TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Winter Driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Driving

Do any of you plan on using your 08 for winter driving. Both coupe and roadster drivers?

I would think that since they are mostly Aluminum they would not be likely to rust.

Do you think they would handel well in the winter snow and ice?
Old 08-20-2007, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Quattro would be AOK. With FWD (TT or other), you'd need to take extra precautions.

Never thought about the benefit of having aluminum for the rust protection, but that's is a plus. Keep in mind though that a portion of the rear is still steel, so you'd still want to take extra care to get the salt washed off.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Quattro would be AOK. With FWD (TT or other), you'd need to take extra precautions.

Yea I haven't figured out what I am going to do yet but I have a quattro 3.2 and I am sick of buying beaters for the winter. My S2000 simply can't be driven in the winter but I think the Quattro could so I am thinking of. I might get the rear portion undercoated if i do.

All I know is that other people have more expensive cars then this and drive them all year long and after many rears of winter driving they still look good and aren't rusted out if they take care of them.

I even have my winter beaters underbody washed in the winter. I take care of all my cars.

At any rate I am just curious what others are going to do.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Put snows on

I'd put 4 good snow tires on (I use Dunlop Sport M3) on 16" rims and away you go.

Don't waste your money on undercoat. It will actually void the factor rust warranty and in any modern European car you sure as heck don't need it. I've driven Saabs and Audis for 25 years through all manner of winters with narry a fleck of body rust.

Just got through a car was with an underbody spray once in a while and you will be fine.

Just got my 3.2 Quattro MT6 on Friday and drove to Niagara-on-the-lake for the weekend. Great car...doesn't make enough noise though. My neighbour drove by on Friday in his 911 C4. It makes great mechanical noises, even at idle.

I can confirm in A/B testing that the Bose in the TT isn't as good as the Bose in the B7 A4 that I traded in. Other than that I'm liking the car. So is our 80 lb German Shepherd.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:46 AM
jq
Audiworld Junior Member

Default AWD vs FWD traction...

Just remember AWD is only good for accelerating in adverse condtions vs FWD. Braking is the same regardless, so good tires will make the diference of where you stop.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:34 AM

Default Re: Quattro would be AOK. With FWD (TT or other), you'd need to take extra precautions.

Thanks for the tips. What did you mean spray the underbody once and a while? Do you mean at the car wash or with a rust resistant spary?

If you want to hear some cool engine noise drive a Honda S2000. I love mine so much I decided to keep it after I bought the TT. You can never have to many sports cars, and if you don't have a wife to drive you crazy you can get away with it

But the TT is a much nicer all arround car. It has similar performance specs and the TT but is so much smaller and not as comfortable, it was the best car mechanically I ever owned.

I have had my TT for 1 1/2 months and I am getting the impression that it will be every bit as good a car as far as "no maintenance
Old 08-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default It's good for accelerating in the dry too.. =) It does help braking, by giving the rear end some....

extra weight..
Old 08-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Modern cars dont rust for the most part. My 98 A4 has barely any rust on it...

and what little bits it has are directly related to stone chips on the leading edge of the hood, and on the tailgate where it's been whacked on things.

this after 9 Vermont winters.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

spray the underbody at the carwash. Usually a buck more.