TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

TT vs TTS without mods (not chipped)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Happy with a lowly base TT, 2012 with mag ride, all black leather and heated seats. Has plenty of power for me plus good mpg. I paid a little over 40K and did not pay any tax. Probably in the minority as far as "need mo power", lovin it natural.

Last edited by porttac; 02-10-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm going to do the same. Auto magazines say skip the TTS and get the '11/12 TT...

Originally Posted by porttac
Happy with a lowly base TT, 2012 with mag ride, all black leather and heated seats. Has plenty of power for me plus good mpg. I paid a little over 40K and did not pay any tax. Probably in the minority as far as "need mo power", but lovin it.
You can save $8-10k and avoid the TTS turbo lag with the big boost in torque. I also think 4 tailpipes on a small 4-pot coupe look a bit busy The nice round twin pipes on the '11/12 TT look really solid and nicely widen the stance of the car.

Audi Torques the 2011 TT | QuattroWorld
http://www.quattroworld.com/car-revi...s-the-2011-tt/

"Unlike the TTS, however, no discernable turbo lag further delays forward progress. Maximum torque comes on at a low 1600 rpm (900 rpm lower than the TTS) for pure turbo rush shift after shift. And the occasional snort from the blow-off valve on upshifts adds to the entertainment."

"Credit at least some of the TT’s handling prowess to its sport suspension. No, we didn’t perform clandestine modifications to an Audi press vehicle. Apparently, Audi did the modding themselves at the factory, including the 10 mm lowered suspension as part of the S line package. Nice surprise, since neither Audi’s web site nor its online configurator give any hint of it, although it is mentioned in the TT brochure."

Last edited by BD_TT_225; 02-11-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Read this article!

Audi Torques the 2011 TT | QuattroWorld
http://www.quattroworld.com/car-revi...s-the-2011-tt/

"Unlike the TTS, however, no discernable turbo lag further delays forward progress. Maximum torque comes on at a low 1600 rpm (900 rpm lower than the TTS) for pure turbo rush shift after shift. And the occasional snort from the blow-off valve on upshifts adds to the entertainment."

"Credit at least some of the TT’s handling prowess to its sport suspension. No, we didn’t perform clandestine modifications to an Audi press vehicle. Apparently, Audi did the modding themselves at the factory, including the 10 mm lowered suspension as part of the S line package. Nice surprise, since neither Audi’s web site nor its online configurator give any hint of it, although it is mentioned in the TT brochure."
Last edited by BD_TT_225; Today at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jamesastro
I'm continuing to battle with my decision. Should I get a TT or TTS?

Many TTS owners say the car is amazing if it is chipped. However, I'd like to know how it performs when unchipped. I drive in 20% city traffic, 80% highway traffic, and I'm the kind of driver who leaves it in "D" most of the time. I also like curvy mountain roads now and then. My biggest concern is that the TTS turbo won't kick in until 2500 RPM, and thus it might feel slower than the TT in most situations.

So...comparing a stock fully loaded TT to a stock fully loaded TTS, which would you prefer?
I have driven both the TTS and the new EA88 TT with the new engine. Based on your. The same amount of torque as the TTS, starting at much lower RPM ( I think 1600 ?)

If you arent gonna chip it, and drive in D, that's the car you want. I wringed out a TTS and found you had to be really aggressive in the rev range and use the manual paddles to really get the car to dance (Coming from a Apr Stage 2+ GTi, same engine as TTS with a smaller faster spool up turbo and I have about 290-300 ft/lbs of torque)
Old 02-10-2012, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

hmmm not letting me edit....

Having driven the 2011+ TT with the exhaust valve variable timing, it had good punch of the line and for passing, even in "D"

Felt a bit more suited to public driving, zipping into passing lanes ect...
Old 02-11-2012, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnb1977
hmmm not letting me edit....

Having driven the 2011+ TT with the exhaust valve variable timing, it had good punch of the line and for passing, even in "D"

Felt a bit more suited to public driving, zipping into passing lanes ect...
Off the line, esp. if you're not gunning it, that may be so, and if most of your driving is in the city at low speed then this may very well be the preferred choice. (I'd probably also rather have the extra ride height if I were driving in the city all the time too.)

As to passing, what you're saying empirically makes no sense - at freeway speed the TTS is already at 3000 RPM and making just as much torque, so it's certainly not slower even if you don't feed it enough throttle to induce a downshift.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Again, by the numbers, there is no difference between the two from 0-30. After that, and in all instances where the spin is 2500 or more, the TTS is solid gone.

If off-the-line zip is a requirement, both of these will statistically be "lagging" behind greater displacement engines...
Old 02-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi Folks,

I started this thread last week, and I have an update...

Last weekend I drove the TT and TTS. I took the TT on a long test drive, and was able to keep the TTS overnight. Both cars were amazing. I love the styling, the interior, performance, and handling of both cars. For anyone trying to decide between the two cars, I don't think you can go wrong. You'll love either car.

Here were my impressions:

* The TT is probably the better choice if you do mostly city driving. It feels a little snappier at low speeds (especially when the transmission is in "D").

* The TTS is easily the best car for the highway and twisty back roads. I do mostly highway driving, and after driving both cars I knew the TTS was for me. I ordered one the next day.

* I particularly enjoyed the TTS, because it has two personalities. When you are in a mellow driving mood, just keep the transmission in "D" and the sport button off. The suspension is softer in that mode, and you get decent gas mileage. However, on days when you are feeling more aggressive, put the transmission in "S" or "M", turn on the sport button, and the car transforms! It's a totally different driving experience. Curvy on-ramps, mountain roads, and the passing lane are now your favorite places to be.

* Previously I wasn't the type of driver who cared about having manual control over gears. (I've been driving an SUV for the last 6 years.) I can tell that will change with the TTS. Even when I'm in a mellow driving mood, the TTS makes it so easy to zip around another car. Just tap the left paddle shifter, put the pedal down, and the car takes off like a rocket.

Now I just have to wait a few months for my car to arrive.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jamesastro
Hi Folks,

* The TTS is easily the best car for the highway and twisty back roads. I do mostly highway driving, and after driving both cars I knew the TTS was for me. I ordered one the next day.
Whoa, whoa, whoa, pardner! You don't drop a grenade like that without some details, pal!

Package? Color? Interior? MMI?

Give!
Old 02-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

LOL, I love this forum. You guys crack me up.

Here is the car that I ordered:

2012 Audi TTS
Scuba blue exterior
Black interior
Prestige package
MMI with iPod integration

Oh it'll be hard waiting for this car. Now I'm reading the manual to help pass the time.

Quick Reply: TT vs TTS without mods (not chipped)