TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

TT / TTS / ....S4

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 07:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT / TTS / ....S4

Hi guys / gals....awesome and informative site!! Here is my dilema, I am looking to purchase or lease a TTS. I have not had an opportunity to drive a TTS as there are NONE around my area ...Saginaw, MICHIGAN.

I drove a 2009 TT admittedly it had 49,000 miles on it but frankly felt underpowered when I hit the gas. It was a DSG model. I know an S4 with rock based on what I've read with a supercharged 3.0

I'm just wondering what to expect from a TTS everything I hear is regards to turbo lag and how it IS an issue. Building a TT online (prestige package with magnetic ride) is $48,445. The TTS (prestige package)$51,245. The difference is not much, which leads me to lean towards the TTS.

I hear talk of reflashing the ECU!?!? My question is where to do that, will it void the warranty, and the cost? I only have 1 AUDI dealership near me, but I'm not sure I trust them enough. I would drive to the Detroit area to have it done. Any and all thoughts would be wonderful. Thanks in advance!!

P/S Anyone ever used services like LEASE COMPARE.COM ?????
Old 01-12-2012, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by hextall27
Hi guys / gals....awesome and informative site!! Here is my dilema, I am looking to purchase or lease a TTS. I have not had an opportunity to drive a TTS as there are NONE around my area ...Saginaw, MICHIGAN.

I drove a 2009 TT admittedly it had 49,000 miles on it but frankly felt underpowered when I hit the gas. It was a DSG model. I know an S4 with rock based on what I've read with a supercharged 3.0
For 2010 the TT got the more recent EA888 engine. While the hp figures aren't much to snort at, the real news is the torque increase. I think that you might have a different reaction with the current engine as that torque comes on early and strong. You should try to find a new TT and give one a spin.

I'm just wondering what to expect from a TTS everything I hear is regards to turbo lag and how it IS an issue. Building a TT online (prestige package with magnetic ride) is $48,445. The TTS (prestige package)$51,245. The difference is not much, which leads me to lean towards the TTS.
With the new EA888 base engine, turbo lag isn't an issue. With the beefed up EA113 in the TTS it can be an issue. With the TTS you need to keep the revs at 2500 or better to avoid lag. It really isn't an issue for me but others can't stand it.

I went with the TTS because I was able to find one to test drive and really liked it. I'd guess that had I driven the base model I would have liked that as well but the difference in cost wasn't an issue for me. In fact, if I had know what the RS was going to go for I would have opted for that instead of the TTS (but I'm fine with my "S").

I hear talk of reflashing the ECU!?!? My question is where to do that, will it void the warranty, and the cost? I only have 1 AUDI dealership near me, but I'm not sure I trust them enough. I would drive to the Detroit area to have it done. Any and all thoughts would be wonderful. Thanks in advance!!
I got my TTS flashed as soon as it hit 1000 miles. I did that in part because I just felt that the TTS needed to have better than 300 hp... as stock it barely performs better than the current TT

I went with APR because there was an installer not far away and I have used APR several times in the past with good results.

Once you go to the "dark side" you have to be ready to pay to play. While the flash for my car was around $600 (don't recall exactly), there's always the chance of a failure of one of the drive line components such as the turbo, tranny, whatever. If that happens and Audi finds out that the car was "chipped", I could be on the hook for the bill. But that's life, eh?

I haven't discussed the S4 as I have only driven the current gen one time and I did like it. However the S4 is a different critter all together and provides for different needs, such as its ability to transport more mammals & stuff. It comes down on what you need the car to be able to do for you and only you can decide on that.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

TTS with a APR tune is the way to go. It was definitely one of my top 3 favorite cars I've owned and I've had 18 in the past 11 years(I have issues)!

Last edited by bmoney; 01-12-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bmoney
TTS with a APR tune is the way to go. It was definitely one of my top 3 favorite cars I've owned and I've had 18 in the past 11 years(I have issues)!
Do dealerships do APR tuning or is that through shops? Thanks for the input
Old 01-12-2012, 09:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SoSuMi
For 2010 the TT got the more recent EA888 engine. While the hp figures aren't much to snort at, the real news is the torque increase. I think that you might have a different reaction with the current engine as that torque comes on early and strong. You should try to find a new TT and give one a spin.

With the new EA888 base engine, turbo lag isn't an issue. With the beefed up EA113 in the TTS it can be an issue. With the TTS you need to keep the revs at 2500 or better to avoid lag. It really isn't an issue for me but others can't stand it.

I went with the TTS because I was able to find one to test drive and really liked it. I'd guess that had I driven the base model I would have liked that as well but the difference in cost wasn't an issue for me. In fact, if I had know what the RS was going to go for I would have opted for that instead of the TTS (but I'm fine with my "S").

I got my TTS flashed as soon as it hit 1000 miles. I did that in part because I just felt that the TTS needed to have better than 300 hp... as stock it barely performs better than the current TT

I went with APR because there was an installer not far away and I have used APR several times in the past with good results.

Once you go to the "dark side" you have to be ready to pay to play. While the flash for my car was around $600 (don't recall exactly), there's always the chance of a failure of one of the drive line components such as the turbo, tranny, whatever. If that happens and Audi finds out that the car was "chipped", I could be on the hook for the bill. But that's life, eh?

I haven't discussed the S4 as I have only driven the current gen one time and I did like it. However the S4 is a different critter all together and provides for different needs, such as its ability to transport more mammals & stuff. It comes down on what you need the car to be able to do for you and only you can decide on that.
Yeah, luckily I have until December when my current lease expires to figure it out and find a TT and hopefully a TTS to test drive. Thanks for the input!!
Old 01-12-2012, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Do dealerships do APR tuning or is that through shops? Thanks for the input
They don't. You have to find an authorized APR installer.

http://www.goapr.com/

There are other vendors too, but I haven't had any experience with 'em.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, found one in Ferndale...about 75 miles away!!
Old 01-12-2012, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks, found one in Ferndale...about 75 miles away!!
Just noticed that you are in Michigan. I'm down near Akron Ohio but get up into Michigan to play with my Kayak. After I swapped my A4 Avant for the TTS I had to get another car just for kayak hauling ... but worse is that I now have more miles on car number two than the TTS.

But yesterday we had a light rain and I took the Audi out and used the rain to my advantage as a "pre rinse". Got home and washed the car in the rain (with proper wetting agents and microfiber cloth) and dried it off in the garage. Looks great! Never expected to be doing that in January.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SoSuMi
Just noticed that you are in Michigan. I'm down near Akron Ohio but get up into Michigan to play with my Kayak. After I swapped my A4 Avant for the TTS I had to get another car just for kayak hauling ... but worse is that I now have more miles on car number two than the TTS.

But yesterday we had a light rain and I took the Audi out and used the rain to my advantage as a "pre rinse". Got home and washed the car in the rain (with proper wetting agents and microfiber cloth) and dried it off in the garage. Looks great! Never expected to be doing that in January.
I don't make it down to Ohio very often...unless I find an AUDI dealership that wants to deal