TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Iphone Contacts with Parentheses, parenthesis or brackets issue!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iphone Contacts with Parentheses, parenthesis or brackets issue!

I posted the following in a different thread but want to give it its own thread so someone can find this helpful info....

.......I've realized today that I can't dial any numbers in my directory that have parenthesis in the number which most of my iphone contacts have!!! (the directory being the one that is actually on my iphone but shows up on the nav screen under directory). For example if my contacts number is stored in my directory as (509) 999-9999 it won't dial it but if its 5099999999 then it will or alternatively if it doesn't have the area code at all it will dial that too. I don't want to have to go through all my contacts and remove the parenthesis it would take me months. Has anyone else had this problem and do you have a solution......

I have figured out the problem with help from the Apple website! If you select Australia for your international Region Format on your iphone then it removes all the parentheses and all spaces etc.

Step by step is...

Go to settings, then general, then scroll down to international, then select region format and choose Australia. That's it!

Then when you get back in your TTS you have a couple more things to do...

Press the Tel button, press setup, select telephone settings, then hit reset to lose the pairing. Now just re-pair the phone and it should load your phone book which now should have lost the parentheses. Good luck
Old 04-27-2009, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for an elegant solution (mate.)
Old 04-27-2009, 07:23 PM

Well, I have bad news! It doesn't seem to hold!!! When I restarted my car it went back to the old format. I am going to post to the Apple site again to see if they have another solution. My son thinks that although you can alter the format of the way numbers are shown on the iphone, the way the raw data is written may default back to the parentheses! Capiche! No, me neither! I will post back once I have a response from the Apple forum gurus!
Old 04-27-2009, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That's really weird, BriTTS...

I'd like to know why my car will accept the parentheses and make calls using them. Have you tried inserting a "1" in front of any of the numbers in your contacts? Just for kicks?
Old 04-27-2009, 07:37 PM

Do you have an 09 TTS? I'm assuming so, in which case, I wonder too why yours will and mine won't. My husband has an 07 A5 and the iphone works seamlessly with it!! I hope to hear from the Apple forum by morning.

Yes, the Apple forum suggested putting a 1 in front or adding a number on the end but the problem with that is I have a bunch of numbers and it would take a while so before I spend time on that I'd like to find a better solution. Plus if my phone becomes un-paired and any time (i.e during a service when they do the infamous software update!) then I won't have to go through all my numbers again and edit by hand.

Hopefully I can find some good news soon. I just don't understand why Audi couldn't use the same software as the A5 and others considering it obviously worked pretty well!
Old 04-27-2009, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default As the sig picture states: TTS Meteor Grey/Baseball Optic Interior :)

...I have the NAV head unit too, what about you?

I have been slowly updating my 425 contacts and their multiple phone numbers with a "1" in front of each number. Good times.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:02 PM

Yes, I have the works - got the prestige package with the baseball stitching - all black interior - white outside. Beautiful car - so fun to drive that I hate moaning about the technical side! Why have a car like this for the luxuries - you buy this car for the drive right!!

So I have a question - do you get my username briTTS?? Honest answer please - my husband and I are arguing over whether I should get this as a number plate.

Are you going to get the ipod connector?

I just spent 15 mins loading my voice dialing contacts - that was really easy. I had a Lexus GS350 before this and could never get it to work - by the time it had finished asking me 50 questions and running me around in circles I could have pulled over and hand dialed the blippety number!

You said you've been updated your 425 contacts - what is the limit?

I still don't get the difference between the "phonebook" that lists your iphone entries and the "phonebook" where it stores your voice names" Can they not be combined? Then of course there's the "directory" where you have to hand store everything, right? Or have I missed something? It would be nice to just transfer the phonebook from my iphone into the directory! Also I'm having trouble entering international numbers too in the voice phone book. Aaaaagh!!!
Old 04-27-2009, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Sounds like we have the same car in different colours...

Which wheels did you get? I opted for the 18" wheels as I didn't love either TTS option. I just put a set of the 19" S Line (RS4) wheels on with summer rubber this week. I use the 18" wheels for the winter tires.

I assumed that your name is either Britt (or Brit) or Bri so briTTS would indicate the car as being your TTS a la "Britt's". Seems to work better with Brit and best with Britt, in my humble opinion. Am I close?

On topic, Regina, SK is the city I live in and TT/S is combined with S/4, the two cars I own. I had a terrible time coming up with a user name when I joined my first Audi forum, audiforum.ca, a Canadian forum. I opted to go with the city I was from and the car I drove.

My name is Tony Smith so my friends have tried to convince me to get TTONY, TT TONY or TTONYS (six character maximum here) as a plate number. (I think they all sound a little vain or egotistical.) Personally I am not a fan of personalized licence plates. They are too easy for the police to remember!

I tried the DICE stuff with my 08 TT and it worked okay, but I prefer to use the SD card slots in the head unit of my TTS. It's relatively easy to use and between two 2GB cards you can get close to 1000 songs in the car. I leave the SD cards in the car all the time and haven't felt the need to change them since November. You knew about the SD card slots, right?

I've heard conflicting stories on contact limit. Some people complain that they don't see all of their contacts, but I have never missed one of mine. The phonebook associated with the car is completely separate from the phonebook on your phone. Unfortunately neither can be combined. You have to manually enter to the phonebook in the car for voice dialling, etc. I use a couple of international numbers as well, but dial them from the iPhone's phonebook.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:49 PM

Oh well, that's that!!!

You tried but I'm actually from England so I'm a Brit technically!! So that's why I did the britts number plate - works both ways! I've yet to own an personal number plate but this idea seamed right. The trouble with them is they have to work forever! I wonder about some I see around town - does that still apply 10 years later? Some of them don't!

Have you looked up personalized number plates on the internet surrounding TTs's? Some are pretty crude but funny! Nice tts, 34dd tts etc, etc, you should look them up for a laugh.

Yes, I knew about the SD cards but I can't load my itunes onto them as far as I know???

I did get the 19" 5 spoke - I like them actually. There are some pretty nice after market ones out there tho.

I actually have 955 entries in my contacts - not bragging - just work related etc. I could try and sync only my personal contacts with the iphone which would help but I'd still be at 342 - I'm popular what can I say LOL!! Where are you getting your smilies from btw??

I'm hoping to hear from the aftermarket installer in seattle tomorrow as to which ipod connector kit he uses. I'll post the info.

Thanks for clarifying the phonebooks etc! I'm pretty chuffed with the voice dialing so I'm sure that will be getting a workout tomorrow now I've set it up.

I too will need winter rims/tires but we only just took them off our other vehicles so can't bring myself to think about snow for a while - you know how that is I'm sure.

BTW I'm Laura Willson and I live in Spokane, WA. Nice chatting!
Old 04-28-2009, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The TopGear avatar should have given it away!

I just started recording that show from BBC Canada!

Well BRITTS as in "Brits" is even better. BRITTISH would be fun too if you had eight characters available. If you are going to do a vanity plate, I think BRITTS would be perfect. Maybe if I had encountered you in person and heard the accent I would have got it. And if you ever decide to change cars you can always keep the plate as a memento from the TTS.

An ex girlfriend of mine bought a used TT recently and is planning to get NICE TTS as a plate. She is a burlesque dancer these days so I guess she would have every right to it.

If you're using a Mac, I found a nice little program out there called SyncTunes. It's not made anymore (if you need a copy let me know) but works with any version of iTunes. In the program you just pick the play lists you want and it does the rest. Your play lists and songs will all be properly sorted and displayed on the head unit.

If you're using a PC I've heard you just build the play lists using Windows Media Player, but it's been a while since I used that program last.

His you're from the UK maybe you've heard of Dension? They are another company that specializes in automotive connectivity and communication. It's also nice stuff that I have personally used. I don't think they have an American distributor but they're Canadian suppliers used to ship state-side.

Let me know how you make out and if you need a copy of SyncTunes. Nice meeting you, Laura. Glad to see there's yet another driver out there who is as enthusiastic to share her TTS experiences as you are to make them happen.

P.S. We got snow this morning. Not enough to accumulate on the roads, but enough to cover the lawns again. UGH!

Quick Reply: Iphone Contacts with Parentheses, parenthesis or brackets issue!