TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Thinking of swapping 2009TT for TTS (After GIAC reflash

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 12:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of swapping 2009TT for TTS (After GIAC reflash

Hello guys..

I have had my 09 TT 2.0T S-tronic FWD Coupe for about 6 months now and I LOVE IT. I love the DSG, Interior, Turbo, Exterior.. everything.. the only think I DONT like is the FWD Wheel Hop and Torque Steer...

I just got the GIAC reflash, and WOW.. it feels great.. but there is too much wheel hop.. I notice it a lot more now after the increase in power from the reflash.

I have a Meteor Grey/Red interior.. I love the color combo, which is keeping me from giving it up.. and I love my monthly lease payment of $470 too (including all taxes)

I am kinda considering a TTS because:

1) Quattro AWD upgrade
2) Power Upgrade
3) More aggressive styling

Is anyone in the USA leasing their TTS Premium/Prestige? How much are your monthly payments? I am just looking to see how much extra I will be paying for the TTS versus my TT and if it is even worth all the dealer headache all over again.

Thanks for any input in advance.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cbktt
Is anyone in the USA leasing their TTS Premium/Prestige? How much are your monthly payments? I am just looking to see how much extra I will be paying for the TTS versus my TT and if it is even worth all the dealer headache all over again.
Check out https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2780200

Mike
Old 05-03-2010, 05:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

More of an issue than the potential 2011 TTS lease payment (probably pushing $800/mo) and dealer headaches will be terminating your current lease contract! I checked mine, and the only way out without being raped is to...die!
Old 05-03-2010, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Why would you lease instead of purchasing? Just curious, as I have never considered leasing.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by crewltof
Why would you lease instead of purchasing? Just curious, as I have never considered leasing.
If u own your own business there are write offs/tax breaks when leasing.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

> Why would you lease instead of purchasing? Just curious, as I have never considered leasing.

Originally Posted by kendoist4162
If u own your own business there are write offs/tax breaks when leasing.
Also, leasing lets you get into a more expensive car than you could otherwise afford. :-)

But seriously, if you're going to finance the car anyway then sometimes the leasing rate is very attractive in comparison to normal auto loan rates. I also flip cars frequently and it's not easy to private sale expensive cars due to few potential buyers and no ability to offer financing. Dealer trade-in is another option but you still incur a large financial hit. So leasing, with the built-in termination date, can be convenient and offer no financial ambiguity. Essentially, you're just "renting" the car for a lengthy period.

On the flip side, leasing is very restrictive and you really must plan on keeping the car for the entire lease term. Breaking a lease early is usually hugely expensive because the current value of the car will be much, much less than what you currently owe.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mikey94025
> Why would you lease instead of purchasing? Just curious, as I have never considered leasing.

Also, leasing lets you get into a more expensive car than you could otherwise afford. :-)

But seriously, if you're going to finance the car anyway then sometimes the leasing rate is very attractive in comparison to normal auto loan rates. I also flip cars frequently and it's not easy to private sale expensive cars due to few potential buyers and no ability to offer financing. Dealer trade-in is another option but you still incur a large financial hit. So leasing, with the built-in termination date, can be convenient and offer no financial ambiguity. Essentially, you're just "renting" the car for a lengthy period.

On the flip side, leasing is very restrictive and you really must plan on keeping the car for the entire lease term. Breaking a lease early is usually hugely expensive because the current value of the car will be much, much less than what you currently owe.
All the info you have stated is very true UNLESS you have someone take over your lease. I have does this a few times and works out real well, you can change cars way before a standard 3 year term. The only catch, you must get an INCREDIBLE monthly lease payment so that the deal is attractive to potential lease take overs.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just to chime in, yes, leasing is smart if you can write some or all of it off as a business expense, as I have done in the past. That's usually what makes it a smart alternative. The other reason would be if the lease is heavily subsidized, but I can't see that on a TTS. As far as getting more car for less money goes, in the absence of subsidies, I just don't see it. When I look at monthly payment calcs for lease v. financed purchase, I just don't see huge affordability jumps on the lease side these days.

Your annual mileage is a factor, and can be a deal breaker. Leases are usually written for 10K-15K miles per year, and the cost difference between those to markers is, or can be, pretty substantial. Beyond 15K per year can be hefty. Miscalculating your needs and going over your mileage can be even pricier, up to as high as .25 a mile, depending on the lease terms.

Last edited by Plan_Man; 05-10-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, I just pulled the trigger last month and what kept me from leasing is that I want to be able to use the car for road trips, etc. - if you lease it, you will be very conscious of that mileage limit and end up not using the car for things you might otherwise use it for, and I want to enjoy her every day.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am paying $470 per month including taxes and only paid $500 out the door to start my lease for everything. The MSRP on my TT was about $42k and I am totally happy the lease payment.

Yes, I am limited to 12k miles per year but I have had my TT for over 7 months now and have driven it about 4300 miles only. To say the least, I dont drive too much. And on the weekends, I drive my wife's X5 and my TT just hangs out in the parking lot. I guess leasing is for me.

Just so hard to believe that the TTS is just $4k more than my TT at $42k. For just $4k you get SO MUCH more. For purchase, it works out great. For leasing, I am beginning to think, that extra $4k means an extra $150-$200 in monthly lease payments, since the residual and rates arent as good on the TTS as they are on my TT. Anyone have any info on this?

Quick Reply: Thinking of swapping 2009TT for TTS (After GIAC reflash