TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

New Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tires?

Hi All -
I was hoping someone can shed some of their experiences regarding new tires for their MKII? I have a 09' TT 3.2Q and I was looking to get some TSW Trackstar 5 rims and wanted to get some new tires to go w/them (245/40/18). I was reading threads and many people suggested the Michelin PS2 Sport. I heard elsewhere that the Yokohoma S-Drives are just as good and much cheaper. What are people's thoughts about them and what are some other suggestions? (I got a price quote of a wheel/tire package of $2250 for the PS2s and $1750 for the S-Drive; mounting/aligment included)

I'm in the northeast and prefer to get All-Season tires (seems that the PS2 and S-Drives are more for Summer driving but I've read in various threads that folks use it in the snow w/o any issues).

Any advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old 01-05-2011, 03:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have you considered the Continental Extreme Contact DWS? I have an '08 3.2 Quattro. I bought it CPO and it came with the OE run flats. After the first flakes of snow, I knew I needed different tires. I searched around quite a bit and ended up getting the DWS. I have been very happy with them.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the PS2's and liked them but not sure they're worth the premium price compared to other hi-po tires. The S-drives are certainly not going to be as performance oriented but if you rarely push the car, they're likely a better deal your you.

Do yourself a favour and dont use summer tires in winter ! I'm a strong advocate of winter tires ... At the very least listen to TTRob regarding a good set of All seasons. When the difference between an accident and close call can be a matter of inches, opt for something that works in cold, slippery weather providing more control and shorter stopping distances ...

Last edited by Stevelev; 01-05-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Stevelev
Had the PS2's and liked them but not sure they're worth the premium price compared to other hi-po tires. The S-drives are certainly not going to be as performance oriented but if you rarely push the car, they're likely a better deal your you.

Do yourself a favour and dont use summer tires in winter ! I'm a strong advocate of winter tires ... At the very least listen to TTRob regarding a good set of All seasons. When the difference between an accident and close call can be a matter of inches, opt for something that workes in cold, slippery weather providing more control and shorter stopping distances ...
X2 on that!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks soo much for all of your suggestions everyone! I will definitely take a look at the Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires. Looks like thats the better bet for how I drive. Much appreciated!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by fu13bu
Thanks soo much for all of your suggestions everyone! I will definitely take a look at the Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires. Looks like thats the better bet for how I drive. Much appreciated!
I picked up my current Avant right around the end of February of '09 and got to 'enjoy' the summer tires once or twice on snow. I would have parked the car and walked except that my work drive is at an average speed of 28 mph on flat roads. Boy, those summer tires were suicide tires with snow.

Switched to the Conti's mentioned above during the following fall and was very impressed with their snow, ice, rain performance. On one occasion I was one of the very few drivers actually able to make headway through a mix of snow, rain, and ice ( ~ 31degrees).

Next month I'll be in a TTS and will just give in and get winter wheels.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 257 Likes on 217 Posts

Another vote here for the Conti DWS (Max performance All Season) We have them on my wife's A6 and they are great. Liked them so well that I put Conti DW ( Max performance Summer) on the TT . Also very good .
Both have been rated better than comparable Michelins and are far less expensive.

Ours replaced Michelin XW4 on the A6 and Pirelli P Zeros on the TT. In both cases the car was much quieter yet had far improved traction. They are perhaps a bit less crisp on turn in but once the car takes a set, they have great traction dry and are awesome in the rain. Sorry no snow experience. (Alabama)
Old 01-05-2011, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by fu13bu
Hi All -
I was hoping someone can shed some of their experiences regarding new tires for their MKII? I have a 09' TT 3.2Q and I was looking to get some TSW Trackstar 5 rims and wanted to get some new tires to go w/them (245/40/18). I was reading threads and many people suggested the Michelin PS2 Sport. I heard elsewhere that the Yokohoma S-Drives are just as good and much cheaper. What are people's thoughts about them and what are some other suggestions? (I got a price quote of a wheel/tire package of $2250 for the PS2s and $1750 for the S-Drive; mounting/aligment included)

I'm in the northeast and prefer to get All-Season tires (seems that the PS2 and S-Drives are more for Summer driving but I've read in various threads that folks use it in the snow w/o any issues).

Any advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Here is my experience in the Contis (and they are the best all seasons out there)
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2797563&page=2

If you have to use the car in all conditions -get dedicated snows.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

I cannot speak to all-seasons. Here in the SF Bay Area, I have no need for them and I'm good with that!

I have run Goodyear F1 GS-D3s for seven years between the TTS and my previous car, and I'm hooked on them. Unfortunately, I think I may be on my last set as they appear to have been replaced in the lineup by the F1 Asymmetric. However, I'm confident enough in the Goodyear product to give the new ones a try. If you decide on summer tires plus a set of dedicated snows, then I strongly suggest snagging a set of DS-G3s if you can find them.

Definitely did not care for the OEM Contis on the TTS at all. Those were not all season though, and the majority of praise here is for the all-seasons. Their dry grip was less tenacious than the F1s and their wet grip was laughable, especially by comparison. The compound also lost traction substantially as the ambient temperature approached 40 degrees or so, a trait not shared by the Goodyears, nor by various summer Potenzas I've run.

I second Reggie's sentiment once again: dedicated snows (to compliment your summer wear) are the way to go if you need the traction. Even the best of all-seasons are in fact a compromise, though the class has come a long, long way...
Old 03-10-2011, 07:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TTRob
Have you considered the Continental Extreme Contact DWS? I have an '08 3.2 Quattro. I bought it CPO and it came with the OE run flats. After the first flakes of snow, I knew I needed different tires. I searched around quite a bit and ended up getting the DWS. I have been very happy with them.
Sorry to revive an old thread.

I second this. I bought my 08 3.2 quattro CPO as well, and they put on brand new continental extreme contact DWS on it. Great ride. Pretty economical as well. I had PS2 on all my previous BMWs exclusively for summer driving and paid through my nose for them. These continentals are every bit as nice as far as daily driving is concerned for me.

Quick Reply: New Tires?