TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Doing an APR/GIAC chip on a lease

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing an APR/GIAC chip on a lease

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum and just picked up a red 2010 tts from my dealership and I am slightly a speed junkie and really want to do the ecu reflash. Does anyone have experience with chipping a leased car? If I bring it into service will they know that it is chipped? Would I ever be able to flash it back stock or would I even need to flash it back to stock. And of course how will it effect my warranty if lets say my engine acts up? Any answers will be greatly appreciated. thanks guys!
Old 06-29-2010, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firstly congrats on the new whip ! Secondly, I've had miine less than a week and am starting to ponder which chip manufacturer also. That said, I've done leased car mod thing (chip and suspension on a B5 A4 and BT with all the supporting mods on a B6 A4). I had no issues with warranty (anything that went wrond was either not related to the mods and covered under warranty or was not covered due to the problem being the modified part). At lease end, I went back to stock (except chip) and sold off the hardware to recoup approx 50% of the expenses ...

Happy modding and please provide feedback on what you end up with.

Cheers !
Old 06-29-2010, 06:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Stevelev
Firstly congrats on the new whip ! Secondly, I've had miine less than a week and am starting to ponder which chip manufacturer also. That said, I've done leased car mod thing (chip and suspension on a B5 A4 and BT with all the supporting mods on a B6 A4). I had no issues with warranty (anything that went wrond was either not related to the mods and covered under warranty or was not covered due to the problem being the modified part). At lease end, I went back to stock (except chip) and sold off the hardware to recoup approx 50% of the expenses ...

Happy modding and please provide feedback on what you end up with.

Cheers !
Thanks man, so your saying its totally fine to not change the chip back to stock once you return your lease?
Old 06-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm leasing and the first chance I got (i.e. sale!) I chipped mine.
I don't know about GIAC etc., but the APR system allows you to revert back to the stock mode when you take it in for servicing. I just had my 5k servicing done was where it should be when it came back. Switched it back to 93 and threw some napalm in the tank. zoom zoom
If you give up the car at the end of the lease,(um, why?) I wouldn't waste money on "unflashing" it IMO.
Hope this helps and Welcome!
Old 06-30-2010, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kendoist4162
I don't know about GIAC etc., but the APR system allows you to revert back to the stock mode when you take it in for servicing. I just had my 5k servicing done was where it should be when it came back. Switched it back to 93 and threw some napalm in the tank. zoom zoom
If you give up the car at the end of the lease,(um, why?) I wouldn't waste money on "unflashing" it IMO.
Ah, but unfortunately until they fix the TTS one-program problem, this doesn't work for the TTS I think...
Old 06-30-2010, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JimInSF
Ah, but unfortunately until they fix the TTS one-program problem, this doesn't work for the TTS I think...
Not sure its "fixable" ...

Anyway, at lease end, they wont notice the add'l power of a chip (if driven at all, its around the lot) so returning it chipped is not a problem.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wait Jim your saying that APR doesn't make a chip that can be switched to stock when I bring it to get serviced?
Old 06-30-2010, 07:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kendoist4162
If you don't mind me asking where did you get it done? What area?
Old 06-30-2010, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mrfunnymike
Wait Jim your saying that APR doesn't make a chip that can be switched to stock when I bring it to get serviced?
For the TTS, that is correct. They don't actually make chips, just flash the existing program memory, and the TTS does not have sufficient memory for multiple programs (and APR has not figured out how to get more in with compression - they say they're working on it but won't solve it in the foreseeable future if ever). So the APR flash will have to stay in when you take it to the dealer unless you take it to an APR dealer than can reflash it before you go to Audi service.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

For the TTS, that is correct. They don't actually make chips, just flash the existing program memory, and the TTS does not have sufficient memory for multiple programs (and APR has not figured out how to get more in with compression - they say they're working on it but won't solve it in the foreseeable future if ever). So the APR flash will have to stay in when you take it to the dealer unless you take it to an APR dealer than can reflash it before you go to Audi service.
What Jim said. Missed that the topic was a TTS....

Quick Reply: Doing an APR/GIAC chip on a lease