TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

2011 TT vs 2011 TTS

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude don't buy the TTS. It shouldn't even be called a TTS, it should be called the TT 2.0T sport of something. It has 15 more HP then a 3.2 V6 TT. Audi is abusing the S badge with this one. Wait for the TTRS. Its coming soon and it is going to be awesome. 2.5 inline 5 turbo 340 HP. And its going to come with a proper 6 speed. Do yourself a favor and keep saving your money until the TTRS arrives. You will not be dissappointed. This inline 5 is bringing Audi back to its roots something I have been waiting for since the RS4 we never got in 2001.

Last edited by Tillse7en; 11-15-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Tillse7en
Dude don't buy the TTS. It shouldn't even be called a TTS, it should be called the TT 2.0T sport of something. It has 15 more HP then a 3.2 V6 TT. Audi is abusing the S badge with this one. Wait for the TTRS. Its coming soon and it is going to be awesome. 2.5 inline 5 turbo 340 HP. And its going to come with a proper 6 speed. Do yourself a favor and keep saving your money until the TTRS arrives. You will not be dissappointed. This inline 5 is bringing Audi back to its roots something I have been waiting for since the RS4 we never got in 2001.

Ha,ha...some help you are: now it's TT ($39k) vs TTS ($48k) vs TTRS ($6xk)!
I raced the R8 in Sonoma's Audi Experience,fantastic. But,for everyday, I am lazy and prefer the paddled sequential shifter.
Seriously, thks!
Old 11-16-2010, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Viejobuho: lots of info, - and some truth. I have a late 09 TTS - love it. Had the APR chip upgrade at 1500 miles. This solved all the " tubro lag " and increased low end torqe. The other item was the breaks - the dust was terrable, so I installed the Hawk ceramic pads. As to the 3.2 V6 - I also owned for 5 yrs a 04 3.2 - loved the engine and car - but once chipped, this engine does not even come close. I drive in San Francisco almost every day and with the hills/parking etc. I would never go back to a stick shift. Lastly as to the looks - yes!! Should you upgrade to the TTRS? - well maybe if you have the cash, but for the price I feed Audi did a great job with the TTS(chipped).
Hope this helps.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've got a verbal order in for an oolong gray TTS. I've never seen oolong in person but I'm sure it'll be fine. My guess is a late January arrival. Might also go the reflash route too.

Took a few measurements to see if the TTS would make a stable platform for hauling a kayak. Looks like it should be fine. The cross bars are a minimal contact design but will probably still have to clear bra a small section of the roof to protect the clear coat.

For what it's worth, here are some 0/60 times for various Audi models (including TT's):

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Audi-0-60-mph-Times.html
Old 11-16-2010, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Viejobuho
Ha,ha...some help you are: now it's TT ($39k) vs TTS ($48k) vs TTRS ($6xk)!
I raced the R8 in Sonoma's Audi Experience,fantastic. But,for everyday, I am lazy and prefer the paddled sequential shifter.
Seriously, thks!
Sorry to waste your time. I was just throwing in my .02 cents. I figured you were a true enthusiast and would enjoy the TTRS. Have a blast with the boring flappy t paddles. One more thing, if you need to chip a TTS to make it feel like a true S vehicle, you wasted your money.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

One more thing, if you need to chip a TTS to make it feel like a true S vehicle, you wasted your money.
This sentence makes it seem like I'm coming off as a real doushe bag. Sorry that's not my intention. Audi just makes me mad sometimes that you (the buyer) has to spend more money on a chip to get the(already expensive)car to perform like it should have right out of the box. In my opinion, which really doesn't even mean anything, the TTS doesn't seem like a proper S car. Its seems to me Audi decided the V6 was not fuel efficient enough so they dropped it and replaced it with the TTS. Just another marketing ploy for us to fall into. Great car, but not up to the standards of the S badge. This is all based on my opinion, which is worth nothing.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Tillse7en,

Have you driven the TTS? I've driven the TTS, S4's, various Evo's and STi's (and a bunch of other fun toys). The TTS is very close to the current S4 in acceleration but is a step ahead WRT handling. For what (little) it's worth, the TTS was quicker than the S4 in this year's Car and Driver's Lightening Lap.

The 3.2 engine is matched in performance by the base EA888 and that pretty much made it redundant. And I bet the 2.0 liter engine is cheaper to make.

As for the S Tronic/DSG tranny, a couple of years ago I would have never considered one. However I now prefer shifting from the steering wheel flippers vs the traditional stick position. OTOH, one does have to use a different strategy to track what gear the car is in which usually involves taking one's eyes off the road to glance at the tach. Prior to that my right hand told me all I needed to know.

And yeah, you are correct about the marketing aspect but such is life. And if a manual was offered, that would be my pick...
Old 11-16-2010, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SoSuMi
Tillse7en,

Have you driven the TTS? I've driven the TTS, S4's, various Evo's and STi's (and a bunch of other fun toys). The TTS is very close to the current S4 in acceleration but is a step ahead WRT handling. For what (little) it's worth, the TTS was quicker than the S4 in this year's Car and Driver's Lightening Lap.

The 3.2 engine is matched in performance by the base EA888 and that pretty much made it redundant. And I bet the 2.0 liter engine is cheaper to make.

As for the S Tronic/DSG tranny, a couple of years ago I would have never considered one. However I now prefer shifting from the steering wheel flippers vs the traditional stick position. OTOH, one does have to use a different strategy to track what gear the car is in which usually involves taking one's eyes off the road to glance at the tach. Prior to that my right hand told me all I needed to know.

And yeah, you are correct about the marketing aspect but such is life. And if a manual was offered, that would be my pick...
No I haven't driven a TTS, but I have driven 2009 WRX which has very similar performance numbers as the TTS. I just figured if a car such as the TTS is going to be badged a S then theres no way a 26k dollars WRX would come close to its performance. Its just my logic, if I pay 48k dollars on a sports car I should be able to kick a WRXs butt... right? I mean the TTS wins, but not but much. If its a S it should crush the compatition in my book especially if the other car isn't even close to the same class as the TTS. The TTRS should have been the S model. The S badge used to really mean something, now its just a marketing tool. It makes the little enthusiast inside me sad.

Last edited by Tillse7en; 11-16-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No I haven't driven a TTS, but I have driven 2009 WRX which has very similar performance numbers as the TTS. I just figured if a car such as the TTS is going to be badged a S then theres no way a 26k dollars WRX would come close to its performance. Its just my logic, if I pay 48k dollars on a sports car I should be able to kick a WRXs butt... right? I mean the TTS wins, but not but much. If its a S it should crush the compatition in my book especially if the other car isn't even close to the same class as the TTS. The TTRS should have been the S model. The S badge used to really mean something, now its just a marketing tool. It makes the little enthusiast inside me sad.
I don't think that the WRX compares very well to the TTS with respect to the total driving experience. They are aimed at different market segments and have wildly different aesthetics. And I really hate the five speed stick in the WRX... feels like it belongs in a yard tractor.

Anyhow I just don't think you/we should get too hung up on the numbers. If we went strictly by numbers, we'd probably all be driving Chevy Cobalt SS's. The last gen Cobalt was a great performance deal and was arguably a better track car than the WRX.

BTW, check out the recent Edmunds review of the 2011 STI. The WRX tested quicker than the STI.

As for me, I'll probably end up in the TTS as it is within my means. And I define that as any car I could afford to shove off a cliff and replace with a duplicate. The TT RS exceeds that limit
Old 11-16-2010, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Tillse7en - as a buyer of many different cars through the years, I have come to realize each model has an issue. I considered the 3.2 engine at the time since I like it so much before ( great exhaust rumbel). And yes - the TTS out of the box, had only 15 HP more - which is really nothing. But I now have 315 HP which is a noticable difference. I also did notice the difference in handeling as to the 3.2 seemed to be front heavy and not as nimble. I can be in traffic with everyone going 70 or so - and with just a peddle push, the car will just scoot - a real hoot to drive. Now also, Audi had to meet certain EPA/ fuel efficiency requirements, so I think, on purpose they detuned the motor. Before, around town driving I was getting 21-22mpg. Now I get just under 20mpg - and less if I really getit on. I also heard rumours as to a factory approved chip. So all in all - for an extra $ 700 or so, my HP is just under the TTRS for a lot less money. Would I purchase the TTRS since it now here - I really do not know know as 1st I have not driven it and 2nd - I am very happy with what I have now and to plunk down an extra 15grand or so may not be worth it - I can only go so fast and tickets cost to much.

Quick Reply: 2011 TT vs 2011 TTS