TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Windshield Chip Repair / Insurance Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2001, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Chip Repair / Insurance Question

Two questions, one post.. deal with it =)

1. I got a nice chip in my windshield at TTWest. It doesn't go all the way though and it isn't a crack or a star, just a chip. It is about 1/4 long and 1/16 inch wide. It is annoying and I want to get it fixed. The insurance agent said that they probably can't fill it since it didn't go all the way through. Any previous expereience with this?

2. While talking with the insurance agent they told me I have $1000 deductable on this type of claim. Is that too high? She said she had $250. Any reccomendations on what limits and what deducatables I should carry? Any other items I should get on my insurance?

<start rant>
Also, I must say that I hate insurance. It's just like a bet against yourself and you only win if you fu$k up really bad. I told them about the rock chips on the paint and the one in the windshield and they said they basically couldn't do anything about either. What good are they for? If I saved the money that I was paying them, damn.
<end of rant>
Old 10-18-2001, 10:07 AM

Default Answers

Yes, Insurance is a scam, but we can't live w/o it.

A lot of policys have a separate section for taking care of this repair. Insurance regulations differ from state to state and even more from company to company. So look at the small print in your policy.

In Maryland w/ Allstate
Windshield replacement is covered under the Comprehensive part of the coverage, and also carrys a $0 deductable for this specific repair. My regular deductable for comprehensive is $250. Lucky for me...I had my TT windshield replaced after 5 months of ownership at a cost of $550. I too got hit by a rock/pebble.

The funny thing is that I got hit by another rock on my passenger side door, and I had to pay for that out of pocket. The cost of repair was lower than my deductable.
Old 10-18-2001, 10:25 AM

Default Thanks...

I hate it. It seems like it is another one of those "the good people paying for the few who screw up" with the mandatory insurance deal.

I have a $1k deducatable, it sounds like. So, maybe I should see about lowering that..
Old 10-18-2001, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Rant.... Sigh, you're so young Scott.... I remember I was in my early 20's too when I first felt

screwed by an insurance company. I sure have learned a lot since then. My current insurance has a zero deductable for windshield repair/replacement. Of course I have a lot more choices on insurance then a sub-25 year old. One of the perks of being "old".
-Kevin
Old 10-18-2001, 11:34 AM
dr

Default Yeah ... Ins. Cos. s$#K but focus on solutions not problems........

If the star isn't in your line of sight and your not a fanatic you have two viable options:

The dealer or an auto glasscan can fix it so its' pretty invisible

You can get a fix-it-u- self kit for $10 at an auto parts store
Old 10-18-2001, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't lower it.

Lowering your deductible will raise your rates... sometimes drastically. If you plan on having your insurance fix every little thing with your car, you're going to pay for it in the end. The more claims you have, the higher your insurance will be.

For me, a $1k deductible cost me $100 less every 6 months than a $0 deductible. So if you don't make a claim in 5 years you break even and after that you are ahead.

Windshields are a different matter. Most insurance companies will replace chips and cracks and waive your deductible because if it impairs your vision you could have an accident and end up costing the insurance company more money.

Remember that insurance companies are out to make money. The more claims you make, the higher your rates.
Old 10-18-2001, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I had a chip repaired & I'm happy with the results...

mine was in the left hand corner & I moved the registration sticker over it. It was like a little imperfection in the glass. You'll probably pay between $40 & $70 to fix it with no guarantee.He had to drill a hole through the windshield. So be prepared for that.
Seemed like the best option to me. Insurance companies definitly suck.I have a high deductable also. They're betting nothing's gonna happen & thats why they stay in business.
Old 10-18-2001, 01:12 PM

Default They said

That they would normall waive the deducatable but that since mines is so high the probably wouldn't (and she thought it couldn't be repaired anyhow). I thank you for the info though, makes sense.
Old 10-18-2001, 01:13 PM

Default HEheh..

I have state farm, and they seem to be pretty good and I have a good rate. I think I'll just pay to get it repaired. I am a careful driver and (knock on wood) am doing my best to stay away from talking to them about anything more than this.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Windshield Chip Repair

You may also look into getting this fixed yourself. Even if the coverage is available, your deductible will probably still require you to pay for it out of pocket. Safelite glass is a reputable company like( arizona auto glass ) that can fix minor chips in windshields. I also believe they will even do it while you are at work as they come to you.

Quick Reply: Windshield Chip Repair / Insurance Question