TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Ceramic Brake Pads for 2010 Audi TTS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread, thank you for sharing your experience and photos!
Old 08-04-2010, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 TTS Size of Pads

Thanks so much for the analysis and photos. I know that took a lot of time. It looks like the Hawk HB625.760 pads are a perfect fit.

I checked with EBC and while they have a pad (DP31946C) of the same dimensions, they state that it will not fit the 2010 TTS but they would have pads for the 2010 TTS by early 2011 (maybe).

So, I will be making the Hawk purchase soon. It is a shame that the sensor connector is not a direct fit with the OEM.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

ditto on the great post. have an 09 tt and am contemplating switching my brake pads as well.

did you end up changing all 4 brake pads?
Old 08-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just did the fronts. For whatever reason, the fronts had exponentially more dust than the rears from the OEM composite pads. The rear rims do get dirty but it takes way more drive time. I estimate that the dust that developed in a few days of driving on the front rims takes several weeks on the rear rims.

I would really like to know the difference in 60 to 0 braking distance with the ceramics. I would guess it is probably a little worse compared to the composite pads. This is probably why (I think) I'm hitting the pedal a little harder with the ceramics.

All in all, I think that replacing the fronts only with the Hawk ceramics is a good compromise between asthetics and function.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TTS - AR
I would really like to know the difference in 60 to 0 braking distance with the ceramics. I would guess it is probably a little worse compared to the composite pads. This is probably why (I think) I'm hitting the pedal a little harder with the ceramics.
I believe the ceramics and the composite has different range of working temperature? The ceramics should be better at higher temperature than the composite. It should definitely be worst than composite when you step on the brake first thing in the morning. However, it should be better then composite when you do more aggressive driving..
Old 08-23-2010, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TTS - AR
I just did the fronts. For whatever reason, the fronts had exponentially more dust than the rears from the OEM composite pads. The rear rims do get dirty but it takes way more drive time. I estimate that the dust that developed in a few days of driving on the front rims takes several weeks on the rear rims.

All in all, I think that replacing the fronts only with the Hawk ceramics is a good compromise between asthetics and function.
Yup, the fronts are doing the bulk of the work in the equation, therefore the dust. I still suffer the dust accumulation, but thankfully after fully applying the bedding technique I have never again heard a peep from the brakes at any speed. No squeal means I'm OK with the maintenance, even though the rapid build up can be a pain. Waxing the rims with Meguiar's liquid cleaner/wax makes a huge difference. I can actually just hose off most all of the residue between washings. Unfortunately, if I take the car to a carwash instead of doing it myself, the detergent with which they pre-soak the wheels takes off the wax!

Congrats on the upgrade. I'd venture a wager that the normal fade after a number of high-speed pedal-stomps is probably non-existent for you!
Old 08-28-2010, 07:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do you know if the brakes are the same on the TT and the TTS? I have a TT 3.2 with 18" rims; trying to figure out which ceramic pad would be right for me.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

TTS & TT3.2 have the same brakes (front and rear).
Old 09-04-2010, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

First I would like to thank TTS-AR for starting this. I have followed this from the begining and two months ago, I ordered both the front and rears for my late 09TTS from the Tirerack. I had 7500 miles at the time. Had my shop install with out any resurface to the disks. So: after 1000 miles I can say this is the 2nd best thing I have done ( the 1st was the chip ). Dust is 75% less, plus its is a dry dust and easy to clean. The old composit pad produced the oil/dust mixture and was a pain to clean ( even every two weeks ). No noise!!, braking pressure is about the same - and the car actually brakes better under hard conditions. Very pleased, so thanks again to all.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Glad it worked out for you. BTW, which chip did you go with? I was thinking about APR since there are some dealers about 75 miles away.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Brake Pads for 2010 Audi TTS?