeeky wheel doesn't always get the grease. Sometimes it just gets its a$$ kicked.
Old 02-19-2002, 03:28 PM
gtt
AudiWorld Super User

I agree...I have not paid for service in a year and get everything free...;-)
Old 02-19-2002, 03:29 PM

Default I don't think there's anything wrong with being a squeaky wheel...

So long as it's a fairly pleasant kind of squeak!

Quick Reply: Why you should try to be nice to your dealer...