TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

2018 TT RS Turbo Lag

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 12:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2018 TT RS Turbo Lag

I just picked up a TTRS and can't help but notice some obvious turbo lag, or what I believe to be turbo lag. I haven't tested the car out to it's fully capacity yet and it's very much still in the break in period. I drive it in dynamic but with traction control on (for now).

I was wondering if this is just the nature of turbos? I had a GLA45 in the past which had similar turbo lag but I feel as if it's somehow more prominent in the TTRS despite the TTRS having a larger displacement.

Thoughts?
Old 08-22-2017, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've read many reviews but don't recall any mentioning turbo lag, actually just the opposite, lack of it. That doesn't mean however that it does not exist.

My thoughts.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:38 PM
PKT
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darkhorse
I just picked up a TTRS and can't help but notice some obvious turbo lag, or what I believe to be turbo lag. I haven't tested the car out to it's fully capacity yet and it's very much still in the break in period. I drive it in dynamic but with traction control on (for now).

I was wondering if this is just the nature of turbos? I had a GLA45 in the past which had similar turbo lag but I feel as if it's somehow more prominent in the TTRS despite the TTRS having a larger displacement.

Thoughts?
What is your speed and gear are you in when trying to floor it?
Old 08-22-2017, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Thoughts?
Put it in sport mode (pull back on the shift lever) and drive spiritedly so it keeps the revs up, or use manual mode and avoid lugging the engine. It's going to seem lethargic/laggy if you're giving it throttle at 1400 rpm.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The lag is mostly felt off the line. If I gun it there is what feels like 2 seconds of just sort of rolling along before a punch in the gut worth of torque kicks in. It's even more prominent if I'm rolling along very slowly and try to gun it. I can literately feel the gas pedal bottoming out while I wait for the show to start.

The car is fun though. Sounds good and once the boost kicks in it's just insane but sadly my Q3 feels quicker off the line.

We'll see how it feels once the car is broken in and I have had a chance to launch it a few times.

At the end of the day it's still putting a smile on my face and for the money it's one hell of a car.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

As with any turbo, you'll learn to keep some rev's up to "pre-spool" the boost. And Sport mode makes a lot of difference.

Launch mode chirps the tires of my TTS so I'm sure you'll be more than satisfied with your TTRS post break-in. Enjoy!

The lag is mostly felt off the line. If I gun it there is what feels like 2 seconds of just sort of rolling along before a punch in the gut worth of torque kicks in. It's even more prominent if I'm rolling along very slowly and try to gun it. I can literately feel the gas pedal bottoming out while I wait for the show to start.

The car is fun though. Sounds good and once the boost kicks in it's just insane but sadly my Q3 feels quicker off the line.

We'll see how it feels once the car is broken in and I have had a chance to launch it a few times.

At the end of the day it's still putting a smile on my face and for the money it's one hell of a car.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oops, for some reason I thought the car goes automatically into "sport" mode if I set everything to dynamic. Hitting the shifter down has made this puppy exactly what I was looking for. Definitely a lot less laggy now. My bad.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Oops, for some reason I thought the car goes automatically into "sport" mode if I set everything to dynamic. Hitting the shifter down has made this puppy exactly what I was looking for. Definitely a lot less laggy now. My bad.
I had the same realization earlier when tooling around in my car, hence the suggestion. I like that it's an additional step, because I enjoy individual mode with everything dynamic except the suspension, but don't always want to be in the peak power band when cruising. Glad it worked for you!
Old 08-23-2017, 03:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ormandj
I had the same realization earlier when tooling around in my car, hence the suggestion. I like that it's an additional step, because I enjoy individual mode with everything dynamic except the suspension, but don't always want to be in the peak power band when cruising. Glad it worked for you!
Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 08-24-2017, 02:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

When you shut down the engine Sport mode reverts to normal regardless of drive select. Not sure why Audi made this decision, possibly an average fuel economy consideration, but it does give you something interesting to do when the mood strikes.