TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

who here plans on doing something about the sub par sound system choices?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who here plans on doing something about the sub par sound system choices?

I have a B6 w/bose now, although not great, it at least had decent imaging and sound stage. I used to be in the Audio business years ago and really was quite disappointed with both the "base" and Bose upgraded sound system. I was thinking about just replacing the components (I'm ordering a car with the base system) with MB Quarts front and rear and adding some type of small-medium size sub, possibly even something like a basslink. I don't want huge bass, just a clean sound. what do you guys think? of sourse part of me is thinking a new 300/4 or one of my old ppi amps and a cleansweep would do wonders......
Old 08-06-2007, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blech, MBQuart. So many better sounding components out there.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:03 AM

I would put the money into other things then Audio. IMO.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Mk2 owners should join together in complaining to Audi about the pitiful Bose . . .

So far, I've only read one positive review of the Bose system from new owners. Quite honestly, the Bose system in my Mk1 seems to sound better than the one in the Mk2s I've tested. It's criminal that Audi delivers so little for so much cost. Better audio systems are available in Hyundais! It's all rather ironic, since Audi means, roughly, "to hear" in Latin. Guess they've got a tin ear where the TT is concerned.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:09 AM

Default They more I read reviews and owner rants...

the happier I am that I didnt get it....IPod as well.

That said, Im wondering if the sound is bad not just becuase of the speakers, but the set up, placement and design of the cabin acoustically?

I mean all other Audi's have BOSE products, B&O excluded, and while BOSE is not great in my A4, it doesnt sound horrible. Granted, I never worried about testing BOSE in the TT as I knew I was gonna for go it.

Can someone that currently has BOSE in another Audi model, compare and contrast to that of the TT?
Old 08-06-2007, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default I had BOSE in MkI and the new MK2, I think it sounds better in the MK2

I think what people are complaining about (BOSE wise), it that they're all accustomed to the artificially exaggerated booming Bass, and the BOSE is not that kind of system. It won't allow you to take a track and boost the crap out of it.

I find the BOSE very accurate, with a good sound stage (for a car). It isn't boomy. However, if you give it a source that has a lot of Bass (Say New Order's - Substance), it seem to be just fine, and will rattle the windows. It will also adjust the frequency response (not just volume) of the source based on the noise levels in the car.

If you're expecting to take a track that isn't recorded with a overly strong Bass-line (The Police - Don't stand so close to me), and want the BOSE system to do so, it just isn't going to happen.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Is it THAT bad ?

I have an A4 with the upgraded Bose. It sounds really, really good compared to my 2004 Saab 9-3 (even after I upgraded the speakers to Boston Acoustics). And it sounds somewhat better than the stereo in my wife's 2001 9-3 SE. The soundstage is better than the Saab, the imaging is better, the bass is not muddy and the car doesn't rattle when you crank it.

To put all this in perspective, I have over 10 grand in audio gear at home. Energy and Misson speakers, Cambridge, NAD and Adcom gear, AR turntable, Linn tonearm. Yes it sounds better than the car, but I've never heard any car stereo that sounds like it. Even nice HK and B&O systems in high end cars.

I bought my TT with the upgraded Bose without even auditioning the sound. The dealer had a 3.2 roadster and a 2.0 coupe and I never even bothered to turn the stereo on. The sound of the 3.2 engine sold me.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default JeffreyTT is correct. I'm happy with the BOSE.

It sounds great with actual store bought cd's. Not so great with downloaded music. I find that if i'm listening to a song purchased from itunes , the sound quality comes across better than other songs on the ipod.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Bose not meant to rattle car apart

I dont think Bose was meant to be a loud thumping rattle the car apart stereo. It was meant for a good crisp stereo that plays at a decent volume and has clarity so you can hear all the notes and words.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Blech, MBQuart. So many better sounding components out there.

well, I've been out of the scene for a few years. back when I was into it, quarts were what you ran if you didn't want to drop massive $$ on a set of A/D/S comps or Focal's. what would you reccomend? keep in mind, I'm a little biased to the brands I used to sell/install...JL, Quart, Focal, ppi, Xtant, Eclipse etc, we carried the best stuff at the time (I know things have changed and some have gone downhill in quality). what's gonna give me what I'm loooking for? I'm not into loud, or lots of bass, I just want a nice natural, balanced, clean sound -- I'm not looking to drop 500+ as set either, so no rainbows or anything, thats a slippery slope for me.

Quick Reply: who here plans on doing something about the sub par sound system choices?