TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Audi TT 3.2 vs. BMW Z4...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi TT 3.2 vs. BMW Z4...

I really don't care if it's a repost.

This is SMOKIN'! Watch the TT go sideways... and on... around?(!)<ul><li><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8ab8hTv-ZU">TT means business</a></li></ul>
Old 12-12-2006, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They should have the STIG drive the TT... the Z4 is one ugly car...
Old 12-12-2006, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Great vid, thanks
Old 12-13-2006, 05:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My guess is that Tiff is as good if not better than the Stig. Tiff is an AMAZING driver!
Old 12-14-2006, 11:32 AM

Default That's from the TV programme 5th Gear

Saw the programme last week on TV, it's normally crap but that one was better than most. Pity the Beemer came out favourite!

Cheers, Mackem
Old 12-15-2006, 01:03 PM

Default Skid??

What the heck was that slide test all about? Were they trying to negotiate that curve at a pre-established speed? i.e. did they enter the curve with both cars at the exact same speed and see which could handle it better?

If not that, I really hope they weren't just trying to hold the cars at the limit (it kind of sounded like that's what they said.) Literally any car should be able to be taken through that curve at its particular limiting speed in a controlled manner. Granted the limit would vary greatly among cars, but, they should all be able to do it without losing control (with stability control switched off).

The only way to get the butt of the TT to come around like that would be for the driver to be on the brakes really hard and entering the corner way too fast (for that car). Otherwise, the car would just understeer to the outside of the curve. The way it oversteered every time leads me to believe that they just had a predetermined speed and tried to negotiate the turn with each car. Still, I'm really surprised that the TT oversteered so badly in all attempts. There was a lot more road to the outside of the curve, why didn't the driver just allow the car to drift wider? If he did, he should have been able to make the turn (or not break loose so suddenly.). In all cases, the spin started way before the apex.

There was no explanation, but it looked really pathetic and makes me really wonder about the overall balance of the TT. I'm really shocked. If I saw a Honda Civic do that at the hands of a professional driver, I'd be shocked. I wouldn't even expect a mid-engined car to do that unless it was really flung with abandon. Now I'm really second guessing my idea to get a TT this spring. I've been following the rumors and early reports of this car for about two years and have been really anticipating its arrival. But, no car should require stability control to that degree. (I'm no professional or racer, but I've spent 32 full hours at Skip Barber Driving School and have had many cars at the limits including the three I currently own.) I haven't read anything about the TT's propensity to spin in any magazines. Am I missing something?
Old 12-15-2006, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Stig is on Top Gear, not Fifth Gear.

Tiff Needell is well known to be an Audi Quattro fan. I believe that he owns one of the later production (original) quattros.