TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Will Upgrading w/ Neuspeed Front AND Rear Sway Bars Maintain Factory Balance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will Upgrading w/ Neuspeed Front AND Rear Sway Bars Maintain Factory Balance?

I searched previous threads on this one, but I couldn't really find a definitive answer. I have an '02 TTQC, and I want to maintain the factory sway bar balance, due to the snap-oversteer condition some people have warned about regarding upgrading the rear sway bar; however, I was wondering if I upgraded BOTH the front AND the rear sway bars to the Neuspeed 25mm front and the Neuspeed 19mm rear would the factory balance be preserved and would I avoid the snap oversteer condition?

It seems to me that since Neuspeed offers a 22mm front and a 25mm front that the 25mm upgrade would increase the front by so much that any increase in the back wouldn't come close to creating that problem condition (and might actually reduce it by creating more understeer), but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, what are the stock sway bar diameters? I'm sure that would help to figure out the balance change. Thanks in advance, as any help is appreciated!
Old 04-15-2003, 08:46 AM

Default I understand your concern, however...there is NO "snap-oversteer". Some info >>>>

The car is not balanced from the factory. Understeer is prominent. I have the 19mm Neuspeed rear upgrade. Very nice and stable. It is a little different, but very controlable and comfortable. It completely gives the car better body roll control.

Now...I am not sure who the guy is who wrecked his car and said the bar was the problem. You have to be drunk, way out of control, or just plain stupid to really get the car into trouble.

Speaking from experience. Take your time when doing any kind of suspension work. ANYTHING you do can change the dynamics of the handling. Ease yourself into it and LEARN the car. I think you will do fine. Good luck. And, if you have any questions, feel free to send me an email. I would be glad to help...

cheers,
Chad A.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well written, same thoughts here...
Old 04-15-2003, 10:57 AM
gtt
AudiWorld Super User

Default agree w/ the advice...go slow...one change at a time and learn what each mod is doing.....

if you make dramatic changes just for the sake of change you can get into trouble fast. Do not make any suspension changes just to mod. Make them to meet certain performance goals knowing what the possible negative aspects can be.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hmmm - I've got Neuspeed Rear and PSS9's - Tough day at the AutoX.......

I had alot of problem with oversteer. I would go hot into a corner, hit the brakes and then nail it. Rear was swinging out, or whole car would drift. I don't know if it was PSS9's, rear sway, tires, or driver.

I am suspecting driver and PSS9's. I should have been alot smoother and a little slower. I just can't imagine a little stiffer sway bar would cause the rear to slide out on me.

There was a figure 8 on the track and when I would go around the figure 8 I could nail the gas and make the rear come on out some more.

I think I was wiping out cones with the rear of the car.

I saw the S4's flying like a bat out of hell and thought the TT with the mods I had made over the winter would do just as well. Not so.

I would recommend 1 mod at a time, then serious track time to feel the car out, then make the next change. I am pretty confused as to the problem and need to spend more time on the track.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:52 PM

Default Re: I think you answered your own questions but basically

It sounds like your braking too late in the turn shifting more weight on the front tires and lightening the rears. I recommend getting your braking done just before the turn then get get the back in balance just before the apex. If your getting oversteer in the "sweepers" then you've got some tunning to do. I'd try lowering front tire pressure and softening the rear shocks first. Also if your running on racing compounds from last year they've probably hardened. It's more common than people think. All the heat/cool cycles of previous events setup a hardening process that continues while the tires are setting in the garage. This happened to mine after a year layoff. They're so hard now they're useless. Not an expert just my opinion.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:44 PM

Your spring rates on the PSS9's (especially the front) make all the difference...
Old 04-15-2003, 01:50 PM

Re: Interesting Are you saying the front spring rate is too low?
Old 04-15-2003, 01:51 PM

May very well be. However, I believe the settings on the coilovers can be changed.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:56 PM

Re: OK then firming the front and softening the rear should help.

Quick Reply: Will Upgrading w/ Neuspeed Front AND Rear Sway Bars Maintain Factory Balance?