TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

TTRS is here...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TTRS is here...

Hi All,
picked up the TTRS today there is so much that is GOOD about this car that I will have to report back in a couple of days.

As a taster...the exhaust is glorious, speed is addictive, brakes are VERY strong, steering is ALIVE in my hands. Cornering is FLAT...I am off out for a drive...

One warning - YOU WILL WANT ONE!

See my profile to view first pictures next to Q7.

Last edited by 996CAB; 11-17-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

VERY nice! VERY jealous!
Old 07-31-2009, 12:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi All,
I have now driven the car enough to feel I can comment as an owner. My brief review is based on living with the car for the past 18 hours. Further review will follow in due course I suspect.

EXHAUST - 10/10
It is indeed as described in all former reviews by motor journalist - FABOULOUS. I went for the Sports Exhaust and the noise is just right when the sport button is pressed…not too boy racerish loud and with the roof down just perfect. I will find a 1 mile long tunnel to test the exhaust note further.

BRAKES - 10/10
Herculean! At one point I thought I was going to go through the windscreen when I slammed the brakes. These brakes are damn POWERFUL. No need to upgrade and it wipes speed off with easy.

PERFORMANCE - 9.75/10
Some who have driven the car (with 19” wheels – mine has the standard 18”) claimed that it is not that much quicker than a TTS…hmmm, I beg to differ. You will need a Gallardo or LP640 to get similar speed uptake. YES, more BHP and torque would be welcomed however the damn car is just so finely balanced that I am not sure more power would make it ‘better’. I may re-map and use it for a week to see how much different it is. My view is that the car is fast enough.

STEERING – 10/10
It is sharp and engaging – not sure why everyone else claims the Cayman S is better. I have driven the Cayman S and in my view it is a matter of preference. Both are fine machines and either steering just approaches the same job differently.

FUN FACTOR – 10/10
Well, mine is a roadster with the performance and sounds to boot…need I say more!

HANDLING
The car is docile when just ambling along in 6th gear at 40MPH. Drop to 2nd and slam the accelerator pedal and you really have to hang on for dear life. The car follows the road camber with such poise and precision that it makes driving very fast so much easier and fun. I have Audi Magnetic Ride and IMHO it is a MUST for all buyers of TTRS.

SPORTS BUTTON - 10/10
This is the one thing that almost all reports claimed YOU NEED TO PRESS IT TWICE – that is simply UNTRUE. One press to engage sports mode and that is it. The ride becomes firm and the exhaust note changes. You can actually hear the flap opening in the exhaust…CLASS!

CONCLUSION
1) Would I change anything specced = NO!
2) Would I buy another TTRS – YES!
3) Is it worth the money for a ‘TT’ – YES
4) Would I ever sell it – Only for an R8 Spider…and even then probably keep both.
5) Negatives points – Took Audi too long to deliver the car…over 2 years of Rumours.
6) Positive points – Quality ‘small’ sports car at relatively bargain base price!

Last edited by 996CAB; 04-15-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Oh God, yes please! I SO hope this comes to Canada!

If not, I'm coming over there for a ride! I hadn't thought about the RS for a while because the initial hype died down a bit on the forums. Now your brief summary (great, BTW) has me crossing my fingers again in hopes that it makes it across the pond.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Further updates after yesterday having done extensive driving - added 220 miles in traffic, on motorways, on B-roads and on A-roads...BTW I am based in the UK and the B-roads can be a 'little' bit awful.

HANDLING - I did not give it any marks earlier because I had not driven the car enough. I will give that 10/10 now I have done a number of mixed driving. Basically, the car is as brave as you dare...point it into any corner or bend and mash the gas...and it goes. IF you push hard enough you can just feel it 'slide' round bends. As time goes on and I build up more confidence, I will switch off the ESP and do further testing. Again, contrary to the motoring press (most of whom are biased play station-generation / arm-chair 'racers'), handling is on par to the Cayman S I drove...they are both fab machines and go about the same job differently. It is a matter of preference IMO.

OVERALL - 9.99 / 10
You may ask why not 10/10.

Well, IMO, the car can clearly handle more BHP and higher torque thus Audi should have bitten the bullet and given this beast at least 450BHP and 600NM torque. That would simply shut many people up. The trouble with that though - IMO - is that, any tuning after that will turn that car in to a widow maker like a Porsche GT2 (996 & 997). Also it will make R8 (V8 and V10), RS4 and RS6 drivers feel cheated! Why? Because IF Audi, a quality brand, can make such a devil little 'sports' car for the bargain base price then why bother with the rest of the 'sports' car range?

So, the TT RS is 'just' perfect with ONLY 335BHP - owners like myself who also own other higher performance cars will ALWAYS mod any STD car unless it is an LP640 or a Carrera GT - both of which are widow makers from the factory anyhow so you will not mod those unless you simply feel suicidal ALL THE TIME or the wife just drives you mad ALL the time!!!

I think the TT RS is a wakeup call for BMW, MERCS etc. Why? Well if you took me as an example buyer, I wanted a small fast sports car that I can use regardless of the weather to add to my fleet. I also wanted something that did not standout too much thus stealth. I did look at Cayman S; SLK AMG; BMW M-Power. For me, they were all fine machines but did not meet all the criteria. More importantly, TT RS had the performance - on paper anyway and now I have driven the car, paper facts do not do it justice! - and I can mod if necessary, the right looks and from a leading quality brand with 3-years warranty. It was a no brainer.

Bye for now, more review to follow in a few days time.

Last edited by 996CAB; 11-15-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

My last update for this weekend of my new TT RS Roadster - see my profile for pictures, now with 600 miles.

HISTORY on my TT RS Roadster - I ordered the car back in April 09 and collected it from my local Audi dealer on Thursday 30th July evening with 10 miles on the clock. Since then, I have done 600 miles. I will summarise all the different areas thus far.

EXHAUST - still 10/10. The sound is simply awesome; admittedly I have the Sports Exhaust Option. I have as yet to find a tunnel so that I can hear it properly however it is very good indeed.

BRAKES - 10/10...no need to comment further!

PERFORMANCE - 9.75/10...I will now give it 10/10. The speed uptake is breath taking. I 'chased' a 997 Carrera (not an S) and he simply could not get away and I had plenty in reserve to OVERTAKE him if I wanted to. The Roadster was just ambling along and it was VERY VERY STABLE!

STEERING – 10/10...still the same and fab indeed. I must say though that I did drop the 18" tyres PSI from manufacturer recommended 35PSI for fronts and 29PSI for rears down to 32PSI for fronts and 27PSI for rears. These were cold PSI. The car does take on a different level of grip. It was not as 'edgy' as before and that suited me. Basically find a bend, point, floor the throttle and hang on to the steering wheel. Car does the rest and the heart rate increase dramatically...well, for me it did. Fab, fab fab fine damn car!

FUN FACTOR – 10/10...YEP no need to comment further...!

HANDLING – 10/10...just awesome!
So, my long weekend has ended with the car living up to my expectation after 600 miles dry driving in blazing sunshine on Friday then driving in torrid rain on Saturday and back to driving today – sunny spells with a few spates of rain on a windy day. I drove extensively on motorways, in the city stuck in 5MPH traffic for an hour, on A-roads, on B-roads, on speed humps and the car just takes things in its stride and delivers for me all that I expected of it.
I expect the handling, performance, exhaust and brakes to get better as the car beds in over the next few thousand miles and my acquaintance to this fabulous machine increases.
As I said before, the Press writing about a car after an hour or so drive is complete waste of time. They need to spend some time with the car as I have done and they will find that it is simply faultless. Sure more power ‘may’ be welcomed however I was hardly in need of it. During my weekend drive, I did not miss power nor was I feeling I needed more from the car. The interior finish is 1st class, the seats were very comfortable – I have bucket seats – and the car performed without missing a heartbeat all throughout the long weekend.
Oh! I indeed have a complaint to make about the car...the stereo system is rubbish and Audi would have been better off just not installing one – the sound quality is truly awful.

Anyway, that is it for me.

The only strange incident happened on the Friday on my way to work. I was on a B-road at 6AM in the morning when I noticed a pigeon about 100 meters ahead. As I was approaching it, it attempted to fly off so I attempted to swerve out of the way. It flew in to the passenger door/wing mirror and broke the wing mirror of its hinge. I was gutted however that should cost no more than £250 to replace the internal parts – plastics – which had been broken. A stop at the next service e station and the purchase of electrical tape did the trick.

Car will be going in hopefully next week to have that repaired.

Last edited by 996CAB; 09-24-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just stop it.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Regina_TTS/Q5
Just stop it.
...am really sorry...hehehehehehehe
Old 08-04-2009, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

pics?
Old 08-04-2009, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audi_dtw
pics?
see my profile for the few pics. Hope to get more this weekend coming - if weather is OK.

Quick Reply: TTRS is here...