TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

TTRS + Pagid + Haldex comp + Yokohama + alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TTRS + Pagid + Haldex comp + Yokohama + alignment

I blew through my stock tires and brakes in just three track days. So I made some changes.

The Yokohama AD08's are excellent. Tire temps were WAY down for the Toyo's, even though I was pulling faster laps. I saw my speeds increase, possibly due to the increased traction. Faster exit speeds let me get on the gas earlier.

Changing the pads is a must, so is high temp brake fluid. I actually think I never fully embraced the new pads on the track. I kept to old muscle memory, but I think there was more there. Fade did not happen this time out.

The track alignment appeared to make a difference. Tire temps were far more even across tread. The car felt more keen to turn in, it also felt more stable during heavy breaking.

Okay the Haldex. I did not notice it at first, but it became apparent when I really pushed. At first I was not a fan, the car became too tail happy. Less controlled, the rear started to really slide around, and not in a linear way like my Aston. This was more hair triggered. I had to be less ham fistedcwith my driving nthe TTRS in stock form was masking/encouraging bad behavior. I had to drive it like an AWD car, but feather it more like a RWD. I had to be aware of the rear of the car. It's funny how this car makes you forget what's happening behind the driver.

So, what happened next? I settled into it, and turned four personal best times!! I was 0.5 seconds faster than my personal best on most laps. For ultimate bragging rights, it's not as much of a win, but it was faster and way more consistent. Inthinknthere is more time in there for me to exploit.

Haldex Competition: it's a very interesting mod. On the street, nothing. At speed you can feel it working. The push out of corners works wonders, especially high speed drifts. Honestly makes the car feel much more RWD. At times I would hear a mechanical sound that was similar to a skid plate bottoming out. A kind of chirping, is this binding? It happens right after a hot corner entry.

Overall this was my favorite outing in the TTRS. I think there is more on tap for me to exploit. I'm likely the thing that needs upgrading most.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

What size / spec AD08 are you running?

In looking online I've found very limited tire selection for the RS. All the tires I'm interested in don't come in the right size, or don't have the correct load rating.

Even when I check on the AD08, it isn't "XL" rated so nobody wants to install it on a car or take responsibility for it. The only tires I found that I would be interested in that are "in spec" are Pilot SS & RE11's.

Are you running aftermarket (18"?) wheels?
Old 04-30-2012, 05:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Yokohama AD08

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....AD08&tab=Specs

Went with stock size: 255/35/R19

The car weighs 3320 lbs
The load rating on the Yokohamas is 1389 lbs per tire
5556 in total.

Is this not correct?
Old 05-01-2012, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm not saying what is or is not correct.
Audi specified a XL load rated tire, which is why the AD08's don't show up when you do a search by vehicle.

Not saying you'll ever have a problem or otherwise, I was hoping you actually found an AD08 in XL that I wasn't aware of.

When they factor in what load rating to use, they use the GAWR, or what the car weights fully loaded with luggage/ passengers and a full tank. This is the worst case scenario. The TT-RS GAWR is around 4100-4200lbs. It has a static weight distribution of about 60/40. That places just over 2500lbs static on the front axle, or nearing 1300lbs (your tires limit). Now, you do some aggressive driving and stomp the break pedal and you are now far exceeding the weight limit of the tire, and it's under extreme stress.

I'd imagine even at curb weight while hard on the brakes you might get close to the load limits of the tire. With 96/XL Tires, they are over 1500lbs each and can carry far more due to increase high pressure capability. Even at nominal pressures, they can safely hold the full curb weight of the car on the 2 front tires alone.

I'm assuming you aren't driving around with 3 adult passengers and luggage while racing, but you can see why they play it safe.

Thanks.

Last edited by joneze93tsi; 05-01-2012 at 04:42 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yep, makes sense. While searching it never came up. I can say the Toyo's hit 160f on the track (surface temp). The yokohamas only hit 115f
Old 12-23-2012, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

OP:

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just ordered a 2013 TTRS and I was curious why you selected the ADV 08 over the RE-11's as they are XL rated and are top ranked in the "extreme" category on the Tire Rack.

I have no experience with the ADV 08, but have used the RE-11's on previous 335i and M3's and they are amazing.

Just curious if you thought about the RE-11's at all