TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

2010 TTS vs 2012 TT

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 TTS vs 2012 TT

Hi everyone ,

i'm looking for my next car and need to choose between 2.

They are around the same price (+-1K), both white with navigation and 7,000mi.

So it's between a 2010 TTS or a 2012 TT.

I really like the exterior look of the TTS but is it really worth having a car 2 years older ?
I'll probably only keep it for a summer or two so I need to think about reselling it.

Which one would be the best in your opinion ?

Thanks
Old 05-19-2012, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I vote 2010 TTS.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i agree 2010 tt-s i my self bought a tt and regret it now because i love the look of the tts and its more powerful engine wise
Old 05-20-2012, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

asp2303, how do you like to drive?

Is this car mostly just a pretty thing to you, or do you like to put your boot in it sometimes? Do you drive curvy backroads on purpose?

This is where the difference lies. On the commute to work, the TT will be absolutely wonderful, it just won't quite put the same boot in your back when you stomp on the throttle merging onto the freeway or passing, so the question is how much that matters to you. And it won't be quite as buttoned down when driving briskly over a curvy, hilly back road that requires all the grip and control you can possibly get. But 99% of drivers don't DO that, so the question you have to ask yourself is, does how the car performs at or near the limit really matter to you? If so, go TTS, it's no comparison, the changes in the suspension, engine, and everything else are all directed at enhanced performance at the top of the spectrum, but if not (and again, for 99% of drivers, the answer is really no), the TT is a beautiful, excellent handling, torquey, exciting car too.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

TT is a great car but if you want larger brakes, more power, and the extra's....body cladding, etc....get the TTS....I made the right decision getting the S. It's just a TT with a little bit more!
Old 06-20-2012, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

the new valve lift tech on the 2011+ TT give you the same amount of torque ( that kick in the pants you feel, unlike horsepower, which is the surge at higher RPM's) and it will give you that torque at a much lower engine speed as well...

Color me biased, but I found the TTS to have a noticeable amount of turbo lag which manifest's in a torque peak at 2500 rpm instead of lower down (1650 rpm for the Valve Lift TT)

Everyone has different priorities when it comes to sports cars... I place a premium on lots of torque available as early as possible.

This was why I had an issue with the TTS; the larger turbo gave it more power, but it also required more time to spool up... hence more gradual surge rather than a pin-you-in-the-seat lunge.... It was fast, but it just didnt feel as fast as it was...

I test drove both vehicle as was torn between the need for more power (TTS) yet lots of down low torque(TT).

In the end I choose neither by adding a 5th cylinder to the equation.... perhaps not the cost effective way, but you only live once....

Here is a new TT S-Line Competition Package which neutralizes the TTS' advatange in the looks department:

http://fourtitude.com/news/Audi_News...e-competition/

Old 07-08-2012, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This seems like a good next car for me too. Since I mostly drive in cities I don't need a high-rpm screamer engine. Of course, if only a regular TT with Competition package is significantly cheaper than a TTS, then it would make sense.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

What about the brakes? They are smaller too no?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GaBoYnFla
What about the brakes? They are smaller too no?
Yes, bigger brakes with different pad compound, and there are suspension differences too, etc. It's not like you need to scream the TTS engine - just not *BOG* it, it's making peak torque at 2800 RPM, and will kick you in the back getting on the freeway. Even better, drive it in S mode after a couple minutes of warmup in D and it will bring a smile to your face every time. APR dynoed the stock TTS at 279 ft-lbs of torque (20 ft-lbs higher than advertised), so Audi has rated the TTS conservatively here. Of course, if you can have a TT-RS, then you get your cake and to eat it too.

Last edited by JimInSF; 07-10-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JimInSF
Yes, bigger brakes with different pad compound, and there are suspension differences too, etc. It's not like you need to scream the TTS engine - just not *BOG* it, it's making peak torque at 2800 RPM, and will kick you in the back getting on the freeway. Even better, drive it in S mode after a couple minutes of warmup in D and it will bring a smile to your face every time. APR dynoed the stock TTS at 279 ft-lbs of torque (20 ft-lbs higher than advertised), so Audi has rated the TTS conservatively here. Of course, if you can have a TT-RS, then you get your cake and to eat it too.
I drive mine in MANUAL Mode via the paddles 100% of the time after it's warmed up....and yes, it's a screamer for a stock car....4.8-4.9 sec 0-60 is fast esp when you consider that it is has only 265 hp......aluminum use in the body helps that a lot too and the chassis is very stiff....I love my car.....2011 TTS.

Quick Reply: 2010 TTS vs 2012 TT