TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Will Audi TT spank the Type R in G Stock this year?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2000, 07:07 AM
JohnTT

Default Will Audi TT spank the Type R in G Stock this year?

Just wondering if we will see the Type R dominate again this year. I think its glory is about to end. Thoughts?
Old 01-27-2000, 07:54 AM
Klimt

I'm afraid the TT has nothing to really threaten the Type R
Old 01-27-2000, 08:03 AM
John TT

That wasn't me - whose stealing my handle?
Old 01-27-2000, 08:06 AM
JohnD_TT

Default Ooops, sorry -->

nm
Old 01-27-2000, 08:21 AM
John TT

no problemo
Old 01-27-2000, 04:04 PM
Arthur Emerson

Default Re: Will Audi TT spank the Type R in G Stock this year?

It will if I have anything to say about it!!! Only 21 more days until the Fort Meyers ProSolo opener and my TT-Q is still in Boston port. :-(

Horsepower-to-weight, the FWD TT and Type-R[ice] are fairly matched. Of couse, we all know that Honda's torqueless wonder only has 38 foot/pounds peak torque, :-) and the TT has an impressive 173 practically across the board. ASSuming that the TT can handle, I would expect it to at least run close to the Type-R after some initial autocross setup development.

My biggest concern is the AWD Eclipse/Talon, herein after referred to as the DSM cars. One of the downfalls of the FWD TT might be in getting the power to the pavement better than the Type-R. I know that my old GTI VR6 was unable to plant it's full power to the ground powering out of corners. The DSM car has less horsepower for it's weight, but can put every ounce of that power to the ground. Their turbos have a lag problem, so they basically have to stand on the throttle all the time. At launch, the AWD DSM car drivers floor the accelerator, let the
engine bounce off the rev limiter, and side-step the clutch pedal. The car pounces off the line like a cat, and all that the Type-R sees is taillights. The DSM cars don't seem to be able to hold that lead in the corners, though. Still, they're leaving the line with around 3/4 second
of a head start, and the FWD cars will be playing catch-up.

I'm making a $35,000 gamble this year that the TT-Q will be able to stay close enough with the DSM cars at launch, and will be able to at least equal the Type-R in the corners. If that happens, it WILL be the car for G-Stock this year, at least in ProSolo. The FWD TT
might be an equally good bet, but I've had enough of feathering the throttle when the AWD cars are at full power.

I'm sure that the entire autocross world will be watching Fort Meyers to see what happens, not like I need any more pressure. :-( There's only about 18 prep days left, I still don't have a car, 225/45/17 race rubber is on national backorder from all manufacturers, I don't have spare wheels to put those tires on, and I need to have a trailer hitch custom-fabricated to tow a trailer with all the tires and other gear on it. To top it off, I'll be running an un-tweaked car without even a clue where to set the initial tire pressures at. Cross your fingers.....