TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

New Car Advice: TT-S, M3, or CLK550

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Car Advice: TT-S, M3, or CLK550

So now that I'm done with my ML320, I am looking to move onto a sports car, I test drove a Cayman S yesterday, and while nice, I need a backseat and it didn't feel good as a daily driver. I live in San Francisco and the hills make DSG an easy choice and gas mileage is a concern considering I do 90 percent city driving. Anyway, I've narrowed my choices down to a TT-S, M3 with the new DSG, or a CLK550. The M3 is nice, but it is a gas eater. The CLK550 seems the best for daily driving, but it's so plain and is not fun to drive. So I'm here asking you guys, could I use a TT-S for everyday driving? Thanks for the input!
Old 09-30-2008, 12:33 PM

Default yeah but if you're just commuting around SF get a 2.0 FWD TT ..

you can add the S-line products offered by Audi to jazz the car up a little. couple hundred Hp in a really light car you would be amazed at how well it will handle San Fran.. and good gas mileage too.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:38 PM

Good point, but after looking at the numbers of a TT-S, it is the only TT I want haha
Old 09-30-2008, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I find my TT is a great daily driver....

...but then I'm coming for a Lotus Elise.

It sounds like it's really between the TTS and M3 but consider the TTS will price out in the $50K range while the M3 will price out in the $60K range. And with that price difference, you could consider a TT-RS which will match the M3 in power.

If you're going to be using either car for city driving, I think the M3's handling advantage won't be much of a difference over the TTS. If you're trackig the car, then the M3 would probably be a better choice.

Practicality-wise, from the M3s I've seen, the rear seats on both the TT and M3 are equally virtually useless. Not sure about trunk space though.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:27 PM

What did you think of you're Elise? Was it kinda like climbing in & out of a go cart?
Old 09-30-2008, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S5?

More stylish than the CLK, more comfortable than the M3 and roomier than the TTS.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default My leg muscles were sore for the first 3 days after I got it but after that....

...getting in and out wasn't a problem. I just slide in and unfolded my self out. Actually, the TT's takes some effort too. I'd love the look on friends faces when they asked for a ride and I say, "Sure. Get in." They'd have a confused look for about a second or two while they try to figure out how to get in.

Handling was pretty good and communicative but the problem is it needs to be adjustable. (I think the Exiges with track pack have adjustability.) Problem is, the suspension was too stiff that I'd be skipping over bumps like a rock skipping on water. If you're on paved roads, it's not a problem.

Engine needs a supercharger. Under 6,200, the car was flat but once on the second cam, it's a different story. I think a 2.0T would walk all over a n/a Elise until the Elise gets on it's second cam and then it's over. But for must of my driving, I was under 6,200 most of the time. So, I'm enjoying the flexibility of the TT's turbo.

I sold my Elise about a month before my first child was born. I ended with the TT because it was the only four seater car that I liked. It doesn't handle was well as an Elise or a Boxster but for every day practicality and non-track level abilities, it's hard to beat - especially the TT-S.

On a side note, I think the TT does have the ability to be a world class sports car but Audi needs to firm up the steering responses (it's a bit light) and get more power going to the rear wheels (Quattro version of course). Right now, I think both the TT and TTS power distribution is 85% front and 15% rear under normal conditions.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:17 PM

Default That's not a bad idea. The TT-S is cheaper and offers better performance, but I really would enjoy

a S5, it seems more of a daily driver and I'm sure my girlfriend would rather drive in it than a TT
Old 09-30-2008, 02:38 PM

I've heard that analogy before hahaha. And yes I would agree with the TT'z world class possibilities
Old 09-30-2008, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Don't know how much street parking you do, but as you know.....the smaller the better in SF

also you have the nimble fit thru any space thru traffic plus' of the TT. Yes the other cars are faster stock for stock, but a chipped TT-S should actually put down some insanely quick numbers. the TT-S would be cool!

Quick Reply: New Car Advice: TT-S, M3, or CLK550