TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Upgrading stereo info

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice!!!

I'll be installing a Kenwood DNX6140 very soon in my MK2-- May I ask where you had the BT mic. and GPS Ant. mounted? Did you do steering wheel controls as well, if so, do they work well? TIA!!!!

Enjoy your new radio!!!!
Old 04-16-2009, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm very happy for you Steve. Next stop for you is AVIC411.com My TT is at Audi Manhattan still, I truly hate those people there. Have fun man, trust me you won't miss the RNS-E!
Old 04-16-2009, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks I do like it alot. The mic is placed by the rear view mirror coming out of the lining. The install guy just took off the pillars and ran it up there and its clip right to the lining, this keeps wind noise from messing it up. I had the GPS placed in the front middle right behind the middle speaker up front, again they ran the wire along the dash tucked in so all you see is the GPS antenna and a 1/4 of cable. My Ipod is in the glove box. Steering wheel controls work great.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default couple more of the GPS ant and mic

not very good but you can get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails Upgrading stereo info-stereo-001.jpg   Upgrading stereo info-stereo-002.jpg  
Old 04-18-2009, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Finally, I picked up my car. This radio is amazing, sound quality is 100% better, trust me an a true audio freak. The installation was finally done my way, very correct and clean. As OEM as it can get, everything is out of eye site. After my nightmare with the dealer I can finally enjoy my system. I'm a very happy dude. RNS-E? NOT A CHANCE..
Old 04-19-2009, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Lets see some pics.!!! where did you have the gps. ant. and BT mic placed?
Old 04-19-2009, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

I will be taking some pictures this week for you guys. The GPS antenna is behind the dash and the mic is next to the OEM mic on the top middle part of the car, you can't even see a thing. I love it. MAJOR no wait, HUGE difference between the RNS-E and the Pioneer AVIC-F90BT. The sound quality, the display is so crisp, watch movies from your video iPod, etc. And the head unit can be expanded to do so much more ( AVIC411.com ) I will recommend this to anyone that love a great sound quality!
Old 07-23-2009, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm getting the Kenwood DNX6140 for my 2008 TT. I saw the list of the 4 necessary items at the top of this thread, but I didn't see a wiring harness as part of that list.

Does anyone know if a wiring harness is needed for a double-din radio, or is that what the "steering wheel kit" is?

Thanks!

densming
Old 08-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kvn22
The sound quality is 100% better with this new head unit man. I can't wait to get my car back. I was going to do a full JL Audi but my good friend Reme ( the brains behind Unique Auto ) told me to first do the head unit and see if I like the sound and if not then go JL. He will build me a one off box for my TT. I'll do it in the future.
Lol at the Reme mention -- definitely a good friend to have. I am very much enjoying the "Unique Whips" show on the HD Speed channel. Reme does some amazing fiberglass work -- very creative.

Might have to go check out their site for once, to see if they have any pictures of TT work they've done. I got the "premium" stereo with my roadster but it does sound a bit muddy (especially because the left door speaker is pretty much always covered by my calf).
Old 08-06-2009, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Steve and Kvn22,

Please help me to understand this as I've tried to research what I can do with my new TT stereo.

As I understand this discussion, you installed the new HU and controls adaptor for the steering wheel. How does the HU connect to the amp? Does the amp take aftermarket style pre-out cables? I'm assuming you kept the factory amp and speakers, is that right? Finally, assuming I'm not missing something and the amp/speakers are factory, you found that changing the HU alone made the sound much better? My complaints about the system are treble harshness (especially at higher volumes), need for a bit more volume at times, and lack of bass.

Thanks!

Ken

Quick Reply: Upgrading stereo info