TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Thinking about trading in my VW CC 4Motion for a TTS, a few questions??????

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 06:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about trading in my VW CC 4Motion for a TTS, a few questions??????

I am thinking about trading in my VW CC 4Motion for a TTS. I like the 4Motion, it is has everything I want except one thing, it is not fun to drive. I have owned a ton of cars and 2 of them that were the most fun were a Mazda Miata and a 20th Anniv VW GTI. I have a 2007 Shelby Mustang as a Weekend toy so this would be my daily driver. I know it would get better MPG than I currently get with the 3.6 VR6, although I do love this motor. I had a 2006 A4Q with the 2.0 and I did love that car. I am not sure what it is, but it seemed like the Quattro was superior to 4Motion as well, every day and in the snow/wet weather.

Here are my questions-

1. I have a Honda Oddyssey to do the family hauling, but in a pinch would it be an issue fitting young kids in the back? I have twin 5 year old boys and a 18 month old girl.

2. How is the visibility? Does it have blind spots? I know I have to drive one, but there are not many around.

3. I am in no rush, actually prefer to wait a few months because I am moving in April and I don't want to do anything to give the mortgage company a reason to ask questions. Based on your experience is it cheaper to order or find one?

4. I know the DSG had issues in the GTI, does the TT also have issues and if so have they fixed them? This is another feature I am looking forward to, the DSG transmission.

That is all I can think of for now.

Thank you All

Last edited by MessyMarvin; 02-27-2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MessyMarvin

Here are my questions-

1. I have a Honda Oddyssey to do the family hauling, but in a pinch would it be an issue fitting young kids in the back? I have twin 5 year old boys and a 18 month old girl.

2. How is the visibility? Does it have blind spots? I know I have to drive one, but there are not many around.

3. I am in no rush, actually prefer to wait a few months because I am moving in April and I don't want to do anything to give the mortgage company a reason to ask questions. Based on your experience is it cheaper to order or find one?

4. I know the DSG had issues in the GTI, does the TT also have issues and if so have they fixed them? This is another feature I am looking forward to, the DSG transmission.

That is all I can think of for now.

Thank you All
I just traded my A4 Avant in yesterday for an oolong TTS and now have around a 120 miles or so on my new ride but on to your questions.

1. No human other than David Blaine should have to ride in the back. I don't even think that there are seat belts... but then I haven't tried getting in back there to find out. I did notice that the manual mentions that there are attachment points for kiddy seats.

2. Visibility is surprising good all around. As I recall the gen one TT was like sitting in a bathtub while wearing an over-sized German helmet. It's certainly better than my '09 Avant. I really like the seating position as well.

3. There shouldn't be any difference in price between ordering one vs finding one kicking around on some dealer's lot. I always go the factory order route so I can get just the config that I want.

4. Seems the issues with the DSG have mostly been ironed out (I hope). Come back and ask that question in a couple of years

Anyhow the TTS is a great little car that still manages to have decent cargo space. You know you could get a roof rack and strap you kids down up there. They'd think you're the greatest dad in the world....
Old 02-27-2011, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mess, Where you at? If your local come take mine for a whirl.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My 9 year old daughter and two of her friends squeezed in the back for a very short trip. The biggest issue besides height back there is no leg room, so moving the front seats forward to get some makes everyone uncomfortable!
The TTS is a blast to drive - not sure I would recommend it as a DD but judging from the cars you've had before it might work for you. Don't expect great mileage from the 2.0, it winds out too high on the highway for any hypermileage, I average about 25.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

1. I pick up my 15 YO son and his bud from school every day. My guy sits in the back as his growth spurt hasn't quite hit yet. I wouldn't take him on any trip longer than a few minutes now, but he would have been plenty comfy back there up to the age of at least 10. The car is my daily driver, and is surprisingly utilitarian when need arises. It has an obscene amount of available hauling space for a sporting machine.

2. I have no visibility issues, other than thick A-pillars, but I have that issue with every car on the road mfr'd since the 70's.

3. Good luck finding one in stock. I haven't seen one on my local lot since I bought mine. I'm near the Livermore, CA shop and they had to truck mine in from Pennsylvania. Order what you want the way you want it, unless you happen upon one you like.

4. DSG is a product of WRC. The hardware is pretty flawless. The software has had issues. I don't want to tempt fate, but I've had two years and 26K miles with mine and it's been perfect. So perfect, and so much fun, that I will likely make it a condition of purchase for whatever car I may buy in the future.

Around town my mileage is about 20 and can drop into the teens if I'm playing. On my frequent jaunts between San Ramon and Carmel on I-680 I'm getting very close to 30.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the replies so far, I really like what I have read so far.

One other issue I have read is folks say the engine is the old style that takes a timing belt and had issues as opposed to the newer style that the regular TT has that takes a timing chain.

Not sure, I usually do not keep cars over 2-3 years so it probably would not matter regardless.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MessyMarvin
Thanks for the replies so far, I really like what I have read so far.

One other issue I have read is folks say the engine is the old style that takes a timing belt and had issues as opposed to the newer style that the regular TT has that takes a timing chain.

Not sure, I usually do not keep cars over 2-3 years so it probably would not matter regardless.
The service manual suggests that you can go about a million miles, give or take a hundred thousand, between belt changes.

Well maybe not that many miles...

Anyhow I've read that some folks just go for an earlier change, maybe around 65,000 miles or so (along with the water pump).

But as you mentioned, what do you care as you will be swapping your ride out long before the timing belt ever becomes an issue.

You know, if you still have concerns about the engine you might want to consider ...oh maybe... a TT RS? Just think of me as your local neighborhood enabler
Old 02-28-2011, 05:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SoSuMi
The service manual suggests that you can go about a million miles, give or take a hundred thousand, between belt changes.

Well maybe not that many miles...

Anyhow I've read that some folks just go for an earlier change, maybe around 65,000 miles or so (along with the water pump).

But as you mentioned, what do you care as you will be swapping your ride out long before the timing belt ever becomes an issue.

You know, if you still have concerns about the engine you might want to consider ...oh maybe... a TT RS? Just think of me as your local neighborhood enabler

Here's the actual number- straight from AoA. Notice arrived in the mail a few weeks ago as a supplement to the owner's manual for my MY 11 TTS. Note that it says applies to MY10 & MY09 as well.

Ken
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2011, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks...

...if I recall correctly that's what my manual specifies but if I keep this car for an extended period I would probably do the change earlier as we all know what happens if that belt fails... KABOOM!

Ordered some Klasse stuff for my new TTS and once the weather breaks, it'll be time to clean her up and break out the camera
Old 02-28-2011, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thought: if the timing belt on my old Dodge Stratus (Mitsu 2.5L V6) could make it 120K before its change out, I'm thinking a 16-year later VAG belt should be able to go at least 90% of that. ;-)

I had the car parked across the street yesterday while I did some sanding on some cabinetry I'm building. Looking up from time to time and seeing it sitting there (as opposed to in the garage as usual), I still sometimes can't quite grasp that it's mine. All mine...

Quick Reply: Thinking about trading in my VW CC 4Motion for a TTS, a few questions??????