TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Any one else here having the TT RS Squeaky Brake Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any one else here having the TT RS Squeaky Brake Issue?

I've searched this forum and many others and it seems like quite a few people have had issues with the brakes on the TT RS squeaking badly when coming to a slow stop?

It's almost embarrassing driving around in a 65k car with brakes constantly squeaking.

It seems as if right after washing the car / wheels it doesn't squeak for a little bit and then it comes back pretty quickly I guess as brake dust starts to build back up. Also, if you brake hard, it doesn't squeak at all. It's just those slow stops at a red light / pulling into a parking spot or the garage that they squeal like a stuck pig.

I've read everything from they need be bedded, to Audi has a solution, to it will simply go away as the car breaks in, but no definitive cause/solution to the problem.

As always, the Dealership has never heard of the issue and have no apparent solution. If I drive all the way over to the Dealership, I'm sure they brakes won't be squeaking anymore and they'll say they weren't able to recreate the problem. Very typical of them.

Anyone else had this problem and gotten it resolved or should I expect this will go away in time?

Thanks,
r
Old 01-04-2012, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

HL:

1. Annoying beyond belief.
2. It won't go away on its own.
3. Bedding works and works very well.

After a few thousand miles, my brakes started sounding like an old Volvo everytime I rolled up to a stop. Twice to the shop, where the techs did some hard stops and gave it back to me. Good for about 40 miles each time.

I read the article on bedding, took her out on a back road near the house, followed the instructions to the letter and have been squeak and squeal free ever since.

A. Drive normally to let the car and brakes warm up a little first.
B. On a straight, take the car to 60mph or above, then clamp the brakes down hard WITHOUT engaging the ABS. Release the brakes at or about 10mph; do NOT stop.
C. Repeat this procedure as many times as it takes to get the clear odor of hot brakes. For me, that was five or six repititions (YMMV). Do not come to a complete stop in this process - plan your route and time of day.
D. Cool the brakes by continuing to drive without applying them for at least a few miles.

There are a number of bedding posts around the web, but the above is the method I tried. I did it just once. Car is now at 35K with zero issues. I do get a tiny morning squeak about two minutes in to stop and go, but that's gone in one stop after it appears - normal.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My brakes have just started to squeak on occasion. Not really annoying yet, but if it continues to get worse I will be unhappy. I guess I will try the bedding procedure.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm definitely trying this tonight. The squeal is driving me NUTS!

Thanks,
r
Old 01-04-2012, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very common. You can go through a bedding process that helps for a while. Here is the TSB...
http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Brakes/Br...02017130-8.pdf
Old 01-04-2012, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

BBTT:

That TSB was applied to my car twice. No help. The single bedding procedure has been effective now for more than 25K miles...
Old 01-05-2012, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Excellent. Good to hear. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

There's always a tradeoff between braking "bite" (with accompanying squeaking; typical for OEM pads) and less noise/dust/bite with say aftermarket ceramic-based pads. Bedding helps for awhile, but ultimately you have to make the pad composition choice. "All design is compromise."
Old 03-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Squealing brakes

Just ran across this on another TT forum - TT Owner rec'd call from AOA rep and posted today "She said that they were responding to the information about the brakes and that there would be an announcement by the end of the month that will completly address the problem. No real information about what it would be but she acted like it would be a big deal announcement. We will see. Anyone else who wrote AOA hear anything? Stay tuned

I tried the Bedding process but without success
Old 03-02-2012, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

That's good news. I've tried everything and still have squeaking brakes on occasion. Drives me crazy!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed that we hear something soon or at least before I take her in for my first service.

Thanks for the info!

r

Quick Reply: Any one else here having the TT RS Squeaky Brake Issue?