TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Any one else here having the TT RS Squeaky Brake Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had it for a while and had the TSB done with no help. I had tried the bedding process described below on 3 occasions with it only helping for a few days each time. I read about a different process and it worked for me.
Took car to 100 MPH and braked heavily but no ABS to 20 MPH 4 times then did 2 stops from around 25-30 MPH in reverse. I have no idea why that was included but my brakes have been quiet now for 2000 miles.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Can't say I've tried that one yet, but it's worth a shot

r
Old 03-08-2012, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's basically bedding with a reverse thrown in.

Key: You have to get the rotors hot. You have to be able to smell them. It needs to be a scary smell, not quite like you're at the track and you don't think you'll make turn three, but close. If you want to take it to 100 and 20 instead of 60+ and 10, go ahead, but the whole idea is too heat 'em up real good, apply a lot of pressure and then let them cool before using them again.

35K on the clock and not a squeak since I bedded them at somewhere around 1,400 miles. BTW, at 35K and my service inspection, I've still got one hell of a lot of pad left, so kudos to Audi, even if they are the dirtiest pads on the planet.

Reverse hard stops might break off cake on the leading edge of the pad, but there really shouldn't be any. Don't reverse hard-stop or come to a stop of any kind until they've cooled.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have the same problem, car has 200 miles on it, my previous 2010 S4 had the same problem and bedding fixed it. Will have to do the same on the RS
Old 12-04-2012, 08:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HarnessedLunacy
I've searched this forum and many others and it seems like quite a few people have had issues with the brakes on the TT RS squeaking badly when coming to a slow stop?

It's almost embarrassing driving around in a 65k car with brakes constantly squeaking.

It seems as if right after washing the car / wheels it doesn't squeak for a little bit and then it comes back pretty quickly I guess as brake dust starts to build back up. Also, if you brake hard, it doesn't squeak at all. It's just those slow stops at a red light / pulling into a parking spot or the garage that they squeal like a stuck pig.

I've read everything from they need be bedded, to Audi has a solution, to it will simply go away as the car breaks in, but no definitive cause/solution to the problem.

As always, the Dealership has never heard of the issue and have no apparent solution. If I drive all the way over to the Dealership, I'm sure they brakes won't be squeaking anymore and they'll say they weren't able to recreate the problem. Very typical of them.

Anyone else had this problem and gotten it resolved or should I expect this will go away in time?

Thanks,
r
FINALLY got a response from Audi of America, who acknowledged the issue and set up service for this morning with dealer in RI. The "temporary" fix that they went with was a set of shims for the brake pads. The dealer installed these this morning and after about 100 miles of driving, so far, the noise has been eliminated. Will keep you posted. Audi also said they would advise when they have an alternative fix as well.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

About 0ne month ago I took delivery of a 2013 TT RS. The brake squeal on slow stops is driving me crazy. There's nothing like pulling up to a red lite and getting a loud squeal in the last 30 feet, especially when the guy in the Corolla next to you looks over with a smile that says "where did you get that $65,000 squealing POS?" It's humilitating. I don't have much faith in Audi's promises to fix the problem since they gave me two TSB's that each promise a fix is on the way. Trouble is, one TSB is dated 2010 and the other is dated 2012. So, apparently they haven't been able to come up with a fix in nearly three years. Think about trying to sell the car when the time comes. That squeal is gonna be worth several thousand dollars to a buyer.
Here's my question: Has anyone considered making a claim under the Lemon Law? It seems that there have been claims like for other makes that were successful. Or maybe a class action?
Any thoughts?
Old 01-02-2013, 03:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default UPDATE

Put car away fort winter after about 700 additional miles of driving with the shims ionstalled. So far, minor brake squeaks but nothing like the ear-piercing squeal that I had previously. I'll fire her up again in March/April and see if this fix holds... Don't hold your breath for a fix from Audi.

Originally Posted by Tony B
FINALLY got a response from Audi of America, who acknowledged the issue and set up service for this morning with dealer in RI. The "temporary" fix that they went with was a set of shims for the brake pads. The dealer installed these this morning and after about 100 miles of driving, so far, the noise has been eliminated. Will keep you posted. Audi also said they would advise when they have an alternative fix as well.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Mine is at the dealer now and the brakes are on of the issues. 12000 miles and getting louder. When i dropped it off the advisor gave me a pamphlet from audi about brakes and the noises they make. Does anyone remember them handing you that pamphlete when you were thinking about buying the car?
Getting frustrated with Audi and unsolved issues. Timing chain noise or whatever it is, now brakes
Old 01-10-2013, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well in Europe Audi announced a recall for TT RS brakes. Here is the story(in german)
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/n...h-6392557.html

translation:

brake replacement

Audi responded to technical problems with the brakes on the top models Audi RS3 and Audi TT RS and offers a free brake replacement on a modified brake system.

After customers complain loud squeaking and heavy wear about delayed braking in the wet, jerks, for one and a half years, has redesigned the brake system of both models to the manufacturer. Stephan Reil, head of development of Quattro GmbH in Neckarsulm, where RS3 and TT RS, and Florian Heuberger, Manager service technology at Audi, announced in auto motor und sport to the holder of the affected vehicles free of charge replace the brakes can. Up to 5,700 models of the RS3 from model year 2011 are affected and 6,100 TT RS model year 2010.

Replacement part availability from March
"All customers will be helped - free", assured Quattro Manager Radu to auto motor und sport. Modified Audi has the brake caliper and the pads, to eliminate the occurring most frequently and mainly at low speeds squeaking noises when decelerating. Delayed braking in the wet, Audi wants to get through a software update in the handle. "An employed since June and aufspielbares in the service ESP update increases the frequency of turn the wiper brake pads always slightly lays on the discs, to displace water spray", Quattro-development chef Reil said. Is to reduce the thermal load of the RS3 brake saves since June 2012 right installed a permeable pinhole in the front apron, which is also can be retrofitted.

In the series, the changes are applied also in the coming weeks. However, the Exchange in the workshops could "depending on the availability of parts, at least until the end of March or even longer range", Hammond estimates. Audi, however, sees no need for action in the wear. "According to our specifications, the brake pads keep well 30,000 kilometers, the disks reach the double mileage - appropriate treatment provided."

For individual questions on the conversion (workshops, appointments) Audi has switched a service hotline number 0800 / 02834664
Old 01-16-2013, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 257 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by BarryG
Think about trying to sell the car when the time comes. That squeal is gonna be worth several thousand dollars to a buyer.
If you DO sell it because the brakes squeal let me know. I'd love to pick up a TTRS at a bargain. I'm used to brakes that squeal. High performance pads usually do that.

On the other hand. If you simply want it to stop squealing and are willing to give up some heat tolerance in the pads, Put ceramic pads on it. Just don't take it to the track .

If it's Sepang I'm serious :-)

Quick Reply: Any one else here having the TT RS Squeaky Brake Issue?