TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

How to break in my TTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 07:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to break in my TTS

Hi fellas, its my first post here but am seeking info in many treads since a while. I placed an order for an amazing 2012 ibis white TTS in december. The car should be delivred by the end of march (waiting is killing me!) and am looking how to break in just, to be ready when it arrived! From the information i've got, some says that you should not exceed 4000 RPM for the first 600 miles, and always varying your RPM and gears. Others say that you should WOT to the redline 2 times a day and let the engine brake to cruising RPM, that should prevent oil burning.. TTS owners, what did you do, whats your opinion ?

Thx
Old 02-22-2012, 12:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I attached a PDF of the page in the manual that describes the break-in period.

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Break-in period.pdf (1.19 MB, 310 views)
Old 02-22-2012, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I pretty much followed the manual. Every so often I would gently run the engine u the rpm range to the red line and bring it down nice and easy... never stomped the go pedal.

Changed the oil out at 1000 miles, had the stage one flash done and let her rip.

No oil burning issues so far.

-----

And maybe if you are lucky, your Ibis will arrive a little early
Old 02-22-2012, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Break the windshield?
Old 02-22-2012, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

When I picked mine up, I asked the tech who did my delivery inspection about how best to break it in. "Drive the hell out of it", was his reply, with a straight face and in earnest. Nary an issue in almost four years, other than some early squeaky brakes.
Best. Car. Ever. (so far)
Old 02-22-2012, 02:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Drive it like you stole it. Warm it up before you do that. 3yrs No Problems other then the squeaky garbage truck brakes.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny to hear about the brake squeaks. Mine only very rarely did until my recent track day and now they're squealing a bit. Apparently I was not driving it hard enough!
Old 02-23-2012, 08:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thx for the comments,
Finally, if am fallowing your advice, there is no real way to brake it in! Doing it like the owner manual or like you stole it will do alomost the same thing at the end?!
Old 02-23-2012, 02:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by eltook
Thx for the comments,
Finally, if am fallowing your advice, there is no real way to brake it in! Doing it like the owner manual or like you stole it will do alomost the same thing at the end?!
Personally, I would follow the advice of the manufacturer. I'm sure they have many reasons why they recommend driving the car gently during the first 1000 miles. Sure...it's not as fun as pushing the pedal to the floor, but sports cars are about so much more than that.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

There's probably minimal risk of engine damage by repeatedly going to red line during break-in, but why take the chance? Suppose you have a warranty issue during the break-in. Do you want to have to sweat it out worrying that Audi will void your warranty because you "abused" your car during break-in. Audi would probaly honor thw warranty regardless, but why take the chance?

Quick Reply: How to break in my TTS