TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

It's here! (TTRS)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Default It's here! (TTRS)

********************************* NOTE *********************************

I last updated this post 9/20/2011. I will be posting further changes to the same post at Fourtitude:
http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthr...re!-%28TTRS%29

Picked up this baby in August. Phantom Black, tech, sports exhaust/titanium, CF mirrors

Aggressive haunches

The wing makes this car

Classic lines

That grill is ready to swallow up things whole. Not quite eagle eyes, but menacing nonetheless.

Leather and alcantara everywhere

Cool dials and pedals

Yes, the Britax fits

Some background:
I had been waiting for the S5 3.0T coupe to upgrade. Then they released the 2013 front end, and I still can't get the bad taste out of my mouth. Around the same time I saw all the talk of the TTRS. At my last track event I realized something: the B8 is an incredible chassis for its size and layout, but is just too heavy. I realized I needed a smaller car. Since I couldn't get the S5 I wanted, the TTRS was the perfect answer.

LOOKS
You don't think TT when you see this. It's a very aggressive look, with the gaping maw of a grill and front inlets. The big lower valences and side skirts take away the 'soft belly' look of the TT. The wing on the back removes the negative slope on the back that makes the TT a 'hairdresser's car'. The MkI was very rounded, like a jellybean. The MkII added some sharp creases. The TTRS takes it the next-next level. However, it's still sophisticated looking, not riced out. Not quite as pretty as an A5/S5, but a looker nonetheless. Phantom looks great in the sun, especially with the titanium option.

MOTOR
Torque monster! There's a brief but noticeable lag from low revs, and then the car just rockets. The torque is steady through 5000rpm. The quickest car I've driven was a GT-R for a few minutes. The TTRS is just a level below that, and I'm not even pushing it. I can believe the 0-60 figures for the DSG with launch control. However, power delivery is very smooth, not punchy like a typical turbo. You get to 60mph without even noticing it. On a winding road you can pretty much just keep it in 3rd. You do have to be careful about the lag - keep the RPM above 2500 and keep some throttle on. I don't think I will even consider a remap until I become a much better driver.
Paradox: 30mpg on the freeway with the AC on, and it's not broken in yet. Go figure.

STEERING
The steering feels firm but not heavy, very un-Audi-like. There's fair road transmission, but not the resolution of, say, a 911. This is probably one area the Cayman beats it. However, it's plenty of feedback for the road. I'll have to see how it does on the track.

SUSPENSION
Stock ride is comfortable, as nice as my A5 S-line. You can feel big bumps (it's not a Lexus), but not bothersome. With spirited driving a little roll is noticeable, but it'd decent for a stock mode. In Sport mode there is almost no roll. Only when I pushed really hard or when I unsettled the car (e.g. bad curve negotiation) was there slight understeer. This will probably be more evident on the track. The Sport suspension is really well set up. Probably need at least a rear ARB if going to the track. For road driving I wouldn't get springs unless you wanted the lowered look - you won't benefit from a stiffer ride on the street.

SOUND
At low revs, the car is relatively quiet, though you can hear a low steady hum, not quite a rumble (C&D's complaint?). Hit the throttle, and rumble picks ups then screams! It's completely addictive. Here's the catch - to me sport mode isn't too much louder. It does add a little more warble along with the base, but it's not night-and-day. It's almost like the stock sound is already so strong that the sport setting doesn't do much more.

BRAKES
With spirited driving the brakes are excellent. Very linear feel. No initial catch. No chattering with hard braking. Have to see how many track sessions they last.
The pedal stagger is set up for heel-toe with hard braking, which I love. This might surprise people who aren't used to this.
They do squeak when rolling to a stop. Wonder if it'll go away after some hard braking runs.
The lower grills are open (not cosmetic) and there are slits in the wheel wells. Maybe the front brakes are semi-ducted.

TRANSMISSION / DRIVETRAIN
The gate has a short throw laterally (side to side), but not very short throw vertically. The Statmosphere on my A5 has a shorter throw. The feel is very precise with just a little extra resistance. Not quite a 'snick' but mostly there.
The clutch is not stiff, and is very comfortable. It has a non-linear travel, most sensitive on mid let out. This is why people are stalling it when they first get it (I stalled at the light out of the dealership - very embarrasing). However, it's easy to get used to, and not an issue unless you're moving from a dead stop.
The Haldex programming is excellent. As noted in 'suspension' above there is almost no understeer. The car is surefooted to a fault. I think one reviewer noted, 'This is not the car to get if you want to learn to drive well'. I, for one, am happy with a car that doesn't let me kill myself. I managed to throw off the Haldex only once, when I didn't get a curve right. I felt something glitch in the drivetrain, but the car wasn't thrown off. If it works this well on the track, I don't think a remap is necessary.

SEATS
They are sporty rather than race seats. Good support for normal driving, but could be better for the track. Need much more lateral support. Good thing is the headrest is on posts, so you can use a harness. Damn you DOT and your stupid crash laws!

GADGETS / INTERIOR
I'm coming from an A5, so these are some things absent:
- keyless entry/ignition
- automatic folding mirrors
- seat memory
- real MMI
I only really miss the keyless entry.
The interior is typical Audi fit and finish. Perfect ergonomics. I thought it would be smaller, but it's remarkably roomy. My friend who's 6'4" fits just fine.
The extra leather and the white stitching is very nice. Classy with a hint of sportiness.
The aluminum on the shift **** gets really hot in the sun.
Audi Navigation Plus - Mimics AMI 3G surprisingly well, but there's obvious lag that belies it's an RNS-E. Also, it doesn't remember settings after turning off ignition. Doesn't have the console mounted controls, but since you're closer to the dash you can reach the controls just fine. It's cool to have the SD cards (up to 32GB SDHC) behind the screen and AMI in the glove box. Nav is great other than the usual complaints - hard to scroll the screen, and stupid POI access.
The Blose stereo is so-so. I'm spoiled by the B&O in the A5. I'll probably upgrade the speakers/amp later.
The DIS has a lap timer with oil temp in degrees and a boost gauge. Very cool.
Cup holders are smaller, don't hold my water bottle. (This is a US review)
For anyone interested - a Graco ComfortSport just fits behind a 5'10" man. A Britax Boulevard fits behind a vertically challenged adult (wife is 5'2"). Gets the approval from the Boss.

VERDICT
Grinning like a kid the whole drive home from the dealership. And to and from work. And when I showed it off to friends. I never used to be into exhaust sounds, but this is so addictive! This car is schizophrenic. On the freeway it's comfortable and smooth, with only the slight engine drone and the brief roar when you need to pass someone. But punch it and it's an animal. The personality switch is instantaneous. It's so sure-footed in the twisties, one is always comfortable in it. This is a turnkey track car. It would be a shame if someone bought one without planning on tracking it (or at least taking it through the twisties once in the while). I'm not sure how many cars are this much a daily driver and trackable at the same time. Looking forward to throwing it around at the track. I was originally thinking of a Cayman S in the future. But the TTRS has better looks, unbeatable Audi ergonomics and comfort, and a more thrilling driving character. We in the US got quite a steal, if you think about it. Planning on keeping the car long enough to give to my son.

Best testament: When my son (almost 3) first saw the car, he ran to it and screamed "Racecar!" He then runs around checking out every little detail, yelling "Lightning McQueen! Racecar! Lightning McQueen!"

Yeah. I made the right choice.

Last edited by Mageus; 10-09-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best new-TTRS post I've seen yet

Originally Posted by Mageus
Picked up this baby on Wednesday. Phantom Black, tech, sports exhaust/titanium, CF mirrors

Best testament: When my son (almost 3) first saw the car, he ran to it and screamed "Racecar!" He then runs around checking out every little detail, yelling "Lightning McQueen! Racecar! Lightning McQueen!"

Yeah. I made the right choice.
Thanks so much for sharing your first impressions - and the adorable story about your son's reaction. Wish I could have been there to see that!
I think the TTRS is turning out to be a nice gift for NA customers, considering the price Audi could have asked for it. Here's to many fond years ahead for you and your new "family member."
Old 08-26-2011, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

...I'm coming from an A5, so these are the things I miss:
- keyless entry/ignition
- automatic folding mirrors
- automatic climate control
- real MMI

....Yeah. I made the right choice.
...ah, I'm pretty sure your RS does have climate control .

As for the other stuff, meh... The RS has all the stuff ya need and not much of the stuff you don't.

And even though you like the car now, I can't help but suspect that your engine will get better with some miles on it.

Anyhow congrats on your RS. Can't wait to hear about your track experiences. Have fun!
Old 08-26-2011, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SoSuMi
...ah, I'm pretty sure your RS does have climate control .
Not automatic climate control (where it changes the vent speed and air temp based on cabin temp).

I'm not complaining. I was just trying to make an objective review. In hindsight it came off a bit dry. The only thing I really miss is keyless entry. The one thing I don't miss is the e-brake. Thank goodness for a proper hand pull.

I'm absolutely ecstatic about my car! I'm surprised that my coworkers aren't bored to death of me yet. My wife had given up on me years ago. (Nod and smile. Nod and smile.)

I've got a month to rack up 1K miles before the next track event, which should be easy considering my commute. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

this post is USELESS without pics
Old 08-26-2011, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aleicgrant
this post is USELESS without pics
Impatient, are we?

Fine, consider this post just made useful.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I took the car for a drive through the mountains today. I updated my mini review in the following sections: motor, suspension, brakes, transmission, verdict.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Updated pics.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:13 AM
MML
AudiWorld Senior Member

Awesome car! Thanks for the pics and the write up.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Also, it seems like throttle response is quicker with Sport on. Does the TTRS have something like ADS, or am I just imagining it?
No imagination here. Sport mode firms up the steering feel, increases throttle response, and alters the exhaust note, in addition to the adaptive suspension changes. All in kind with ADS Dynamic mode - you just don't have the Individual Mode selectability (which I would love, to keep the firm Sport mode steering feel in Normal mode).
The Haldex programming is excellent. As noted in 'suspension' above there is almost no understeer. . . . If it works this well on the track, I don't think a remap is necessary.
I've studied the Haldex behavior, using VAG-COM logging, and even on the base TT, they've done an excellent job simulating a center diff, including a little rear torque bias. Great fun on a wet skid pad!
If you want a little surprise, try a hard launch from a standstill into a tight corner and see what happens.
I thought it would be smaller, but it's remarkably roomy. My friend who's 6'4" fits just fine.
Yes, I've had several tall driving instructors amazed that they fit without their helmets hitting the ceiling, if I fully lower the passenger seat.
The DIS has a lap timer with oil temp in degrees and a boost gauge. Very cool.
Alright, now you're making me jealous. I have to hook up my laptop with VAG-COM for that.
I was originally thinking of a Cayman S in the future.
The Porsche mid-engine designs seem an ideal solution for the track, but I test drove a 6MT Boxster S, and was rather shocked at the lack of performance, relative to the quoted HP. On the other hand, the TT family seems to have a liveliness beyond what the numbers would lead you to expect. I've surprised more than one or two Porsche-owning driving instructors.

Quick Reply: It's here! (TTRS)