TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

What mods to your car will kill your Audi warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What mods to your car will kill your Audi warranty?

I have heard a lot of different things, but I am looking to see what is the truth before I even think of going to far?

So what does Audi consider a no-no-

Exhaust, Down pipe, etc?

Chip, (re-programming, etc?

Brakes ?

Suspension (of any type) ?

Aftermarket body kits (though I don't think so)?

Be warned after you answer I may have a lot more questions!!!
Old 08-11-2007, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default A mod will void the warranty to parts of the car it affects.

For example, you put on new springs and they won't cover the shocks. Get a chip and they won't cover the motor, possibly the tranny, rear end, etc.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: What mods to your car will kill your Audi warranty?

The use of performance software (especially on turbocharged vehicles) is the easiest/most common way that someone can void their warranty. This is just based off of past experience. Im not saying you're guranteed to have warranty problems with a chip...but your dealer can really tear you a new one if anything breaks in terms of the engine or transmission etc etc. As far as suspension/exhaust systems go...you're typically not going to have any issues with those in terms of warranty.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Not necessiarly.

In a case like say an exhaust...if there is a problem with the item that wass replaced, like the exhaust, or say you put suspension...and there is a problem with the spring/coilover...then yes...that unique item Audi would not work on, as its not OEM...

However, if you get a ECU flash that does not mean your engine, turbo etc warrenty is gone.

First of all there needs to be a problem with said item for it to ever be a concern and secondly, if there is a problem, to void a warrenty on said item, Audi has to prove that your modification caused this problem.

Bottomline, work closely, have a good relationship with your service writer and techs. Treat them well and they will you, chat em up, bring em some donughts, if they do well by you, rate them appropiatly in the Audi follow up survey with all 5's and leave a good VM at the end of the call that will go to the GM of the dealer.

If you have a dealer that isnt very "friendly" and your in a big city, go to another dealer.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I think you're 100% correct except I don't think they have to prove an aftermarket part caused...

...the problem. Unfortunately, I believe the law favors the manufacturer in this area but that may vary by interpretation and maybe even state to state.

It's a grey line for sure and getting on the good side of your service rep can go a long way in ensuring that you have little trouble with warranty claims. Although, if I plan on modding my car I try to keep the mindset that if something goes wrong and it's related to the mod I did then I don't expect the dealer to fix it for free (but it doesn't hurt to see if they will). If it's something that's related to my mod but failure was unlikely due to the mod then I expect I'll have to discuss it with the service rep and hope they'll agree but I can't expect them to.