TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Wierd suspension clunk solved... nothing more than a loose sway bar link

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd suspension clunk solved... nothing more than a loose sway bar link

I feel like such a dumbass for not checking it myself.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Is that easy to fix?

I have changed tires, used to adjust valves on my Karmann Ghia, I maintain my own and friends' bicycles...

Do you think my experience is a good match for the sway bar task sir?

(LOL! Sorry for the interviewee style; I am currently looking for a job )

The tire shop listened to my sway bar with a stethoscope-like device and said the noise was more on the sway bar.

Which one is the sway bar?

Thanks...
Old 03-08-2004, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default LOL... yeah.. basically if it clunks when the roads are uneven... the sway is the prime suspect

Its not a sure fire fix but clunking is usually something loose. If you are out of warranty and want to avoid the hassle of bringing your car in, you can generally look for things that are loose and snug them up a bit. If you're under warranty, let someone else get dirty.

The sway bar has all of 4 bolts on it. One on each of the mounts/clips that holds it to either side of the cars sub frame and on on each end that attaches it to a long slender linkage.

You should be able to spot it pretty easy with the wheels off. Its a bar a bit smaller than the diameter of a quarter that goes across the car just behind the front wheels. It bends forward from under the car and will be attached to a slender vertical link 8 or so inches long on each side in the wheel wells.

The hardest part of snugging up these bolts is taking the front wheels off the car. If you can change a tire, you have more than ample skill to do this.

I actually checked the mounts but not the ends which is why I feel like a dumbass.

I wouldn't go crazy tightening the mounts unless you have a proper torque wrench and know the torque specs. Snug can get you by for a little while until you can get things torqued proper. Too tight will strip them.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you! No lift or torque wrench here; I guess I will live with the noise for now...
Old 03-08-2004, 04:41 PM

So what are the proper torque specs?
Old 03-08-2004, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Its only like 25 ft/lbs or something... I guess you dont really need a torque wrench

Just don't get under there and try to tighten the hell out of them. They should be pretty snug but not super tight.

I have a tendancy to overtighten so sometimes I get a little over cautious.