TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

rear turning light-bulb replacement on Mk2

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear turning light-bulb replacement on Mk2

I hope it's the right section to ask -- does anyone have a clue how to replace the rear turning light-bulb (passenger side if it makes a difference)? The manual of course says contact your Audi dealer.

Is the tail-light supposed to be pulled out or you can access it from the back?

Mine has been giving me warnings that it's out from time to time, but then sometimes the warning goes away, I'm guessing it's just loose there.

thanks!
Old 01-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here are the instructions from tha Audi Manual.

Removing
Caution
Switch off all electrical consumers.
Switch off ignition and remove ignition key.

– Turn light switch into “0” position.
– Fold cut out area, behinf the light assembly -2- of luggage compartment forward.
– Remove bolt behind cut out area -3-.
– Slide rear lamp -1- toward outside -arrow- and disengage from retaining pins on body.
– Disconnect electrical harness connector at lamp carrier.
Installing
l Tightening torque → Chapter.
Install in reverse order of removal, noting the following:
NoteMake sure seal between body and tail lamp housing seals properly.
– Position tail lamp on retaining bolts from outside and press on in direction of vehicle center until it locks.
Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2010, 03:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!
Old 01-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I'm assuming I've got the owners manual and there's a technical manual out there?

Does it say what kind of key do I have to use to take off the bolt behind the cut out area (I guess I'm missing some tools from my car)? Also, I'd very much appreciate if you could give me instructions about torque-wrench for the spark plugs (and if it's tricky to replace them, the instructions for replacement).

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, I still haven't given up on that, maybe somebody will help me out -- so after taking out the bolt holding the tail-light assembly I'm trying to pull the (passenger) tail-light to the right away from the car but it's held to the body by the plastic piece preventing it. Is there a clip I can take off or something? Should I be pulling it back away from the car? I'm afraid to break the plastic.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Spark plug torgue is 30 Nm. Accoring to the manual there is a special tool to pull the coil packs out. They are press fit. Other than that removing the spark plugs should be with a normal spark plug wrench.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

On the tail light removal:

I think the arrow is misleading. If I look at the housing assembly drawing there a two retaining pins on the outside of the housing. With the bolt you removed holding the inside of the housing. I would try to push the housing towards the back of the car and not the side as the arrow shows.

I tell you this with caution as I have not done this myself. Breaking the housing would cost you more that a trip to the dealer. So be careful.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ah, too bad about the spark plugs then -- is it a proprietary tool or do you think I could find it for sale somewhere? I really wanted to save on changing spark plugs.

For the tail-lights, the arrow was correct actually. Upon removing the bolt inside the cut-out area, you need to give a light a small push to the outside and that will disengage the metal pins of the tail-light from the plastic housing on the car (there are two of them: on the top and bottom of the outside part of the light assembly) and then you slide the tail-light out backwards.

Speaking of which, I'm confused by the markings on the bulbs inside, there're 3 "turning signal" style bulbs and 2 "break/running light" style bulbs, I'll paste what's marked on them below and would greatly appreciate if you could help me identify the proper common socket name so I could try to find decent LED replacements for them.

Signal lights:
TOSHIBA 921
12V W16W E2 218
A12V18W JAPAN

Break/running lights:
OSRAM
7506SL LF
GERMANY
12VP21W
37R E1 00216
w6p4
20-187

Thanks again!
Old 01-09-2010, 07:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here is a picture of the special tool. If you are creative I bet you could build something that works.

The key numbers for the bulbs are W16W-12V and P21W-12V.

If you can find LED lamps that are substutes for these part numbers you should be okay.
Attached Images