TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Iphone Contacts with Parentheses, parenthesis or brackets issue!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I'm glad you like my BRITTS plate afterall - I thought it was clever. Do you think they let your ex have that plate - we went through them all and had a good laugh but figured that most of them wouldn't fly with the DMV. Let me know.

You BET i have a mac, in fact we've switched to all macs in our family in the last year - we have 4 macbooks of various kinds including the air. One of the big mac pro desktops, the imac with a large screen and a mac mini. My son is soooo clever on all this stuff!! He's already earning money for his talent at 16! I will use the program once I see how the system installs. I spoke with this car installation place today and they were going to call Germany direct to make sure - they haven't fitted anything on the new TT yet but they did sound knowledgeable and definitely thorough.

I haven't heard of Dension but I will post back as to what the installation place use and recommend.

Sorry about your snow! Really! It was v.cold here today! Brrr.

Well, back to business, I had a breakthrough today. After speaking to Audi again and to Apple and trying their suggestions, nothing worked, however I've discovered this....

.....I have been asking it to dial from the iphone dowloaded phonebook by using the buttons next to the nav screen - i.e scrolling down to the number, clicking the large wheel to select the number (parentheses and all!) and then clicking the large wheel again to dial it - this WILL NOT WORK. Once I've selected the number I can also press the bottom right corner button to select "dial" and it WILL NOT DO this either - it connects and immediately disconnects - this being the problem I originally posted. Well I've discovered today that if I hit "mode" on my steering wheel and scroll to select a name on the mini screen between the mph and rev counters then select it to dial with the scroll wheel to the left of the "mode" button, guess what, IT WORKS!!! Figure that out! Obviously there's a glitch in the audi system OR my nav system is broken.

I will mention this to my dealership when I go back to get a couple of minor things fixed and see what they say. So, all that work trying to get rid of the parentheses and it doesn't matter! I'm somewhat relieved but a little disgruntled that there's such a glitch.

I wonder if you wouldn't mind Tony, trying yours each of the ways and see if yours works - Do you have an Iphone though? Anyway, give me your thoughts and findings. Thanks.

Just for laughs - some large american boat car - tried to pass me today as we joined the same road together - it was uphill too. I popped it in sport mode and floored it - the kids looked up from reading their books to find out what was going on!! I said (like any good mum) hold on kids and off we went. Wish I could have seen that guys face! What was he thinking! I'm usually conservative with kids in the car but c'mon - he was havin' a laugh right?

Do you have any race stories?
Old 04-28-2009, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It's always a roll of the dice with personalized plates here. I've seen some nasty ones that I was sure would never pass. I lucked out with a "666" plate so that's easy enough for me to remember.

Let me know when you want SyncTunes. I'll send you a download link to get it from my iDisk.

99% of the time I dial from the scroll wheel, but I have used the head unit to dial as well. Both methods work with my iPhone 3G for my contacts with area codes in parentheses with or without the "1" in front. Maybe your head unit is wonky.

Racing is bad.

I don't think I have ever been out of sport mode. Maybe manual mode once.

My Q5 arrive today! Woohoo!

My Meteor Grey Q5 S-Line arrived today! A couple post PDI pre-clean up pics...
Old 04-29-2009, 05:58 AM

I only have the original iphone. I'm going to upgrade to the new iphone this summer. I'm tired of my son saying "well my phone will do that but yours won't!" Maybe that will make the difference - I'll pair his and see. Thanks for using the word "wonky". My friends all laugh at me when I use that word! Scew wiff is another british term that I haven't tried out on them yet - same meaning

We have such low speed limits in town that its just not worth being in sport mode often but I'm very quick to slip it into that when I need a quick fix

WOW, the Q5 looks great in the s-line. I was chatting with a fellow car lover girlfriend of mine who had bought the x3 (kind of in a hurry) last year but wished the Q5 sline was out then. She's a beemer gal but we've converted her to Audis - not tough. Sounds like you collect Audis like us. My husband has the 08 A5. That's the reason I've dumped my 07 lexus gs350! No comparison.

What other Audi's do you have?
Old 04-29-2009, 06:55 PM

I heard back from the aftermarket installation company in Seattle today. They have called Germany directly and spoken with their local Audi dealership. The definitive answer on adding an aftermarket ipod/iphone connector is as follows......

You can ad an aftermarket cable that will connect your iphone/ipod. You will NOT lose the CD changer, however you will lose satellite. He said they can and have made it where there's a slight voltage going back to the satellite unit which carries obvious risks but this will keep the satellite running. However, the biggest issue is that it WILL NOT interface with the mmi nav unit screen at all. It WILL interface with the smaller screen in the instrument cluster and will therefore allow you to scroll through using the steering wheel controls, even to the point of letting you scroll through playlist, artists, etc etc.

I have chosen not to do this I'd rather use my iphone/ipod connected through the aux. input.

I guess the 09 tts still has the old nav system and that is the reason. I only wish they'd put in the newer system at the same time they updated the body style - that would make more sense to me.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You have to wait for the upgrade and trade yours in on a 2010 model! ;)

That system sounds all to familiar. It sounds like the DICE and Dension units I tried. Neither would display in the DIS either. Not worth it. On the upside, the Aux-in works beautifully for what it is.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Get a new iPhone yet? ;-p

Or have you at least paired your son's 3G to see if it solves the parentheses problem?

You don't need high speed limits for sport mode. I just love how quickly it accelerates off the line! Have you used Launch Control yet?

Thanks for the compliments on the Q5. It is going to replace an 07 S4 Avant that I currently drive "for work." So I guess for a few more hours I'll have a TTS and an S4 Avant. After that it will be a TTS and a Q5. That will have made it an even six Audi's in the last year! LOL!

I like the A5 a lot. When I bought my 08 TT 3.2 I originally went in to buy an S5. Glad to hear the A5 got you out of the Lexus.

When I have taken some pics of the Q5 you'll have to forward them on to your BMW driving friend. She can always trade it in on an Audi! (Or at least she SHOULD!)
Old 04-30-2009, 04:02 PM

I haven't had chance to pair the 3g yet - hopefully tonight - I will report back tomorrow.

Yes on the no high speed limits needed but its hard not to shoot over the limit when is 30mph!!!! Ugh. I haven't tried the launch control yet. My son was telling me something about that when I first got it. Not sure a 16 yr old should know such things!!!

Please do send me pics of your Q5 and I will definitely forward them onto her. Her husband just bought that dodge challenger after trading in his m roadster!!! I just can't see the point to that! A. its an american car B. its only fast in a straight line and will struggle around corners C. the reliability probably sucks on it and D its not awd so it will be garaged for 6 or 7 months here! She tried to tell me today that the technology on it rivals the Audi!!!! I was speechless. She also tried to tell me the Challenger gets 25mpg!!!!

I still love driving my husbands A5 and I think I almost get as many looks in it as I do mine. We did race the other day from a red light, he was driving the TT and I the A5 - he left me in the dust! Mike read somewhere that the TT had been clocked at 4.8 secs from 0 to 60! My husband intends to trade the A5 next year for the new S5, apparently its going to have a more efficient engine next year (or year after??) That's the main reason he didn't get the S5 last year.

On another note - are you getting any rattles in your TT? My center front speaker has a vibration. The dealer has ordered a new one but its on backorder apparently - typical!

What do you do that you have a nice car for WORK!
Old 05-06-2009, 03:24 AM

Default iphone numbers

Back on topic for a minute...

I have a 2009 TTS Prestige and an original iPhone as well and I have the exact same ()'s issue. I don't plan on upgrading to the new iPhone because they seem much more flimsy in my opinion so if you come up with a solution to this I would be very interested! Currently, I've been hand dialing anytime I call or just pulling up the number from my recent calls menu which is frustrating.

Off topic - I've been reading these forums for a few months now and I would have sworn that "Regina" was a girl...
Old 05-06-2009, 05:32 AM

Well, be glad you didn't upgrade to a 3g (although it is a great phone!) My son has one and we paired it to my car and it still won't dial from the main unit with () in the number. HOWEVER, take 15 mins to set up the speak to dial feature - its awesome! I actually did it as I was driving along. You do this by pressing the mode button on the steering wheel so your phonebook shows up in the instrument cluster. You can scroll through until you find a number you want to put on voice dial. Press the speak button on the steering wheel and say "store". It will then ask you for a name, so give it a name then it will run you through a couple of other prompts that I can't remember right now but that's it. Then when you want to dial just press the voice button and say "dial", it will ask you for the name, you tell it then it repeats the name to make sure it has it correct, then say dial again and it will dial!!! This is a much safer way anyway to be dialing numbers. All this is in your manual of course but I'm not a manual reader and just wing'd it!

Off topic - I agree. I though Regina was a girl! AND I would upgrade to the new iphone in June if you're so inclined - its going to be a great new phone.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It's my sensitive side...