TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

2011 TT vs 2011 TTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YoungTurk
Please explain how the 2011 TT is much improved over the 2010 base model.
Follow this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...petrol_engines

The newer EA888 replaces the EA113 in the base TT... timing chain vs belt... slight hp increase but torque now matches the TT-S which means the base TT is now much closer to the TT-S.

However I'm still going for the S model.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

[QUOTE=YoungTurk;24074018]Please explain how the 2011 TT is much improved over the 2010 base model.

From AudiUSA website:

"The 2011 Audi TT quattro Coupe and Audi TT quattro Roadster arrive early next year in the U.S. market with a range of mid-cycle product improvements. Among the enhancements are higher engine output to 211 horsepower (+11hp) and 258 lb-ft torque (+51 lb-ft), plus Audi Valvelift System (AVS) engine technology.

Design highlights:
- Standard S lineŽ bumpers, new radiator and fog lamp grille design, xenon plus headlights with LED daytime running lights, new 18-inch wheels and dual exhaust pipe configuration."

The improved 2011 engine results in 5.3 secs 0-60mph vs approximately 5.9 secs for 2010, a significant improvement in my opinion.
Also, I consider the above new design highlights as very desirable.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone know when the 2011 TT will be in showrooms?
Old 12-19-2010, 06:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

did they fix the oil consumption problem in that new engine?
Old 12-19-2010, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by a3atx
did they fix the oil consumption problem in that new engine?
The oil issue seems limited to a minority of EA888 owners. My Avant has that engine and doesn't have an issue with oil consumption. For the first 5 k miles I was adding maybe two-thirds of a quart. Presently the engine is doing better than that (about 3 k since the last change and no oil added). I have no idea as to why some are having an issue with oil consumption and (most) others aren't. Nurture vs nature?... break in technique or factory variance?

However when my TTS shows up, I'll be back with the EA113 engine. I've had two of those engines before and neither used oil between changes.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AnimaTTor
The 2011 TT is a fantastic deal, and a better car than the TTS for the money.

2011 TT pros over the TTS:
- Less turbo lag. Probably the biggest reason to go with the TT. The TTS has been widely criticized for having unbearable lag. And the updated TT spools up even faster than the previous year.
- The same maximum torque as the TTS, and again, it comes in at much lower rpm's.
- Lighter, with all the weight saving shaved off the front end.
- Similar acceleration (5.3 vs 4.9).
- Default 2011 TT body kit is last year's S-Line kit. Don't bother with the new S-Line. It's a waste of money since it adds nothing to performance or the suspension. It's purely cosmetic.
- If you skip S line the TT is much cheeper than a similarly equipped TTS.
- The TT engine is more modern by two generations. Beyond being chain driven it also has Audi Valve Lift for quicker response, more power and fuel efficiency.
This is exactly why I am looking at the TT over the TT-S, I had originally only wanted the S model, but now I think the TT is a much better value for my needs.

Also I think I am going to skip the Navigation, I am tired of paying $2000 for a navigation (Have done so 3 cars in a row now) that is not as good as my $300 Garmin. I can use my smart phone as well.

Looking at a Premium Plus with just Heated Seats, will use the Base wheels for winter and add the wheels of my choice down the road for Summer.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I recently purchased an '11 TT S-Line. For comparison, I also test drove a TTS Roadster that the dealer had in stock.

The TTS feels a bit quicker, most noticeably in the lower gears. The S also sounds more aggressive, both exhaust and intake - I could easily hear its turbo spool up. I can hear my TT's turbo spool up, too, but only with the windows down.

My car does not have Mag-Ride, so it does not ride as well as the TTS when set to comfort mode. The steering systems felt similar, though the S may have a bit more heft under way. The shift speed/quality felt similar, as well. I can't remember if the S shifted a bit quicker or not. If it did, it wasn't a night-and-day difference.

Appearance wise, I feel the S-Line and the S are close. The S's Silver mirrors look good on certain colors (especially the blue), but on my Dakota Grey I don't think they'd work quite as well. Both wheel designs are nice, but I prefer the twin multi-spoke S-Line wheels to the triple five-spoke S wheels. The rear valance/exhaust-tips set-up is kind of a wash, both designs look nice. In the right color, I think the S can look a bit more aggressive than the S-Line.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

And if you decide that the TT could use a little more grunt, a reflash will take care of that. Your engine with a reflash is transformed into a torque monster and will dramatically change your driving experience.

...not that I mean to tempt you...

Have fun with your ride!
Old 01-15-2012, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry for bringing an old thread back to life but I'm in the market for a used Audi TT and just wanted to understand the differences in all the 2008+ Audi TT models. I have a set budget of under $30K and am definitely shooting for a TT with Quattro. Did Audi drop the FWD Audi TT starting 2010?

It seems these three models are fairly similar to each other and are the most well rounded:

-2011 Audi TT
-2008 to 2010 Audi TT S
-2008 to 2009 Audi TT 3.2

I'm going to test drive a 2009 Audi TT 3.2 this Friday to get a feel for it, but what do you recommend? Are there any other major differences? I tried to Google a Audi TT MK2 buyers guide but can't seem to find one that explains all the differences in the models.