TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

X-Racer loves the handling but hates the brake dust

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-1999, 08:39 PM
John Ireland

Default Re: Sounds like a good question for Lou or John Ireland...

Actually a FWD front engine car has a hot in common (handling wise) with the rear engine rear drive Porsche...the polar moment is almost the same (between the front wheels, though the weight mass is at opposite ends. There is an excellent book called "The Front Wheel Drive Advantage" (I think I got the title right)...it is all about racing FWD cars. It does involve difference in style to get the most out of a turn...and many rear wheel drive racers I know were converted to FWD lovers in the VW Rabbit/Golf spec racing series. For those of you who want to take a step up in your driving skills and fun, without trashing your cars or modifying them, check out the SCCA Slalom program in your area...it is very competitive...and I think the TT in dead stock form would be a lot of fun there...and about all you'll do is use up your tires faster...but you will have more fun than you can imagine. And again, it really won't hurt your car, or put you at risk for injury...and don't worry about winning or losing...just enjoy the process of driving very fast in a safe environment. <br>John