TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Donut Spare won't fit the trunk

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Donut Spare won't fit the trunk

There were questions before as to whether or not a donut spare would fit in the trunk of the MKII TT since it looks like there is a space for it there.

I bought a 5 x 122 donut spare from Ebay (apparently off of an A3). I removed all of the foam blocks from the trunk (I have the roadster if it makes any difference). The spare clears OK on the left, right and top but the bottom (closest to the rear) is about 2 inches shy of clearing and allowing the spare to drop down into the cradle. Even if you removed the interior plastic trim, etc it wouldn't quite clear.

Does anyone know if there is a 5 x 112 donut spare off of another model that is slightly smaller in diameter? If so, it may fit.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why do you need a spare? Roadside assistance no workie??

I couldn't change a tire if I wanted to.

Oh yea, you'll need a jack too.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'm gonna guess you've never tried using roadside assistance . . .

They "say" they'll get there in an hour although in my experience that's the earliest they get there. I can change a tire in just a few minutes.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You could let the air out of the spare and use the compressor that came with the car to reinflate.

Not ideal but I hear the compressor works splendidly!

I'd be interested to see some pics. Might consider doing this myself if you perfect it.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:20 PM

Haven't needed it. Are they slower than anyone else? How many times have you called?
Old 04-10-2008, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've had the same question - it sure would beat using roadside assist!

Anyone know of a donut that the roadster will accomodate? If not, why the hell would they put the donut platform there in the first place??
Old 04-10-2008, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I use my car for a lot of long distance cross country trips. I've found that

roadside assistance is fine if you're somewhere where they can respond. The only times I have trouble is when I'm on some lonely 2 lane road in rural Kansas with no cellphone coverage at 2 AM.

I tried deflating the spare and that actually worked. I got it down in there and the hole lined up with the tie down perfectly. Once I got it to that point I could see that if you cut off the lip of the rear plastic trim panel, the inflated tire would fit down there too. I found you could even leave the right side piece of foam in place and it still fit. You would need to cut the bottom of the right side foam out if you didn't want the spare to raise up the floor cover (about 3/4") and pretty heavily modify the left side foam block, but it would all fit in there.

I decided I didn't want to chop my foam blocks all up so I just slid the spare into the trunk up forward/under as far as it would go. It actually takes up so little of the useable trunk space I'm going to rig a tie down there for it and leave it alone.

I did find a stock Audi jack on Ebay for $30 and it fits into the cutout in the foam blocks perfectly.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I tried deflating the spare and that actually worked.

I got it down in there and the hole lined up with the tie down perfectly. Once I got it to that point I could see that if you cut off the lip of the rear plastic trim panel, the inflated tire would fit down there too. I found you could even leave the right side piece of foam in place and it still fit. You would need to cut the bottom of the right side foam out if you didn't want the spare to raise up the floor cover (about 3/4") and pretty heavily modify the left side foam block, but it would all fit in there.

I decided I didn't want to chop my foam blocks all up so I just slid the spare into the trunk up forward/under as far as it would go. It actually takes up so little of the useable trunk space I'm going to rig a tie down there for it and leave it alone.

I did find a stock Audi jack on Ebay for $30 and it fits into the cutout in the foam blocks perfectly. And, keep in mind that not all TT's come with the air compressor kit. If you got runflats, like I did, you don't get a compressor. I actually found a very nice, compact 12v compressor at an online store called Harbor Freight if anyones interested. It was $29 or you can buy the same basic thing from Audi for $80.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:16 PM

Default Ok, I'd do it too if I were in your position. Most don't need it...

I live in the desert sw and there is a lot of empty, hot space out here.

I take a chance, but the cost of all those things is surpassing free roadside assistance.

I figure if I break down, someone with a cell phone will stop for me..

I may be lulled into a false sense of security but I put 55k miles on my ALMS in four years, mostly all highway, and never had a problem. My spare would dry-rot in that amount of time.

Cheers
Old 04-10-2008, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Haven't needed it. Are they slower than anyone else? How many times have you called?

Ive used them a few times. They have been pretty good. Probably response time about 45 minutes all 3 times I have used them. But, they have always been in the day, from 8 to 5pm.

Quick Reply: Donut Spare won't fit the trunk