TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

new TTS or S4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new TTS or S4?

Just when I thought that I have decided to get a S4, I suddenly thought about the TTS. It has the 2 main features I want for my next car: double-clutch tranny and AWD. They are w/i the same price range more or less, so tell me which one you'd like.

I know it's a personal decision, but I'm a bit confused and would like to hear other opinions, so perhaps you can analyze my thought process:
-I prefer the look of the TTS, after all, it's a sports car
-I've been wanting something more than 4 cylinders, unfortunately TTS only has 4 and the S4 has the great supercharged V6
-S4 has the more powerful engine, but weighs more...which one should be better handler? I assume TTS? 0-60 times seems to be slightly in favor of S4 though
-winter driving: would TTS be viable? if so, not a big factor then vs S4
-S4 seats the rear passengers better obviously, but not a big factor

*is the quattro and s-tronic (save that S4 has 7 spd and TTS has 6) the same for both cars?

Thx!
Old 04-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

They both have dual-clutch and AWD...S4 has the rear differential, which makes a big difference in handling.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by brisbane2
They both have dual-clutch and AWD...S4 has the rear differential, which makes a big difference in handling.
That's right, totally forgot about the SD for the S4...does that mean S4 can beat TTS in handling? It is still 250kgs heavier than the TTS though.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

which one do you like the best? buy that one. they are both great cars, no lose scenerio, unless you are an MT person (like me), in which case TTS is a non-starter.

Bruce
Old 04-19-2010, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drive both doing something more than just around the block if at all possible - I tried both at the Audi Sportscar Experience last month and as I expected, preferred the TTS, though the S4 is a great car too - it's just a bit bigger and heavier, no way around it. (I believe the TTS was faster than the S4 in the C&D Lightning Lap, if an independent simultaneous test is meaningful to you, and that's in an environment with sustained triple digit speeds where the HP advantage of the S4 would be really useful - still not faster though.)

Of course, if you want a manual, rtkskicar is right, you've only got one option, but the DSG is awesome, I just took home a TTS this week and couldn't be happier, and as a bonus, it's less common - at least where I live, S4s are all over the place, strangely...
Old 04-19-2010, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JimInSF
Drive both doing something more than just around the block if at all possible - I tried both at the Audi Sportscar Experience last month and as I expected, preferred the TTS, though the S4 is a great car too - it's just a bit bigger and heavier, no way around it. (I believe the TTS was faster than the S4 in the C&D Lightning Lap, if an independent simultaneous test is meaningful to you, and that's in an environment with sustained triple digit speeds where the HP advantage of the S4 would be really useful - still not faster though.)

Of course, if you want a manual, rtkskicar is right, you've only got one option, but the DSG is awesome, I just took home a TTS this week and couldn't be happier, and as a bonus, it's less common - at least where I live, S4s are all over the place, strangely...
You were considering a S4 also? What factors made to decide for the TTS?

I'm giddy like a kid in a candy store, going to test the TTS tmw. Tried the S4 today and was impressed.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Test drove a TT and S4 this last weekend. One thing I noticed was road noise. The TT was MUCH louder inside the cabin than the S4. It appears to me the S4 has better sound insulation and that V6 isn't quite as noisy at cruising speeds. I think this just might be a side effect of the 4-cylinder engines though. They work harder all around.

Also, it comes down to practicality for me. 4 doors means more friends can come with.

Not sure if the TTS is any quieter than the TT, they had none I could test drive.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tranquility
You were considering a S4 also? What factors made to decide for the TTS?

I'm giddy like a kid in a candy store, going to test the TTS tmw. Tried the S4 today and was impressed.
I was basically considering all comers - M3, Z4, Boxster, Cayman, S4, S5, SLK55... though if I was going to go with a sedan, I was more likely to go with an M3 than the S4, as that V8 is a lovely thing, though the wife just about had a heart attack when she saw 14mpg. (I tried to explain that producing 400hp consumes a lot of fuel, but to no avail. ) I went in with a pretty open mind, and actually, initially inclined strongly toward a Cayman S.

I ended up picking the TTS because it totally wowed me, both aesthetically and behind the wheel. Not to be down on the S4 at all, not even a little - it is absolutely awesome, and certainly in the same league, but it's a sedan, and increased practicality for toting people notwithstanding, that's just not what floats my boat. Something about the TTS gives you that "cockpit of a fighter plane" feeling that you just do not get in a larger car, bigger motor notwithstanding. (I've got another car for toting people when need be, don't need to buy two vehicles for carrying passengers - this is my toy car, so compromising it for practicality seemed like moving in the wrong direction. Others, like Audi-Found! below, go the opposite direction here, and this is really a fundamental call - do you need to be able to carry adults in the back?) Also, I hate to sound prissy, but I have to admit that the fact that I see S4s around here every day (same for the M3) was actually a strike against it.

The TTS was relatively uncommon, absolutely gorgeous, and rocketship fast - a lethal combo, IMHO, plus it has all of the Audi safety features (e.g., knee airbags - the Porsches did not have them), gets great freeway mileage if you're not on the throttle (I drive back and forth from SF to LA a lot), and the small size makes it easy to park in a tight garage or in the city. For my dollar, it was the TTS for the easy win, but the S4 is also a great choice, esp. if you think you'll need to haul people in it rather than just playing or commuting.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Jim's right, back to back test drives are the only way to settle this IMO, assuming a dealer has a TTS on the lot, and assuming the driving part is the crux here. I haven't actually seen a TTS on my local lot since I bought mine!

You said you were looking to capitalize on a dual-clutch system, so a third pedal isn't part of the decision. In my eyes, that's a plus, as DSG is a sheer delight in manual mode. Some of us need the physicality of engaging the clutch as part of the driving experience, some of us don't, and some of us used to but have been overwhelmed by this tech and its capabilities (oooo, me, me!). Transmission choice has become a matter of personal preference at this particular automotive altitude. What makes the experience most enjoyable for the driver is the system to insist upon.

I didn't go to the dealership looking for a TTS. Unavailability of an A3 3.2Q with sport suspension put me in a test drive of the TTS, and lack of an Avant here in the S4 started me looking at the A3 (I don't do sedans). Circuitous route, but a fun one. My reality is that my needs had changed, and I really no longer needed the extra doors on any kind of a regular basis, an epiphany that hit me about 35 seconds into my test drive, and opened my eyes to a whole new realm of possibilities.

Bottom line is that this isn't a right/wrong choice here, IMO. Just a preference. Survey your needs, then cater to your desires.

Now if it was between a Cayman S and a TTS, well then, TTS and no mistake...
Old 04-20-2010, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Great reviews, guys. Yes, seems like I'm coming around to the TTS even when I wasn't considering it at all! I thought that I wanted the S4 but while very powerful, it is still a big machine and I'm more of a small car guy. The +2 seating is a nice feature if I must carry other ppl. Unless my upcoming test drive disappoints, it'll be hard to knock off the TTS as the car I'm going to buy.

EDIT: they discontinued Brilliant Red (aargggh) and replaced it with Volcano Red Metallic. Has that color been used b4 and do you have links to pix? Thx.

Quick Reply: new TTS or S4?