TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

TTS with DSG

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TTS with DSG

Ok...I read many articles about the 3.2 TT versus the TTS. A lot of complaining about the TTS not having a real manual. The fact is, many (Porsche especially) high end performance car makers are going more and more with the dual clutch gearbox...and the sales have been very good.

I tested an M5 at Liverstone in England with BMW's early SMG, and it was poor...SEAT was there with the Leon 2.0T CUPRA with DSG, and it ran circles around the BMW. BMW has since switched to a dual clutch gearbox, and it is much better.

I have raced cars since 1977, and professionally since 1985. Our DSG equipped VW SCCA T3 GTI's are a blast to drive....on the race track, I certainly prefer the DSG box over a true manual (we have REVO performance DSG software on them). On the street, I really liked my A3 with DSG, but really love my TTS. The speed of the shifting is fabulous, and I don't miss not having a clutch pedal...it really makes for great left foot braking!

I don't have a lag problem at all, but it might be due to the REVO software we use. I am not knocking the 3.2 at all, in fact, we have a proposal out to Grand-Am to run the MK II TT 3.2 in the KONI Challenge...(they don't want the TTS because it is too powerful)....and I look forward to building the car and getting rid of about 300 lbs.

The fit and trim of the MK I TT's interior is wonderful. I would put my 182,000 mile TT up against most Boxster that we see in my shop with much less mileage. My new TTS, though, is even better. Kudos to AUDI for the quality of their interiors.

To recap, personal preference...I have driven extensively most AUDI's...having even raced the UR Quattro for AUDI back in 1985. I have seen their products develop over the last several years. They keep getting better. I am a hard-core racer...and I prefer the DSG (S-tronic) for my street car....again...that is my personal preference. If you haven't driven it, or had several laps on a race track, then you haven't experienced it to it's fullest.

Don Istook
(817)690-6747
Old 11-22-2009, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had never wanted an auto tranny but chronic problems with my knee forced me to give up on it....and am glad I did as it led to my first TT with DSG (3.2L roadster). Agree with you about the interior of the MK2....easily one of the most comfortable and nicely laid out of any similar priced sports car on the market. Find your comment about REVO interesting. Drove 2 TTS prior to buying a 2009 TT...could not stand the lag, which would not alays happen but was there. I too much like a fast start and have been caught in bad OMG situations with lag in the past (2001 A4 turbo). Find lag too scary and frustrating to risk having...counterintuitive for a sports car. What you suggest with REVO means Audi could fix the problem?

BosTTon
Old 11-26-2009, 01:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always drove manuals as well (NSX, S2000, EVO IX, Prelude, 535i...) I decided to test drive the TT 2.0TFSI DSG and wow, was I impressed. I happily gave up the 3rd pedal for this beautiful tranny. I have had my 09 TT for the past 3 months now, and absolutely love it.

It kinda fits between a Evo and a S2k, sizewize, performance, etc.. It is a LOT more comfortable and classy than the other cars as well...

TOTALLY happy 09 TT 2.0TFSI Owner