TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Xenon bulb replacements...questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Xenon bulb replacements...questions

i asked this a few months back, and msauve recommended Philips bulbs off ebay. But I want XENON bulbs...not xenon-like bulbs.

How much are OEM TRUE Xenon replacement bulbs? who is the manufacturer and what's the best place to buy them?

the PIAA replacements on TTstuff.com are $320+ dollars or so.....how much are OEM Xenon bulbs? i can't even figure out what the OEMs are!

thanks for the help.
-E.So
Old 08-19-2007, 04:09 PM

Default If the PN# is D2S or DS2 they are true xenon/HID bulbs

from there its just a question of what color you want em to burn @

Marcus
Old 08-19-2007, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

where do i find the PN#?
Old 08-19-2007, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Be careful what you ask for...

"Xenon" means very little.

I think you want HID (High Intensity Discharge) bulbs.

Xenon is a gas. It is used in HID bulbs, but is ALSO used in quartz halogen bulbs. So you'll find "xenon bulbs" of both types. Getting xenon halogen bulbs doesn't do much.

The Philips bulbs I pointed you toward are HID bulbs. I'm assuming your car has HIDs (did any US TTs not have them??). If you don't already have HIDs, you can't just replace the bulbs, HIDs have complex electrical requirements and need special electronics to work.

The OEM HID bulbs are type D2S, Philips 85122 (they might also use Osram 66040).
Old 08-19-2007, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default aaaalright. well that clears it up a bit..

i was SUPPOSED to do this several months ago, but put it off over and over again.

from what i read, the 4300k HiD bulb is less blue, but more light....right?

is the installation of this tough? i just looked at Jeff Bipes' page about it...and although it looks mildly tricky due to space.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You are correct about space, mildly tricky

I am running 6000K, originally my car came with 6,000K and then I had one go out, dealer installed 1 new bulb and it was 4300K, it was more yellowish. I could not stand it. They eventually put in a 2nd since it was very noticable. I went with a company called HIDS4LESS (not out of business due to the fact that retrofitting HID kits in cars that did not come with them from the factory is illegal). I bought a set of 6,000K "Stage II" bulbs from them, I am VERY happy with them, very bright, etc. Plan to go again with a Phillips 6,000K bulb... but the correct answer is yes, 4,300K is supposed to put out more light... but fogs are also supposed to be yellow to be effective... and I don't do that either
Old 08-19-2007, 11:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Do you have factory HID's.....i think some us cars did not come with it
Old 08-20-2007, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Gas Discharge bulb is what ETKA calls them

Impex has two both same part #s and DS2 is correct.

N 104 457 01

12v/35w DS2

Why one is twice the other is anyones guess!
Maybe one SKU # is a pair???<ul><li><a href="http://www.worldimpex.com/search_by_partno.html?searchmode=partno&amp;partno =N+104+457+01&amp;x=14&amp;y=1">Impex</a></li></ul>
Old 08-20-2007, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: aaaalright. well that clears it up a bit..

The 4300K bulbs are the "natural" color for HIDs. They're bluer than halogens, but not as blue as the 6000K (or higher temperature) bulbs. Higher color temperatures are obtained by adding various salts and/or gasses into the bulb, or by using a filter (paint the bulb blue!).

BTW, the "K" stands for Kelvin, a measure of absolute temperature. In this use, it is describing the color of light put out by a black body heated to that temperature. Lower numbers are toward the red end of the spectrum, higher numbers toward the violet.

The color temperature rating does NOT indicate how bright the light is, only the color. Another part of the marketing for those "super blue ultra HIDs" is appealing to the oft found "mo betta" mentality ("You see, most blokes will be playing at 10. You're on 10, all the way up, all the way up...Where can you go from there? Nowhere. What we do, is if we need that extra push over the cliff...Eleven. One louder." " - Nigel Tufnel).

Yes, the 4300K are as bright as they get. The ones with the higher color temperatures are for poseurs - they offer NO advantage, produce less light, but do make your car more obviously different than those with halogen bulbs.

The Philips 4300K has a luminous flux of 3400 lumens. A Philips 6000K (actually 5800K - it's marketing) "Ultinon" bulb has an output of 2400 lm. A GE 10000K bulb has an output of 1850 lm. There's a pattern. 'nuff said.

Philips does make a "color match" bulb. HIDs tend to get bluer (and dimmer) as they age, and this bulb is intended to allow replacing a failed one, yet still match the other aged bulb. 4800K/3100 lm.

I haven't had to change mine, so can't comment about how hard it is. Looks like a tight squeeze, though.<ul><li><a href="http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hl-hid-bulbs.htm">HID FAQ</a></li></ul>
Old 08-20-2007, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default great information...thanks!

i can't stand the "ultra blue" lights....the OEM white-blue looks so much classier than the really blue bulbs...

that link you gave is solid. makes alot of sense. I'll stick with the 4300 bulbs i think. Still dunno about the installation, but if i can't sort it out...i'll just pop it to the dealer or summat.

thanks sir! hope you're well.

Quick Reply: Xenon bulb replacements...questions