TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Changed rear lights to LED now warning light on??

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed rear lights to LED now warning light on??

Any of u guys know what went wrong, I switched out the normal incandescent brake and reverse lights to LED, now my computer is showing a warning yet they all work??
any thoughts
Old 02-20-2018, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Interesting, I used deAUTOLED lights for everything in the rear. No code and everything works perfect.

LEDs take so little energy that the computer must not sense the lights are there. Possible a cheap brand from Amazon doesn't account for this?
Old 02-21-2018, 01:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DissenTTS
Interesting, I used deAUTOLED lights for everything in the rear. No code and everything works perfect.

LEDs take so little energy that the computer must not sense the lights are there. Possible a cheap brand from Amazon doesn't account for this?
I bought these from AutoZone, phillips, a direct replacement with same part number. Wondering if I need to solder in some resistor?
Old 02-21-2018, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As of 2 weeks ago DeAutoLED told me no one had tried any brake lights in the MK2 TTS. Which part # did you use? I just had them ship to me all but brake lights.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by phanttom_edm
As of 2 weeks ago DeAutoLED told me no one had tried any brake lights in the MK2 TTS. Which part # did you use? I just had them ship to me all but brake lights.
I communicated with "support@deautoled.com" and they put together packages for me. I believe this is the part that was used:

194/921 Error Free Bright Reverse LED Fits:Audi A3/S3/RS3/SQ5/Q5 + Many More deAutoKey

The reverse bulb is on the top left in this pic, and is a 194 wedge type bulb. I have found some differences in my TTS from other TT's, so I would verify your bulb type.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The 3 small bulbs on the top, yes are 194. the one to the left is reverse, the other 2 are signal red. I have had all those replaced with DeAutoLED. The one's I'm referring to are the bottom 2 which are the 7506. It is the 7506 (brake & stop light) that DeAutoKey says they have not tested. I just sent back today LED's from SuperBrightLEDs. They said their 7506 red LED had Can-BUS and error free; however, not error free in the MK2 TTS. So because my car gets only about 5-6000 miles year, I bought Sylvania Silverstar bright white regular 7506 bulbs to replace the factory ones. LED for the rest of the rear.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

I know those bulbs as 1156. But we're talking about the same bulbs. I don't have deAutoLED's exact link or part #, but they described them as "1156 brake leds" on their invoice to me. They work perfectly.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DissenTTS
I know those bulbs as 1156. But we're talking about the same bulbs. I don't have deAutoLED's exact link or part #, but they described them as "1156 brake leds" on their invoice to me. They work perfectly.

Interesting, think you could find the part #? They keep telling me they are not sure if they will work in my car. They thought their 1156 for the A3 would work but no guarantees. More money to ship back & forth to Canada. I have tried 2 other brands and for the time being, just put in Sylvania Silverstar. This is the A3 bulb, is this the one you got? http://deautokey.com/product/1156-os...audi-a3-models

Last edited by phanttom_edm; 02-23-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

They seem to work off of descriptors instead of part numbers. I emailed them my bulb requirements with the picture of the rear assembly, and they put together a package of bulbs and emailed me the invoice. I'll PM you my full name and email address. Maybe you can tell them to send you what they sent me. The fog lights, reverse, brake, turn, door puddles, glove box, and trunk lights all worked for me. But the dome lights did not. Just so you know what you can refer to if needed.

They have packages for many Audis and BMWs. They just haven't figured out the TTs yet. So as far as I can tell, they sent me these "universal" bulbs. (Drop down to choose your bulb type.) I think these are only called universal so you can buy them outside of the car packages they put together. But I believe they're the same bulbs as in the packages.
Turn
Universal Rear Turn Signal LEDs Fits: All Car Models | deAutoKey
Brake
Universal Brake/Tail LEDs Fits: All Car Models | deAutoKey

Last edited by DissenTTS; 02-24-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by papaojam
Any of u guys know what went wrong, I switched out the normal incandescent brake and reverse lights to LED, now my computer is showing a warning yet they all work??
any thoughts
When you replace the OEM bulb with an LED ones they draw less current (amperage), the vehicle monitors the amperage draw of the rear lights and will indicate an error if one of the bulbs burns out (less amperage draw). Since LED draw less current it thinks that you have a burnt bulb. In order to eliminate the error a load resistor needs to be installed in parallel to the LED bulbs, which mean cutting into you wire harness to install the resistor. Companies like deAutoLEd have the manufacture of the LED bulb install a resistor internally into the bulb which make them "error free". As mentioned previously the 1156 bulbs from deAutoLED would be a direct replacement for the OEM 1156 http://deautokey.com/product/1156-os...audi-a3-models

Last edited by northendriod; 02-25-2018 at 03:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Changed rear lights to LED now warning light on??