TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Finally....2013 TTS

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally....2013 TTS

Finally picked up my 13 TTS.....love it but with winter fast approaching I have to decide whether to purchase winter tires or a spare cheap vehicle. Since I purchased the vehicle, I'm looking more to drive it than have it sit garaged for 6 months. 255/35/19.....Looking for input on quality winter tires...prices....anyone!?!?!?! Thanks in advance, Jeff
Old 09-09-2012, 11:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

different place has different winter condition
maybe you want to tell people where you are
so that ppl can give better suggestions~
Old 09-10-2012, 08:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hsuhaochang
different place has different winter condition
maybe you want to tell people where you are
so that ppl can give better suggestions~
Saginaw Michigan...usually average between 60 - 85 inches of snow during the winter...I'm just a little concerned based on how low the TTS is...
Old 09-10-2012, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

I drive my TT year round up here in the Northeast (MA, NH, VT and ME). My preference is for Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires (non-studded). I have been using those since my '91 Miata (also a good winter car, but that is a whole other thread). You want to turn a head or two, show up at Mad River Glen, VT, in a snowstorm in a Miata!

I have had no problems in the winter with ground clearance, although 6" of fresh snow out in Western MA was the deepest I have tried, and that was not by choice. Another trip through CT into MA on I84 in a January snowstorm was also exciting (for the minivan that spun out beside me)but I was fine. Normal winter driving with a good set of snows and a little common sense will see you through.

Tire Rack used to carry the Hakkas but don't anymore. You can find them on line or at some of the chains like Sullivan Tire. They aren't cheap, but I get a good solid 2-3 seasons out of them and I put on a LOT of miles.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

I drive my TTS on all my ski trips. I use 17 inch Audi wheels that are original to the S4 B6 with Continental DWS tires 225/50 x 17. This setup works great. Leave them on Dec thru Mar
Old 09-11-2012, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is also my 4 season Canadian DD. I've got 17" Sport Edition wheels wrapped with 215/50's and have no issue turning circles around most other cars on the road ... Also have taken the car on weekend ski trips many times and rarely bothered to use my roof rack.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You can not buy an Audi and not drive it in the Winter, at least I would not. To me that is the point of having an Audi. I love my Audi in the Winter!!!!!!!!!! I bought Wheels with Tires mounted from Tire Rack so I change them every winter.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a gen 1 TT roadster- with the right tires it was the best winter car I've ever had, except for clearance. Small and nimble.

My wife got a TTS roadster this last spring- I recently got a new Golf R which came with 18" all season "performance" tires. She won't be driving a lot in the winter but I think I'll put the wheels and tires from the Golf R on her car (as the wheels look similiar to her 19's) as the cars are VERY similiar underneath. Then I'll get a set of wheels and winter tires for the R from Tire Rack. Have used them for years- a no brainer.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah I'm thinking of just buying a wheel/winter tire combo...18 in and just swap em out every winter. Seems easier and less chance of screwing up my 19 in rims twice a year swapping tires...thanks all!!!!!
Old 11-25-2012, 09:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

18 in Moda rims with Pirelli SottoZero Series II winter tires....I can only assume when they are mounted since there is no TPMS in them it will activate the sensor. How do I turn off the light on the dash if possible...??
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Finally....2013 TTS