TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

2011 TT vs 2011 TTS

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=SoSuMi;
Anyhow I just don't think you/we should get too hung up on the numbers. If we went strictly by numbers, we'd probably all be driving Chevy Cobalt SS's. The last gen Cobalt was a great performance deal and was arguably a better track car than the WRX.

BTW, check out the recent Edmunds review of the 2011 STI. The WRX tested quicker than the STI.
[/QUOTE]

Both highly awesome points taken! Who wants to drive a Colbalt SS? LOL. And yes I do get hung up on numbers, And I blame that on car and driver my bathroom has C&D mags piled up. I just had these conversations with the B8 A4 owners as well. I wanted to see the TTS engine as an option in the B8 A4s because they dropped the 3.2 V6. And now Hyundia has a 274 HP 2.0t engine in their new Sonata. Numbers ,numbers, numbers.... This all started when I wanted to look for another car to replace my B6 S4. I was looking at a new S4 but its kind of pricy and the guys on the forums have been having alot of issues with them already so it scaried me away. I looked at the A4 but for a decently loaded one it could run close to $40K and only 211 Hp. I'd happily pay $40k for an A4 with the 265HP engine from the TTS but not 211HP. I went way off topic.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SoSuMi
I don't think that the WRX compares very well to the TTS with respect to the total driving experience. They are aimed at different market segments and have wildly different aesthetics. And I really hate the five speed stick in the WRX... feels like it belongs in a yard tractor.

Would it have helped if I compaired it with the 370Z?
Old 11-16-2010, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Get the TT!

The 2011 TT is a fantastic deal, and a better car than the TTS for the money.

2011 TT pros over the TTS:
- Less turbo lag. Probably the biggest reason to go with the TT. The TTS has been widely criticized for having unbearable lag. And the updated TT spools up even faster than the previous year.
- The same maximum torque as the TTS, and again, it comes in at much lower rpm's.
- Lighter, with all the weight saving shaved off the front end.
- Similar acceleration (5.3 vs 4.9).
- Default 2011 TT body kit is last year's S-Line kit. Don't bother with the new S-Line. It's a waste of money since it adds nothing to performance or the suspension. It's purely cosmetic.
- If you skip S line the TT is much cheeper than a similarly equipped TTS.
- The TT engine is more modern by two generations. Beyond being chain driven it also has Audi Valve Lift for quicker response, more power and fuel efficiency.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tillse7en
Would it have helped if I compaired it with the 370Z?
Yeah, that's probably a better comparo. Just above this post you mentioned your disappointment with the 211 hp in the A4. It is a pretty modest power plant. That's why I went with the ECU reflash. Really helps the car but still a big step between it and the B8 S4. As for troubles with the new S4, at least it seems to be doing better than all those BMWs equipped with the N54 twin turbo nightmare engine from hell.

Wouldn't it be nice if both BMW and Audi could manage to hit Hyundai reliability?

BTW, a friend who goes through cars fast had a Cobalt SS for a second car. He picked it up with less than 5k miles on it for around $14 - 15 k. It was a hell of car for the price. GM did a nice job in providing a whole lot of performance for very few bucks.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AnimaTTor
The 2011 TT is a fantastic deal, and a better car than the TTS for the money.

2011 TT pros over the TTS:
- Less turbo lag. Probably the biggest reason to go with the TT. The TTS has been widely criticized for having unbearable lag. And the updated TT spools up even faster than the previous year.
- The same maximum torque as the TTS, and again, it comes in at much lower rpm's.
- Lighter, with all the weight saving shaved off the front end.
- Similar acceleration (5.3 vs 4.9).
- Default 2011 TT body kit is last year's S-Line kit. Don't bother with the new S-Line. It's a waste of money since it adds nothing to performance or the suspension. It's purely cosmetic.
- The TT engine is more modern by two generations. Beyond being chain driven it also has Audi Valve Lift for quicker response, more power and fuel efficiency.
And your car is juiced!
Old 11-17-2010, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SoSuMi
And your car is juiced!
this was another point I tried to make in my earlier post. You shouldn't have to juice your car if you paid that kind of money for it to get the performance you expected to begin with. I said it before and I'll say it again Audi kills me with this stuff, they're advertise the A4 as the fastest sport sedan in its class, I thought the 328 was the A4s main competitor? What car class could they possible be putting this car in? We all know the B8 A4 isn't faster then the 328. If you don't chip the A4 you will be having V6 Accords rubbing dirt in your LED eyeliner.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AnimaTTor

I guess that you mean "similarly equipped" in terms of the engines which result in somewhat similar performance. But otherwise, the TTS has some performance enhacements that you do not get in the base TT:
1. Magnetic Ride
2. Bigger breaks
3. More aluminum suspension pieces
4. Bigger wheels

Cosmetically:
1. LED front strip lights-- perhaps Audi's present must-have look ( I admit it-- I am shallow---I need to have them!!!)
2. Aluminum rear exterior mirrors
3. Quad exhausts

The 2011 TT is a much improved over the 2010 TT and as such much better relative deal vs the hardly unchanged 2011 TTS. But still there are significant differences between the two cars, which is the question raised in my first post.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Viejobuho
I guess that you mean "similarly equipped" in terms of the engines which result in somewhat similar performance. But otherwise, the TTS has some performance enhacements that you do not get in the base TT:
1. Magnetic Ride
2. Bigger breaks
3. More aluminum suspension pieces
4. Bigger wheels

Cosmetically:
1. LED front strip lights-- perhaps Audi's present must-have look ( I admit it-- I am shallow---I need to have them!!!)
2. Aluminum rear exterior mirrors
3. Quad exhausts

The 2011 TT is a much improved over the 2010 TT and as such much better relative deal vs the hardly unchanged 2011 TTS. But still there are significant differences between the two cars, which is the question raised in my first post.
Actually a similarly equipped TT does have:

- Mag Ride
- LED headlights
- 19" wheels (with S Line)

Also note that the 2010 TT does gets the larger exhausts on either side like the 3.2 use to.

My point is you can get a very similarly equipped TT for $3600 less than a TTS. That TT will have mag ride, the same torque, weigh less, and have less turbo lag.

However it appears that looks are important to you, so that would mean opting for the more expensive S Line (larger wheels, TTS bumpers etc). I suppose in that case the $2800 price difference would make the TTS a more logical choice.

For me I'd skip the S-Line, pocket the $3600, and drive the almost identically powered, lighter, and less laggy TT.

Also I wouldn't bother chipping it since it's already plenty fast at 5.3 seconds to 60.

Last edited by AnimaTTor; 11-18-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Go with the TT instead of the TTS for reasons already stated here. In addition, IMHO the magnetic ride is a waste of money..

BosTTon
Old 12-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Viejobuho

Please explain how the 2011 TT is much improved over the 2010 base model.

Quick Reply: 2011 TT vs 2011 TTS