TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

2018 TT RS OLED tail lights US Spec

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 TT RS OLED tail lights US Spec

I just picked up my TT RS with Dynamic Plus package and I can't figure out how to make the OLED tail lights do this animation. Any idea if it is in the US spec car? I'm gonna be sad if they removed this for the US.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GleefulDef...restricted.gif
Old 08-05-2017, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would doubt they removed it. Does it do it on start up or when you lock the car?

Maybe look in the manual under lighting. I would think they would have some mention of the Oled's in there. Maybe something you have to enable in the menus?
Old 08-05-2017, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Rapture
I would doubt they removed it. Does it do it on start up or when you lock the car?

Maybe look in the manual under lighting. I would think they would have some mention of the Oled's in there. Maybe something you have to enable in the menus?
I was hoping it was a setting I could just flip ON and be on my way. I don't see anything listed under Vehicle settings related to this. The manual is shared for TT/TTS/TTRS and there isn't a lot of RS specific things in it. Luckily the online manual is searchable. No mention of "OLED" and only four mentions of "tail lights".

Things I have tried so far to trigger it:
- Press unlock on the key
- Double click unlock on the key
- Triple click unlock on the key
- Start the car

If you are in a bright space the lights don't come on when you unlock. If you are in a dark space the tail lights come on, but instant ON and no animation.

If you watch the first 10 seconds of this video it seems like all you have to do is unlock the car.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I tried to respond yesterday, but it said something about the message needing moderator approval (maybe because I included a youtube link? Maybe once it's approved I will have a double post.).

Anyways, I don't see anything in the "Vehicle" settings in the car. The manual is for TT/TTS/TTRS and there isn't a lot of RS specific things in it. The online manual is searchable so I tried "OLED" and got zero results and "tail lights" and got four results. No mention of a unlock/start-up animation.

Things I have tried:
- Click unlock on the key
- Double click unlock on the key
- Triple click unlock on the key
- Start the car

Interesting note: in a bright space the lights don't come on at all when unlocking. In a dark space the lights come on immediately instead of the animation sequence. If you go to youtube and search "green tt rs oled", watch the first 10 seconds, it seems like all you do is click unlock with the key to trigger the animation.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yep, that would drive me a bit crazy.

It's possible that Audi had removed the animation via a software change due to some restriction in your country (or at least Audi thinking they needed to remove it). When I had inquired a while back about retrofitting the Oled's here in the U.S. I received a response back form a person at ACNA indicating they may make a kit, but it would require some adaption of the ECM. Maybe try to find another example of someone who has these in NA and se if theirs is working the same way.

I also read that the animation is part of the Coming/Leaving Home feature so that would need to be enabled I believe.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

I took a look at the manual, Page 38 Entry/Exit Lighting. Make sure that is enabled (I think that's the Coming Home feature). Then try to lock/unlock the car in the dark and see if the animation works. You may have to also check how the sensitivity of the light sensor is set.

Hope this works.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That setting is indeed ON (I believe it was even ON by default). The Index of the manual says Coming/Leaving Home is page 38, but there isn't any mention of that on page 38, so it seems like they renamed it to Entry/Exit Lighting for the US.

An interesting note from the UK Pricelist description for the OLED tail lights, "When the car is locked or unlocked the rear lights also display a unique lighting sequence".
Old 08-07-2017, 10:07 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder if this is something that could be coded with VCDS, different functions etc?
Old 08-07-2017, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That's potentially where I see this heading. I really want the animation. The tail lights are truly amazing as is (and I'm super happy I went for the Dynamic Plus package to get them), but the animation would be the icing on the cake.

I have no experience with VCDS, so I'm not sure where to start. I've been reading up on some of the things you can do with it and how you change settings seems kind of arbitrary sometimes. Things like "Unit 52, Byte 4, enable bit 2, enable bit 3". I understand what it is saying to do, but how do you figure out what a change like that does? Is it easy to do some trial and error? Or can you really mess things up if you change something you shouldn't?
Old 08-07-2017, 10:26 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll pull out HEX-NET Pro tomorrow and check it out, it maybe something in the long coding that says "OLED tail lamp mode" with "NA & ROW" selections.

Quick Reply: 2018 TT RS OLED tail lights US Spec