TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

2018 Audi TT amp and sub install

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Audi TT amp and sub install

i just purchased a 2018 audi tt and need some advice on the best way to hook the line out converter to the 12 speaker Bang & Olufson sound system. It has the virtual cockpit no aftermarket deck all factory. I really dont want to cut any wires if possible. Battery is in the trunk under spare tire. I think the factory amp is under the driver seat. Im hoping i can keep all the work in the trunk. The best easiest approach would be ideal. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-07-2020, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd be interested in what people have done, myself.
The B&O system is a sad piece of kit. I haven't done anything to my 2016 TTS as I will probably move to a 2020 or 21. But, it would be nice to get some ideas.
Bob
Old 06-07-2020, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I will be picking up a TTRS this weekend and will be following thread for advice. AFAIK, the easiest way to setup a TT/S/RS is to use a powered sub and tap the rear speakers for input. Plenty of retailers sell small or underseat subs that can sit on rear floorboards. I think most people find this sufficient for bass response. If anyone has a better solution I'd love to read about it.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 53 Posts

Hey y'all. I've done a lot of research on this myself because the B+O is great but badly needs a sub. The problem at the end of the day is there's no way to really get a low-frequency line out to feed a sub amp. The signal going to the B+O amp under the driver's seat is digital optical (MOST bus), and all the speakers are getting audio that's "high passed" (low freq's maybe around 75 and below removed since the woofers can't make that low of tone anyway), so even if you skim one of the front door woofers, you still won't be getting the full low-frequency audio. Literally the only real way to do it is to skim audio going over the optical MOST bus from the MMI in the glovebox to the B+O amp, and as an electrical engineer I'd literally have to get a probably $500 board and write firmware to do that, so I've pretty much given up.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

That is interesting information. Thank you for sharing your findings!
Old 06-13-2020, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So, I don't know what they tapped into to get this working, but this is a picture of my current setup in the TTRS. It sounds amazing, and TBH has more bass than I really need, but it really fleshed out the lack of lows for the stock B&O. It is this sub at this link: Kicker Hideaway

Old 06-13-2020, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Did you need to remove the spare tire?
B
Old 06-14-2020, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't, but that is because the TTRS doesn't have a spare.
Old 06-14-2020, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey can you post the company or shop that did the kicker install?? I just bought my TTRS yesterday and it's time for more Bass!

The following users liked this post:
macaddict111 (06-17-2020)
Old 06-14-2020, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

there should be an older post on here where somone posted the diagram on which cables to tap into to add sub to the Amp. I had it done on my 2018 TTS with B&O which should be the same as the RS. Under the driver's seat is the Amp, guide said to remove the seat but my buddy (audi tech) was able to put the seat to highest setting and able to unbolt the amp to remove it without removing hte seat. I had a JL 8" sub with built-in amp which had high-level input. I tapped the cables using posi-tap (no remote cable needed but ymmv depending on what amp you have). We had removed the rear seats to run the cables which you can also run it under the carpet as well to the trunk. Made for clean install. In the trunk, you just install the power cable into the battery and find a nice ground location. The sub also had a bass **** which i ran under the carpet as well and velcro'd it to my driver seat out of sight but still reachable when i needed to adjust. I have a 18' TTRS now but havnet installed the sub yet since i dont listen to music at loud volumes anymore. Mainly just listen to the engine/exhaust note
The following users liked this post:
macaddict111 (06-17-2020)

Quick Reply: 2018 Audi TT amp and sub install