TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Manually opening top on MK2 convertable.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2024, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manually opening top on MK2 convertable.

Hello, I'm new here.

My wife has the Mk2 convertible 2010, and it has developed the common problem of the roof not opening. Initially it would not open at all and gave the 'can't be used' message, but after a while it disengaged the front locks but would not open any further. I have read forums and looked at videos and got an idea of all the potential problems and am happy to explore some of the simpler potential issues. Before I do, I have one simple question.

I have looked at how to close a roof that is struck open, but nowhere have I seen anything that tells me how to manually open a roof that is closed. We have opened the pressure valve and the front is detached from the windscreen locks, but the top is stuck firm in that position. How do you release the flaps/servos or what ever it is you need to do when you can't get to them because the roof is up? Am I missing something obvious?

I really would like to avoid a potentially very costly visit to the garage if I can avoid it.

Thanks.
Old 06-07-2024, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 253 Likes on 215 Posts

I've helped a friend put his top up manually several times but never had to open it after being unoperable. This video is the best and it would seem to me that if you do the spline and flaps in reverse, it should work. Bing Videos In your case it sounds like the pressure release valve is not fully engaged or not working,.or your flaps are not disengaged.
Old 06-07-2024, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
I've helped a friend put his top up manually several times but never had to open it after being unoperable. This video is the best and it would seem to me that if you do the spline and flaps in reverse, it should work. Bing Videos In your case it sounds like the pressure release valve is not fully engaged or not working,.or your flaps are not disengaged.

Thanks for the reply.

I will have a go but reaching the flap mechanisms looks difficult with the roof up.
Old 06-07-2024, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Success.

Thanks for making me think more about the pressure release. I thought we had that covered, but it was not fully closed.
For some reason, the hydraulic pressure screw has become harder to locate with the screwdriver end and turn. It also needed a lot more than a quarter turn. With the front locks now working, it opened fine.

I suppose the lesson learned here is, don't give up too soon and just phone a garage until you have tried obvious stuff several times. Also, don't be afraid to seek inspiration from helpful people on car forums.

Thanks again.