TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Run flats scare the hell out of me

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 253 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Run flats scare the hell out of me

Been investigating a Mk 2 TTR a little further. Has anyone looked at the BMW forums about their experience with run flats? Truely nasty issues include:
1. Although supposedly rated for about 100 miles when flat, most folks get rim damage by then. 50 miles max is more likely.
2. Totally non-repairable - any minor puncture and you throw away the tire.
3. $300 to replace a tire.
4. Multiple issues with irregular and/or rapid (less than 10K miles) wear.
5. Replacing the tire takes a special changing tool that most garages do not have.
6. Long waits for replacement tires.
7. The usual complaints about stiffer ride and poorer traction compared to standard tires.

Seems like run flats are might be OK if you live in the East where you are always close to urban areas. In that case you drive your car to your favorite tire store and leave it there until they can fix it which might take days. However, most of my trips out here have me often 100 miles or more from a gas pump, much less a true service station. If you are planning to drive on run flats for TTW, a flat tire could ruin your entire trip where even a tow could be an all day event.

Also, anyone looked into the air pressure monitoring technology used on the TT? If you like aftermarket rims, some technologies require a re-installation of the system that can cost $125 to $250 per wheel unless you want the alarm going off continuously.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have the Pirelli P-Zero Nero all season run flats. It is true about not...

being able to repair them. I bought warranty certificates from Discount Tire so $50 gets you a new tire installed anytime you have a flat. It does take a few days to get the tire in. Last time was 2 business days. I have over 15K miles and drive my car crazy hard (leased) and the tires are still in great shape tread-wise. Maybe mom-and-pop shops might not have the equipment to mount run-flats but most chain tire shops have it. You are right about the fact that if you travel far and get a flat you are SOL until the closest shop can order one in and mount it. Might require a couple days in a hotel. I really wished Audi could have figured a way to include a spare. Check into tirerack.com for the TPMS, I'm pretty sure it doesn't cost that much for a re-install kit.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Run flats scare the hell out of me

how long untill the tires lose all tread 25k?
Old 03-11-2008, 03:40 AM

Default Re: I have the Pirelli P-Zero Nero all season run flats. It is true about not...

I have done the same. the only problem is if you are not near a discount tire, what do you do. Then you are at the mercy of "Joes Garage."
They should have had a spare....
Old 03-11-2008, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default My experience with run flats on my MINI Cooper S was quite positive

I had the Dunlop DSSTs.

I believe Dunlop said not to drive more than 50 miles at 50 mph on the tire with 0 air pressure.

I did have a flat and Discount Tire repaired the tire. The puncture was in the middle of the tread.

They seemed to wear fast (20k miles), but then again, most performance tires are through by then.

I agree they are more expensive, but not having to worry about my wife having to change a flat was a huge upside.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Are dealers offering tire/wheel protection packages on new cars?

Although my 3.2 s-line will not have RF's, my wife's 328xi has them and we purchased a full replacement tire/wheel package for her car for around $500 for the life of the lease. For peace of mind, it's worth it. One incident would pretty much pay for itself. Does Audi offer this through a 3rd party? And would they do this for a new car without RF's?
Old 03-11-2008, 05:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

TPMS sensor are 220 for a set at tirerack.com
Old 03-11-2008, 06:58 AM

Default When I bought my S4, the dealer offered me a package through a third party warranty.

I think it was about 500.00. I didnt take it, but it almost or would have paid for itself.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:36 AM

some runflats can be repaired. pirelli says theirs cannot.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replaced R-Fs on my Z4 at 10k miles. with R-Fs, steered like a motorboat.

There's nothing good about RFTs.

I got non-RFs with my MkII, and a mobility kit. Drives like a dream.

Fact is, I doubt if very many of us could change a wheel. I know, some of you do your own winter/summer exchanges. But on the road? No way. And I wouldn't expect my g/f to do it.

You've got Audi roadside service for four years. I've also got roadside with my insurance.

Quick Reply: Run flats scare the hell out of me