TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Gas pump removal on 2008 Audi TT 3.2 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas pump removal on 2008 Audi TT 3.2 convertible

Hello

New to this forum…

The gas gauge reading on my 2008 Audi TT convertivble quattro 3.2l on my dashboard is inconsistent. Good reading alternating with empty reservoir, 0 miles to go..

From all my readings on different channels, looks like most probable cause is a default gas pump…

so far I understand main gas pump for the TT is located on the right side (behind passenger seat), I removed the back panel… but the gas pump does not look like the ones I saw on youtube or other channels… not sure how to remove ot and do not want to do a mess…

if a fine mechanic on this forum can give me some tips on how to go from there to remove it and change it that would be greatly appreciated…

Thank you,
Didman

Old 03-10-2024, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The fuel pump on a Roadster is behind the passengers seat (LHD) in the bulkhead between the cabin and trunk. If installed, you will need to remove the BOSE sub-woofer to get to it.
Link here - https://www.ttforum.co.uk/threads/20...27235/#replies

Old 03-10-2024, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default How to untight the gas pump from the gas tank..

Thank you
i figured the location part out so far :-)

my question is more basic I guess… looks like the whole gas pump is “sealed” to the tank (black disc in the picture) and cannot figure out how I get it out of the tank. How do you remove the cover I guess … cannot see a screww or anything… feels like it’s forced in the tank but I’m pretty sure it’s not the case and do not want to do a mess by forcing this thing out
any advices ?
thank you
Old 03-10-2024, 10:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

According to the Workshop Manual, Fuel Supply System - D3E8006A689 in order to access the fuel pump, the fuel tank on a Roadster has to be removed first. You can find the workshop manual at the Audi TT Forum UK. Link here.
Here's a YouTube video on a Mk2 Roadster which demonstrates corrosion problems which can happen if the drip trays get blocked and water accumulates in the bulkhead, resulting in damage to the connectors. Maybe you'll get lucky and find it's just corrosion on a connector, and not the fuel pump itself. Run a search in YouTube for "Audi TT Roadster fuel pump replacement" as there are a number of videos available on how this is done.

Last edited by SwissJetPilot; 03-10-2024 at 11:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Didman (04-20-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Gas pump remival

That’s great stuff
Thank you
will check that and let u know
Old 03-12-2024, 12:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

If you can't find what you're looking for in this Forum, you might want to post over in the Audi TT UK forum as there's a ton of good information since it's a dedicated TT Forum.

https://www.ttforum.co.uk/forums/tt-forum-mk2-tt-8j.19/
The following users liked this post:
Didman (04-20-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Merci encore SwissJetPilot - auch Danke sehr ! :-)

For what it's worth... When I posted the initial message I had removed the plastic panel behind the passenger seat to investigate and take pictures and did not put it back, thinking of working on it a a later date.
I drove the TT like this for a couple of weeks and looks like the problem has disappeared. My guess is the issue was probably due to the humidity in the gaz pump electric plug (as explained as a cause in some of the chats on the net) that evaporated naturally while driving around with more air circulating in the area... At least i hope that's the case... Knocking on wood.
Thanks again though for all the useful information. Really appreciated the support. Will restart the chat if the problem comes back...
Didier
Old 04-20-2024, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

If you suspect water is getting into the bulkhead, make sure the drain hoses from the drip trays are properly secured and fitted correctly in the bottom of the bulkhead.
Check the drip trays are not blocked as water can collect and spill over, causing damp carpeting and water to collect in the bulkhead which often leads to damaged fuel pump wiring.

More here -

https://www.ttforum.co.uk/threads/ho.../#post-8986391

Drain hose properly connected -

Drain hose out of position -

Attached Files
File Type: 389803

Last edited by SwissJetPilot; 04-20-2024 at 09:24 PM.