TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Carbon install questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carbon install questions

My S Line carbon pieces just arrived, and I trying to figure out how to remove the stock pieces without damaging anything. I looked at projekt354's photos linked below, but I don't quite understand how the pieces are attached. The rear seems to be just clipped in, but what about the front?<ul><li><a href="http://au-297.fotki.com/donavans-stuff/auto-related-items/previous_cars/au-354/cabon-fiber-install/">http://au-297.fotki.com/donavans-stuff/auto-related-items/previous_cars/au-354/cabon-fiber-install/</a</li></ul>
Old 01-03-2008, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I feel your pain.

Basically you really have to work the tabs on the stock rear valence until one starts to come loose. Start working from the corners...and work your way around. Once you get a few loose, the rest are easy.

The front...grab some pliars and squeeze the clips until you pull the two black clips out...pull out splitter and put CF piece in. Reinsert clips.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Do the two black clips look like the head of a screw?

Those are the only black things I can see to grab a hold of, but it feels like the flanges are going to just rip instead of pulling the clip out. I'm assuming they have to come out somehow, since they fit through the slots in the front splitter.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yep, thats them. They are actually single use clips so might be worth picking

a couple up at your dealer. I reused mine but they were fairly mangled.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Ok, those are out and I still can't get it to budge

from looking at the carbon piece, the only thing left holding it in are the two vertical pillars which somehow clip into the bumper assembly. I guess with how hard it was to get those clips out, I was expecting it to just pop right off off. They seem kind of pointless now.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default The vertical pillars clip around the bumper. Reach in and spread them a little from behind...

You should see the same setup on the CF replacement.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default For rear removal...

I started at the corner, got the first tab unsnapped using a plastic wedge, then the others just pop out as you pull gently on the bottom of the valence. That rotates the tabs and reduces the amount of grip they have on the panel.

The only tricky part is around the fog-lamp. Make sure to remove the fog-lamp filler first, then unsnap the tabs. The body panel is pretty weak there so too much force will damage it.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks for the help, the front is now on!

I ended up fashioning a couple of metal hooks to reach into the gap and pull outwards and fowards on the sides of each pillar. It finally popped off and the carbon went right on in its place. It's getting dark, so I think I'll wait to try the rear over the weekend.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks, I'm sure I'll have more questions this weekend

when I try to swap out the rear.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Did you get the rear fog too? I'll save you some time. There is no wiring harness in the US/NA TT...

So the fog is purely for show.

Quick Reply: Carbon install questions